Introduction & MY1994 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:00 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Introduction & MY1994 Question

Hi,

I’ve posted here a few times and I completely forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Brandon and this is my first Porsche (and manual transmission). I got it back in March from Dick Barbour Performance. It shows a 09/94 date on the door jamb sticker.

I live in the DFW metro area if any other Texans want to say hi when it’s okay to do so.

I’ve been tinkering with the car over the last few weeks; I’ve replaced the hood and decklid shocks, cleaned the ISV, installed The Pad Keeper, replaced some fuses, fixed the airbag rubber bearings issue (no more honking while braking) and replaced the interior dome lightbulbs.

As this is my first Porsche, I’m not intimately familiar with everything in the engine bay just yet. Why does the stuff on the left of this picture looks different than some other MY1994’s that I’ve seen online? The other cars don’t have any of that stuff, theirs looks more basic. I’ve only seen my style of motor blower when a car has Varioram.

Is this a modification done by the previous owner? Could it have come from the factory like this?

I’ve also included a picture of the options sticker and a picture of the car itself.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Brandon - welcome to the madness. The varioram didn't appear until the 1996 model year. I'm also in the DFW area, when things get a bit more normal we can go for a drive.
Howard
Old 04-17-2020, 03:27 PM
notabot
Pro

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Hi Brandon - welcome to the madness. The varioram didn't appear until the 1996 model year. I'm also in the DFW area, when things get a bit more normal we can go for a drive.
Howard
Howdy Howard

I don’t know any other car enthusiasts or Porsche people so it’d be great to meet up.

And that’s what’s confusing me. Was this a factory optional add-on or was it added by the PO? Any idea why this would be in a MY1994 car?

I’m sure you know what they look like, but here’s an example of the other 94’s that I’ve seen online.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by notabot
Howdy Howard

I don’t know any other car enthusiasts or Porsche people so it’d be great to meet up.

And that’s what’s confusing me. Was this a factory optional add-on or was it added by the PO? Any idea why this would be in a MY1994 car?

I’m sure you know what they look like, but here’s an example of the other 94’s that I’ve seen online.
The complicated valve in the engine bay of your car is a modification Porsche made early in 993 production, it shuts off the fresh cabin air intake when the reverse gear is engaged.

Congratulations! The -94 993:s are the very best 993:s!
Old 04-17-2020, 04:17 PM
notabot
Pro

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
The complicated valve in the engine bay of your car is a modification Porsche made early in 993 production, it shuts off the fresh cabin air intake when the reverse gear is engaged.

Congratulations! The -94 993:s are the very best 993:s!
Modified from factory or aftermarket?

And thank you! It’s a great car. Learning manual wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Edit: just re-read your post so ignore my question, haha. Why do some have and it some don’t? Are those other less complicated valves from Euro models?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Hi,

As this is my first Porsche, I’m not intimately familiar with everything in the engine bay just yet. Why does the stuff on the left of this picture looks different than some other MY1994’s that I’ve seen online? The other cars don’t have any of that stuff, theirs looks more basic. I’ve only seen my style of motor blower when a car has Varioram.

Is this a modification done by the previous owner? Could it have come from the factory like this?

I’ve also included a picture of the options sticker and a picture of the car itself.

The '94 993 came w/ 2 different heat configurations, yours is the later style used through the last year of production. It appears that someone replaced th air cleaner cover w/ an aftermrket version

The other style shown here is a carry over from the 964

Old 04-17-2020, 04:28 PM
notabot
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The '94 993 came w/ 2 different heat configurations, yours is the later style used through the last year of production. It appears that someone replaced th air cleaner cover w/ an aftermrket version

The other style shown here is a carry over from the 964
Part of what inspired this topic are two How-To articles on Pelican Parts. Their Motor Blower Assembly with Varioram guide shows my type of assembly, and the Non-Varioram guide shows that other type.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:40 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Part of what inspired this topic are two How-To articles on Pelican Parts. Their Motor Blower Assembly with Varioram guide shows my type of assembly, and the Non-Varioram guide shows that other type.
If (when) you change the motor mounts to RS, you'll be thankful for the '95 AC hose routing! No question 95s are the best year..

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
Old 04-17-2020, 04:41 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

Brandon my 95 has the same set up as yours and it is factory. This an older photo as I have since added a pad keeper. RC

Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Both vram and non-vram used the similar later heat setups, it was only the early '94 n-vram that used the carryover 964 system

Here's a stock vram
Old 04-17-2020, 05:20 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 189 Posts

Welcome notabot.
I'm also in DFW.
When this shelter-at-home is over, we should meet up along w/ other DFW-ers. If only there are good roads to drive around here...
The following users liked this post:
NeinNeinThree (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM
NeinNeinThree
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

I’ve posted here a few times and I completely forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Brandon and this is my first Porsche (and manual transmission). I got it back in March from Dick Barbour Performance. It shows a 09/94 date on the door jamb sticker.

I live in the DFW metro area if any other Texans want to say hi when it’s okay to do so.

I’ve been tinkering with the car over the last few weeks; I’ve replaced the hood and decklid shocks, cleaned the ISV, installed The Pad Keeper, replaced some fuses, fixed the airbag rubber bearings issue (no more honking while braking) and replaced the interior dome lightbulbs.

Awesome! I've caught the 993 bug and hoping to get one in the next year. I'm looking for black too. I'm in Frisco myself, do you work at Classic? Would love to meet up just so I could see your car in person. Once I sell my current toy the 993 is next.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Both vram and non-vram used the similar later heat setups, it was only the early '94 n-vram that used the carryover 964 system

Here's a stock vram
Early 94 vram? I bet you know that there are no -94 vrams!
Old 04-17-2020, 06:16 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Early 94 vram? I bet you know that there are no -94 vrams!
FLASH - he said "'94 n-vram"

Sorry for the pun any semiconductor guys out there.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6

84 380SL
Old 04-17-2020, 06:20 PM
notabot
Pro

Originally Posted by mdude
Welcome notabot.
I'm also in DFW.
When this shelter-at-home is over, we should meet up along w/ other DFW-ers. If only there are good roads to drive around here...
I’ve heard some good and bad things about FM 455. I’ve never been, but I heard there can be construction or less-than-desirable road conditions in some spots. I think a lot of people just pay to zip up and down the toll roads.

Originally Posted by NeinNeinThree
Awesome! I've caught the 993 bug and hoping to get one in the next year. I'm looking for black too. I'm in Frisco myself, do you work at Classic? Would love to meet up just so I could see your car in person. Once I sell my current toy the 993 is next.
I don’t work for Porsche, sorry! You can definitely see it sometime. Be forewarned, the paint is a disaster up close. The interior is super clean and pristine, though! And neither affect how it drives so I couldn’t care less for now.

I spent over two years browsing PCA Classifieds and other car sites trying to find a manual 993 in my price range, so I’m glad Dick Barbour found this one!
The following users liked this post:
NeinNeinThree (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Introduction & MY1994 Question