Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement windshield - help or hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 02:07 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Replacement windshield - help or hurt value?

I have a 96 C4S. Its in good shape with 50k miles and all original. I like to maintain & improve my cars but keep them stock, or at least easy to put back to stock in the event I ever want to sell. My windshield has some pitting that really bothers me when driving in the sun. I am curious on the consensus - does replacing it with OEM glass hurt the value or not a big deal?
Old 05-07-2020, 02:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

OMG
Put a new OEM glass in and enjoy.
When I did the $$ for the glass was nearly $900.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:49 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It distracts from your enjoyment of the car, could potentially be a safety issue, and this is a hard decision?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Polishing pits out of auto glass is very common. If one does an internet search all sorts of products and how-to pages come up.
Here is one I found interesting:
Andy
Old 05-07-2020, 05:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I know you prefer stock, but if you're running on the original tires from the mid-90s, replacing those would be a good idea too.
The following 5 users liked this post by goofballdeluxe:
71-3.0-911 (05-07-2020), 993c4_Toronto (05-11-2020), ashephil (05-08-2020), gt3'er (05-09-2020), luv2race (05-09-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:41 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 353 Posts

this was almost the first thing i replaced on my 993.

it's a safety issue and there are no downsides as long as you have a good company do it.

(seriously, though, don't touch the car until the glue has dried. don't move it an inch. don't open and close the door.)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:42 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I know you prefer stock, but if you're running on the original tires from the mid-90s, replacing those would be a good idea too.
LMAO!! I just replaced my windshield out of necessity- it broke when we took it out to grind out a rust spot in the channel ( the usual areas these cars get rust). $ 1,100 for the glass, seals, new trim, etc. Looks awesome though.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
LOL
When i bought my 96 4S in 2007, it DID have the original front tyres!
When i bought my 360, the tyres were 9 years OLD.

What's up with some people????????????
Old 05-08-2020, 12:23 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Mass glass is included with all policies.

Had a small crack that spider webbed. When I called insurance company (Geico) to replace, they offered OEM, without the little "P in Triangle". After a few weeks of negotiation, arguing about diminished value, etc. They finally agreed to original glass. It was 2x the cost.

And here is the best part.

About a month later, had the car wrapped. For what ever reason, forgot to ask to get the small metal strip under the windshield included. Driving home, a small rock bounces off that piece, left a tiny scratch, and then a tiny divot on the brand new windshield.

Called insurance company back. They read thru the file, and told me to basically ****-off.

Switched insurance companies a year later. Waiting for a few more dings and then will try my luck again!!!
Old 05-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

These threads are entertaining.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:48 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, that escalated quickly. New OEM glass it is.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Hi Toona,
My understanding is that all the glass is made by a German supplier who supplied the factory. If one wants the P-Triangle symbol maybe one can;
  • Create a clear mailing label and print it and stick it to the inside of the glass or
  • Go to one of those custom label web sites and upload the graphic and have one print a nice one on clear body guard material. Otherwise
  • One could make a template and acid etch the symbol in the glass and then rub it with black nail polish to pick up the color.
Six ways from Sunday to get the little graphic if one is truly motivated!

Andy
Old 05-09-2020, 11:28 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Having recently been through some windshield glass nightmares, I can tell you matter of factly that not all glass is made by the same German supplier, so let's not perpetuate that inaccuracy as reading that here actually led me to make some bad purchase decisions.

Yes there is Plinkton or Sekurit glass available that does not have the \P/ triangle. Both of these were OEM suppliers for Porsche. They are available on the aftermarket as OEM replacement but lack the \P/ logo. If you purchase direct from Porsche, they come with the logo.

There are at least two other sources of glass, both of which will lead you to some headaches. At least one is made in China and both do NOT come with the channel trim bonded to it which the outer seal presses into. This part is not available from Porsche, is notoriously fragile (leads to complete windshield replacements) and yet these companies apparently expect that if you are replacing your glass that this part can somehow safely be removed and reused without damage.

High level summary of my saga:

- new to me 993 showed up from California in NJ
- front glass was leaking (installed in California and was less than a year old)
- discovered the glass was not bonded, instead was sitting loosely in a 964 gasket (WTF?!)
- glass did not have the channel for the 993 outer seal (it was just bare glass)
- assumed it was 964 glass but turns out it may have been Chinese 993 glass (it was made by a company that I could not find a SINGLE reference to on Google BTW, odd?)
- glass from Porsche $1300, glass from Safelite $900, glass from the local reputable glass shop, owner lives around the block and was giving me a discount: $350 installed (what?!)
- RUMORS on RENNLIST: its only made by one factory, its the same glass, just missing the \P/
- $1000 extra? No thanks!
- ordered the glass from the local glass shop, questioned the price and asked if the glass was used.. "no, it's brand new. $1300 for glass is crazy. Is there diamonds in it?" they mock...
- shows up, guess what? No channel bonded to the glass for the outer seal?!?
- brand was different then the glass I already had on the car. This one was made in China "WuZhang" or something
- tell the glass shop this cant be used, there's no channel, channel should not be removed from old glass and also I don't have it and it cannot be purchased separately
- they're speechless and tell me I need to go to Porsche then and hand me my deposit back
- skipped going down the Safelite route, as who knows where the local Safelite is sourcing from?
- $1300 to Porsche later, I installed my own Plinkton glass myself with the \P/ logo, with more care than anyone else would have taken for me (to level set, I DIY absolutely everything; one of those types)

Thanks again to mike cap on here for letting me borrow his windshield gauge tools!

TL;DR - Buyer beware purchasing anything other than glass direct from Porsche. Not all glass comes from Plinkton / Sekurit. If you cant confirm it is those brands (with or without the \P/ logo... RUN!!!)
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (05-11-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 05:40 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Great explanation and debunking of the ws glass urban legends.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Few years ago I had the windshield on my C4S replaced by Safelite. They did a spectacular job. They ordered the correct Made in Germany Pilkington glass (no P logo), and Porsche inner and outer seals. I was very happy with fit and finish. My $.02

Quick Reply: Replacement windshield - help or hurt value?