Sponsored by: DashLynx

Complete paint job hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 09:34 PM
NeinNeinThree
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Complete paint job hurt value?

This may be a ridiculous question but would a complete paint job that's in great shape affect value in a negative way? There's a 993 for sale at a dealer and claims the previous owner just wanted to do a complete paint job to bring it up to par again essentially as well as a full 60k service. Clear car fax.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Depends on the condition / mileage of the car and how rare / unusual the options are. A low mileage, high specification C2S which is collector grade may be viewed as less valuable by collectors if it is not 100% original.

Whereas a very good condition, drivable 993 with a good quality repaint is in my opinion worth more money (to me) as it's something I would do anyway. I'm not a collector and I want to drive it, maybe take to a show and shine etc.
The following users liked this post:
NeinNeinThree (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:10 PM
NeinNeinThree
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just looking for a good driver personally for exactly that. Cruise on nice days mainly and possibly take to a local show for fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:56 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

It's already got 60K miles so that's a no. Also assuming it was repainted in it's original color too.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Agreed. 60k+ miles and 20+ years old, a quality repaint is a good thing. Different story if this was the result of a wreck.
NeinNeinThree (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Depends on how you mean the question.

A repaint could enhance the valve of a particular car. If a mechanically solid car with a decent interior had a poor exterior then painting could enhance it's value. But if you're asking a market question then I think the answer is yes - it's bad. There are plenty of very, very good 993's out there and I have to believe that most buyers would still prefer original paint. And if that's true a repainted car will take a bit (maybe not much) of a hit. At some point our cars will be old enough that repaint is common. But we're not there yet. Personally I probably would avoid a repainted 993. When I bought mine it had a clean carfax which alone isn't enough for me. I paint metered it and it came up clean. That, w/ the carfax, made me happy. With the repaint the paint meter is almost useless.

But I can see the other side. If you decide to go for it at a minimum I think you (as a buyer) should take advantage of it and work to discount the price because of the paint job.

Last edited by tstafford; 04-12-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-12-2020, 07:47 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 709 Likes on 389 Posts

Any paint in my mind will hurt the value. Just depends on how much it will hurt. Looking at the exact same cars, exact same specs and mileage the one that is original even if bad will sell for more than the repainted one no doubt.
The following 2 users liked this post by goin2drt:
luv2race (04-12-2020), M. Schneider (04-19-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Any paint in my mind will hurt the value. Just depends on how much it will hurt. Looking at the exact same cars, exact same specs and mileage the one that is original even if bad will sell for more than the repainted one no doubt.
Sorry, I disagree.

As Meenrod correctly pointed out above, it depends on the car.

On a low mile collector grade car, a complete respray could hurt value.

But if you take two identical 80K mile 993s, and one has old tired terrible but original paint, and the other has a high quality complete new paint job, not only will it not hurt the value, but the repainted car may command a premium. Quality and documentation are key here, tho.

The following 3 users liked this post by goofballdeluxe:
NeinNeinThree (04-12-2020), oalvarez (03-26-2021), YellowDieselGolf (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sorry, I disagree.

As Meenrod correctly pointed out above, it depends on the car.

On a low mile collector grade car, a complete respray could hurt value.

But if you take two identical 80K mile 993s, and one has old tired terrible but original paint, and the other has a high quality complete new paint job, not only will it not hurt the value, but the repainted car may command a premium. Quality and documentation are key here, tho.
Once again,... spot on.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:23 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Words rolling out of a seller's mouth mean little. buyer beware on a 25 year old car and have a body shop validate that the car has not been wrecked. Major bodywork only shows up on a Carfax if an accident report was filed or the one who did the work bothered to report it. Both can be iffy.
If the new paint looks great and it is the same color as that that was originally on the car then I feel it doesn't influence the value.
If you do take it to a body shop for inspection and you intend to buy the car. Have them give you a written report so you can provide it as documentation in the future when you sell the car.
Andy
Old 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Andy's got a good point here. Carfax is much newer than our cars - a lot might have happened to them before Carfax got plugged in to its data sources ...
Old 04-12-2020, 01:00 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 214 Posts

I am in complete agreement with goin2dirt. Give me the original car with no questions, stories, or explanation needed. 993’s are not so old that they would require a repaint unless it wasn’t cared for properly or was damaged, perhaps just surface damage like keyed by an angry ex etc. ha

My friend had a new 997 Turbo and he parked in the middle of no mans land at the movies and sure enough some a**hole keyed one entire side of the car. He had it fixed at a top notch body shop that is both Ferrari and McLaren certified. Two years later at trade in, he was dinged anywhere from 5% to 10% off whoelsale by 3 different dealers. Their reason, if I have two black turbos side by side and one had paint repairs and the other didn’t why would anyone pay the same money for the two cars?

Now with all of that said, if the car is the right car and everything else checks out (Highly encourage a top notch PPI) and the deal is fair....go for it!
Old 04-12-2020, 01:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Andy's got a good point here. Carfax is much newer than our cars - a lot might have happened to them before Carfax got plugged in to its data sources ...
"CARFAX lists only information that is reported to them and consumers should not take this report to be a complete accident history. Not all accidents are disclosed and CARFAX uses the language "no accidents have been reported to CARFAX," the emphasis being on "reported". Consumers should not rely on CARFAX alone when checking out a used vehicle."
Much of the work done to our cars is done by boutique or restoration body shops and mechanics who don't report their service and repair work to CARFAX.
For this reason, other than the presence of a salvage title or an odometer discrepancy, I put little faith in CARFAX. In essence, it functions as part of the marketing arm of dealers who sell used cars and IMO shouldn't be given much weight in a 993 buying decision or for that matter any car that is too old to be sold through an automotive brand supported Dealer Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 04-12-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Sagres74 (03-27-2021)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I am in complete agreement with goin2dirt. Give me the original car with no questions, stories, or explanation needed. 993’s are not so old that they would require a repaint unless it wasn’t cared for properly or was damaged, perhaps just surface damage like keyed by an angry ex etc. ha

My friend had a new 997 Turbo and he parked in the middle of no mans land at the movies and sure enough some a**hole keyed one entire side of the car. He had it fixed at a top notch body shop that is both Ferrari and McLaren certified. Two years later at trade in, he was dinged anywhere from 5% to 10% off whoelsale by 3 different dealers. Their reason, if I have two black turbos side by side and one had paint repairs and the other didn’t why would anyone pay the same money for the two cars?

Now with all of that said, if the car is the right car and everything else checks out (Highly encourage a top notch PPI) and the deal is fair....go for it!
Sorry, but I completely disagree. My own 993 has literally been cherished but it has also been DRIVEN and has stone chips despite a clear-bra at only 60k. Having stone chips repainted and other imperfections taken care of doesn't mean it's worth less than before. To many buyers in the market for a 60k car it's actually worth more. On a more modern 997 or 991? Buyer beware. They're not old enough to warrant it- that is suspicious. On a 356? Try finding one that hasn't had paint. The older they get the more it's not an issue. And to be clear- we are talking driver cars, not collector grade.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:21 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 214 Posts

Well the OP asked for our opinions and again if the real question is how a repaint impacts value rather than listen to our opinions I suggest the OP contact any of the experts below. Yes I know these folks generally deal in collector or low mileage quality but they also know and understand the market.

I suggest NeinNeinThree (cool name BTW) contact the folks below and pick their brains.

Tim Holt at Holt Motorsport
Burt Strange at Merit partners
Brett Sloan at Sloan
Geoff Isringhausen
Paul at Auto Kennel
Steve Waldie at Interstate Motorsport

Quick Reply: Complete paint job hurt value?