Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaf blower for drying

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Once you've gone MasterBlaster, you never go back.

But do yourself a favor and buy these from Home Depot:

Old 04-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
It ion-exchange resin essentially strips the minerals that commonly leave water spots on the spots . I wouldn't recommend it but you can pretty much wash a black car in direct sunlight without spotting.

During washing using a PH balanced soap can help remove worry about water spots during washing, and then using DI for final rinse prevents it while you complete the rinse and drying process.
I've seen deionized water in 2 1/2 gallon plastic containers each selling for $22.00 each. Water weighs eight pounds per gallon making each container heavy and difficult to use.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:11 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
What is the purpose of using deionized water on a car vs water from a garden hose? Thank you.
It depends a lot on the hardness of the water in your area. In SoCal, I couldn't wash my car with hose water unless I wiped it dry immediately. If it dried in the sun, there would be horrible white deposits baked onto the surface. So I purchased a de-ionizer and it helped a lot. I don't need it as much here in the Pacific NW, but there is still just enough minerals in my water supply that I use the DI to help. My water comes from local wells. Just to the north, in Vancouver, where their water comes from watershed reservoirs and is very soft, I used to be able to let my car air dry and never had any deposit issues.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:29 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

So we talking about shop vac loud for Metrovac? Does anyone use theirs for vacuuming too? My 15+ yr old GE home canister vac (now doing car vac duty) could use upgrading.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:43 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I've seen deionized water in 2 1/2 gallon plastic containers each selling for $22.00 each. Water weighs eight pounds per gallon making each container heavy and difficult to use.
It seems cheaper to buy distilled water at the grocery store. Only the final rinse needs to be deionized, distilled or rainwater to avoid mineral deposit droplet marks on the finish. If one fills a spray bottle with distilled water and Kodak Photoflow 200, a wetting agent, diluted 1:200 and over sprays the car, while it is still wet, as the last step it should only take about 1 liter. of sprayed fluid, containing 5ml of wetting agent, to avoid watermarks.
I use this process to avoid watermarks on photo film I process and see no reason why it wouldn't work on a car.
We have very hard water here in Richmond, VA
Andy
Old 04-09-2020, 12:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I use a Milwaukee M18 leaf blower. It works. However, you must wet the entire parameter around the ground before using it on your car so that dusts wouldn't get airborne and adhere to the car.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
So we talking about shop vac loud for Metrovac?.
The actual unit itself is pretty quiet running. It's the noise, and frequency, it generates when hitting surfaces, like gaps, and especially the wheels, calipers, and rotors.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:45 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Griot's Garage hand held blower with is pretty much identical to the Master Blaster Sidekick. I use it to blow out the cracks and crevices then use a synthetic chamois for the rest. My water has a lot of calcium, even after softening.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 191 Posts

View this post on Instagram

Even the "little" MetroVac blower does a great job. Been using it for a couple of years now.

I'm afraid about using leaf blowers on cars since not all have filters and particles can become projectiles that can damage your paint. ×
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
It seems cheaper to buy distilled water at the grocery store. Only the final rinse needs to be deionized, distilled or rainwater to avoid mineral deposit droplet marks on the finish. If one fills a spray bottle with distilled water and Kodak Photoflow 200, a wetting agent, diluted 1:200 and over sprays the car, while it is still wet, as the last step it should only take about 1 liter. of sprayed fluid, containing 5ml of wetting agent, to avoid watermarks.
I use this process to avoid watermarks on photo film I process and see no reason why it wouldn't work on a car.
We have very hard water here in Richmond, VA
Andy
Andy,
Seems overcomplicated. Multiple types of water and concentrations. And, Kodak Photoshop 200? I have no idea where to buy Kodak Photoshop 200.
Several trips to acquire the materials during an unprecedented and life threatening Covid-19 stay at home order.
Can your procedure be simplified?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:29 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks LexVan, I have seen "reviews" where all they do is talk about it, but not many that demonstrate actual use. Or they mute the sound.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KeninBlaine
It depends a lot on the hardness of the water in your area. In SoCal, I couldn't wash my car with hose water unless I wiped it dry immediately. If it dried in the sun, there would be horrible white deposits baked onto the surface. So I purchased a de-ionizer and it helped a lot. I don't need it as much here in the Pacific NW, but there is still just enough minerals in my water supply that I use the DI to help. My water comes from local wells. Just to the north, in Vancouver, where their water comes from watershed reservoirs and is very soft, I used to be able to let my car air dry and never had any deposit issues.
Based on your response, it seems that chemicals in our potable water supply will affect whether or not your car gets water spots, and further, whether or not deionized water is necessary?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Thanks LexVan, I have seen "reviews" where all they do is talk about it, but not many that demonstrate actual use. Or they mute the sound.
You are very welcome. I've spent $1,000s of dollars over the years on detailing products and equipment. I even have a Kranzle (from Matt at Obsessed Garage). But, my MasterBlaster is my all-time favorite purchase. A great place to purchase is from Phil at Detailers Domain. His product has the upgraded 30 foot hose. He also runs a sale a few times per year, so if you can hold out and wait for a coupon code, it's worth it.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Andy,
Seems overcomplicated. Multiple types of water and concentrations.
Buy a 1 liter/32oz spray bottle most anywhere cleaning supplies are sold including most food stores,
Spray Bottle - Amazon
fill it with 1 liter/32oz distilled water purchase from most any food store, can use any number of online ordering and home delivery services such as Instacart:
Instacart Home Grocery Delivery
Take a measuring syringe purchased from a drug store, the drug section in a grocery store or Amazon and
Amazon 10ml syringes
squirt 5ml of Photo Flow into the bottle.
Order online B& H Photo - Photoflow 200.
Photo Flow - Amazon
Wash your car as normal the mist it over with the spray bottle, no biggie
And, Kodak Photoshop 200? I have no idea where to buy Kodak Photoshop 200
Order online B& H Photo - Photoflow 200.
Photo Flow - Amazon
Several trips to acquire the materials during an unprecedented and life threatening Covid-19 stay at home order.
The three items can all be ordered online from Amazon or other sources, wetting agent is widely available even in grocery stores:
I use Kodak Photo Flow because proper dilution is easy to do with it and dilution is the key to not leave watermarks or streaks.
Other options include:
Finish Jet-Dry Dishwasher Rinse Agent - Wallgreen
However, it will take a little experimentation to get the dilution right.
Can your procedure be simplified?
The simple procedure is described above.
Andy
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Leaf blower

After I wet wash my 993, I've found that the most rewarding way to remove the excess water is by taking the car for a spirited test drive. Anything over 100 mph will remove most of the water.
Phil
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (04-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Leaf blower for drying