Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Complete paint job hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 07:50 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My biggest concern would be that something bigger is covered up. The previous owner should have pictures before the paint job, ideally in the paint shop itself to prove that it was just cosmetically driven. This is at least the type of documentation I would have made to eliminate any doubt.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
I'm in the first camp - people who won't buy a repainted car.

When I was searching for my 993 and 964, I avoided any cars that were repainted, regardless of how well the repaint appeared to have been executed -- I am speaking exclusively about these two cars that I had been shopping for so any references to 356's or 997's are/were irrelevant in my choice of car purchases. I wanted and bought only cars that had original, factory paint. Like the saying goes, they're original only once and there is always a segment of the enthusiast car market that values originality.
I buy my Porsches to drive them...
The following users liked this post:
YellowDieselGolf (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 12:00 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it completely depends on the particular buyer as to whether the value of the car is affected good or bad. Some people would prefer mediocre original paint to really good new paint. I personally would never even consider a car that had a full paint job...regardless of how good it was, who did it, etc. That's not right or wrong...that's just how I am...and if I'm buying, I get to choose.

Andy got it right..."Words rolling out of a seller's mouth mean little." I could not agree more...ESPECIALLY if it's a dealer. He/she will create whatever story makes the situation (a fully painted car) most palatable to the buyer.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:07 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
Because there are people who wont buy a repainted car and only want original but there aren’t many people running around saying I will only buy a repainted car.
I think this point goes a long way towards answering the question. When you reduce the pool of buyers for a specific car...does that not reduce it's value?.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

As promised:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&goto=newpost
Old 03-26-2021, 11:55 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Timely thread. I own a 1997 993 Coupe, Forest Green Metallic (over newly re-upholstered Chestnut leather and Castega carpet, both original colors), 70k miles, with a couple of the body panels having been resprayed/touched up in areas at some point over the last twenty-five years. What I'm trying to say that the paint is not "original-original" as a paint meter would indicate. Further, the rocker panels show a lot of pitting underneath the very old plastic film (which will likely peel away paint when removed), the front bumper cap is badly pitted, and there are three unsightly spots due to (bird drop?) etching that have been touched-up but that are very visible to the eye (roof, passenger side fender). There is a scuffed area front lower spoiler, and some light scratches at the front of the hood. That's it; there is no body damage, no rust that the eye can see, etc. I should add that the car was taken to the area’s best paint correction company and it was determined that the etched areas could not be repaired, the vinyl film on the car well beyond it’s time and that a respray was the best route to take. So.......

While it is a very rare color combo 993, it's not a low mile example nor is the paint factory original, and the "blemishes" take away from the overall attractiveness of the car, why would a high-quality repaint/respray in the original color not be warranted or justified? My thought is that it would add some value to the car, or at the very least, would improve the car's appearance whether at Luft or any other C&C event. Yes, I will document the car (which has been in a magazine article and PCA video) prior to having the paint work done.

Does anyone have a differing opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by oalvarez; 03-26-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:02 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 462 Posts

As these cars age, some are going to need to be painted. On a low mile example it might be seen by some to hurt the value. On a 70,000 mile example, I'd see it as a pro as long as it was paint only and not severe accident repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by Onami:
Brig993 (03-26-2021), oalvarez (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 05:28 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 949 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Timely thread. I own a 1997 993 Coupe, Forest Green Metallic (over newly re-upholstered Chestnut leather and Castega carpet, both original colors), 70k miles, with a couple of the body panels having been resprayed/touched up in areas at some point over the last twenty-five years. What I'm trying to say that the paint is not "original-original" as a paint meter would indicate. Further, the rocker panels show a lot of pitting underneath the very old plastic film (which will likely peel away paint when removed), the front bumper cap is badly pitted, and there are three unsightly spots due to (bird drop?) etching that have been touched-up but that are very visible to the eye (roof, passenger side fender). There is a scuffed area front lower spoiler, and some light scratches at the front of the hood. That's it; there is no body damage, no rust that the eye can see, etc. I should add that the car was taken to the area’s best paint correction company and it was determined that the etched areas could not be repaired, the vinyl film on the car well beyond it’s time and that a respray was the best route to take. So.......

While it is a very rare color combo 993, it's not a low mile example nor is the paint factory original, and the "blemishes" take away from the overall attractiveness of the car, why would a high-quality repaint/respray in the original color not be warranted or justified? My thought is that it would add some value to the car, or at the very least, would improve the car's appearance whether at Luft or any other C&C event. Yes, I will document the car (which has been in a magazine article and PCA video) prior to having the paint work done.

Does anyone have a differing opinion?

Thanks in advance,

No difference of opinion. Just wanted to add that the picture you posted above was my desktop wallpaper for about a full year prior to acquiring my own 993.
oalvarez (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:59 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

^ That's beyond awesome....what a small world it is.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:19 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Some people like Original Patina others don’t and prefer a nice shiny paint job done right. I would rather have a nice shiny paint job done right.
oalvarez (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:17 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

(I like patina, and think it has its place, but on much older/vintage cars.... pitting, bird drop etching, scratches, is not my idea of patina either...hope not to stray too far away from the topic!)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:58 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

OIL AIR...The Borla test car, right?
Old 03-27-2021, 06:14 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
OIL AIR...The Borla test car, right?
That's the car! It has been an amazing ownership experience, I can say that much. The seller and I have remained friends since, one of the better car buying experiences of all time.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

At 105,000 miles my paint was just tired, so mine is just finishing up a complete bare metal respray - and it cost more than the car did. If the paint was done right and by that I mean a bare metal respray of the whole car - it would increase the cars value for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by slvr993:
ed devinney (03-29-2021), oalvarez (03-29-2021), TheDangerZone (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 10:54 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 949 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
mine is just finishing up a complete bare metal respray - and it cost more than the car did
Looks good but now I'm curious... are you overpaying for a bare metal paint job or did you pick up your 993 for ridiculously cheap prior to the price boom?

Quick Reply: Complete paint job hurt value?