Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM vs. OEM+

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 11:42 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 703 Posts
Default OEM vs. OEM+

I am looking to add a 993 and I've narrowed down my search to a few vehicles. A couple are 100% stock (no suspension upgrades, no exhaust, nothing), but seem to be in great shape. A couple have OEM+ upgrades (PSS10, Fister stage 2, etc.).

This will be a weekend car to cruise around in... no track, no long trips. I prefer cars that are stock, like they come from the factory, but also recognize that some OEM+ mods are inevitable. For 993 cars, would a 100% stock car command a premium or actually be less sought after than comparable with OEM+ mods?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 12:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

On something like a 993 suspension, in which the original stock suspension is 25 years old and completely shot at this point, a PSS10 kit would be an upgrade and dramatically increase how well the car handles.

Generally speaking, anything that is old and doesn't work properly any longer that is replaced by something new and far better shouldn't adversely affect value
Old 05-06-2020, 01:39 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 125 Posts

If you're in the "collector" range of cars (RS or low mileage Turbo) then I can see how keeping things 100% OEM may be beneficial. Even still, I can't imagine how certain upgrades, like suspension, exhaust, and various mounts and bushings, would harm the value of the car.

If we're talking about the "driver" range of cars, worth an arbitrary $100k and less, then I think these upgrades most certainly add value. Anyone who would potentially buy the car from you in the future would appreciate the upgrades and be willing to pay a premium for them. The only exception might be distasteful cosmetic modifications (low quality aftermarket body kit, unusual interior mods).

I would say that suspension and exhaust upgrades add an extreme amount of joy to the ownership and driving experience, so go nuts!! Common tasteful cosmetic things like new seats, especially that maintain the style of the originals, and factory or high-quality aftermarket aero components, don't generally harm the value of vehicles in this range. Even a respray on a higher mileage car I think may be a plus.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Personally would rather purchase a well sorted car than original OEM. If not and all OEM.....Prepare for a slippery slope and hit to your bank account.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:00 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Unless it's for collector purposes, I think trying to maint a strict OE car is going to hurt value and enjoyment. There are too many highly tasteful and effective upgrade parts for these cars. My car came to me OE but with PSS10, I've added since then. . .
L39E (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:45 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Personally would rather purchase a well sorted car than original OEM. If not and all OEM.....Prepare for a slippery slope and hit to your bank account.
This. Buy a well sorted car from an enthusiast and you'll be way better off. The "usual" mods are usual for a reason.

Once these cars are sorted out they tend to be pretty reliable. But, a car being sold by a broker in OEM condition is also more likely to have some deferred maintenance.

/
Old 05-06-2020, 11:42 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is kinda like the discussion about "does painting a 993 decrease it's value or not". The answer to is the same to your question...it depends on the specific buyer. All original car is very important to some people, and they will pay a premium for it. Others would prefer a car with certain mods already done...and will pay a premium for it.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I prefer cars that are stock, like they come from the factory, but also recognize that some OEM+ mods are inevitable. For 993 cars, would a 100% stock car command a premium or actually be less sought after than comparable with OEM+ mods?
Based on the above statement you should pursue the stock car.

IMHO stock cars are overrated by those who cherish authenticity. The compromises to satisfy noise & pollution regulations along with NVH reductions neutered the historical 911 feel. The “mods” most embark upon shift the driving experience back into a more traditional 911 experience.

I think you should drive as many 993’s as possible to get a feel for em. You maybe surprised what you want after some seat time. Personally I’ve always salted my cars to my taste. Probably a bit over the edge for most but that’s what years of track driving (not with this car) will do to you.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Fine line btw OEM + and a molested - Frankenstein 993 series

To answer your question my two cents chimes in with the OEM original crowd in the car hobby. Just think, twenty-five years is plenty of time for "who knows what" rationalized aftermarket enhancements between the ownership of a car; As in a slew of aftermarket components. Some good, some questionable, and some simply 911 folklore.

An original authentic OEM unmolested example has a place in the hobby. To some, "It don't mean ****", to others in the 993 market place originality has its place.

Edit .. "Let your freak (OCD) flag fly" - circa the 1960s
Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

I think all those mods the OP has mentioned (suspensions, exhaust,...etc) can all easily be reversed if ever decided to go back to stock with no permanent damages. Therefore, I don't really see an issue here. I have done PSS10, FisterIII, SSK... etc, but have kept all my stock parts. Maybe OP can ask if the modded car comes with stock parts then that will definitely be my pick!

Andy
Old 05-07-2020, 02:35 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by akrca4
I think all those mods the OP has mentioned (suspensions, exhaust,...etc) can all easily be reversed if ever decided to go back to stock with no permanent damages. Therefore, I don't really see an issue here. I have done PSS10, FisterIII, SSK... etc, but have kept all my stock parts. Maybe OP can ask if the modded car comes with stock parts then that will definitely be my pick!

Andy
delete

Last edited by WenigerAberBeser; 05-07-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Quick Reply: OEM vs. OEM+