Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension refresh/upgrade planning/documenting thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 03:06 PM
wallyman424
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Suspension refresh/upgrade planning/documenting thread

Hey all, I'd like to seek some input for my upcoming suspension refresh/upgrade plans. First this car is completely a fun, fair weather toy. I may take it to work once in a while, but its not my daily driver. At this point I don't have any plans to track it. I have many years of wheel to wheel racing experience under my belt, and have successfully kept my distance from that addiction. My goals are to make the car feel as connected to the road with direct steering input as possible. I'm not very concerned with NVH. Here are my tentative plans, please feel free to provide input. FYI I realize a lot of this is overkill for a street car.

Steering:
- Bushings/ rack mount reinforcement
- ER bump steer tie rods

Sway bars:
- Was going to leave stock sways in place.
- Adjustable drop links

Coilovers:
PSS10

Camber plates (would like some input here):
Elephant racing
ERP
Ground Control (These look interesting as they have built in caster adjustment. I don't see that many folks are using them here)

Front bushings, from my assessment, the ball joint boots are worn and the bushings are worn as well, I can see some cracking and there is more play than there should be when tested with the pry bar
- New ball joints
- Elephant racing monoballs (I like that these are weathersealed)

Rear bushings/arms, Rear control arm monoball and ball joints seem ok on inspection. I'll have to take it all apart to know for sure:
This is the section where I have less clarity.
Option 1
- RS bushings all around
- Rennline or other adjustable toe link with lockout plate

Option 2:
- ER Monoballs all around
- Adjustable toe link with lockout

Option 3
- Monoball for Lower control arm
- Adjustable camber, KT and toe link

Rear carrier. Hard to know the condition of the rubber without pulling it all apart.
- Solid vs rs mount.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Hey all, I'd like to seek some input for my upcoming suspension refresh/upgrade plans. First this car is completely a fun, fair weather toy. I may take it to work once in a while, but its not my daily driver. At this point I don't have any plans to track it. I have many years of wheel to wheel racing experience under my belt, and have successfully kept my distance from that addiction. My goals are to make the car feel as connected to the road with direct steering input as possible. I'm not very concerned with NVH. Here are my tentative plans, please feel free to provide input. FYI I realize a lot of this is overkill for a street car.

Steering:
- Bushings/ rack mount reinforcement
- ER bump steer tie rods

Sway bars:
- Was going to leave stock sways in place.
- Adjustable drop links

Coilovers:
PSS10

Camber plates (would like some input here):
Elephant racing
ERP
Ground Control (These look interesting as they have built in caster adjustment. I don't see that many folks are using them here)

Front bushings, from my assessment, the ball joint boots are worn and the bushings are worn as well, I can see some cracking and there is more play than there should be when tested with the pry bar
- New ball joints
- Elephant racing monoballs (I like that these are weathersealed)

Rear bushings/arms, Rear control arm monoball and ball joints seem ok on inspection. I'll have to take it all apart to know for sure:
This is the section where I have less clarity.
Option 1
- RS bushings all around
- Rennline or other adjustable toe link with lockout plate

Option 2:
- ER Monoballs all around
- Adjustable toe link with lockout

Option 3
- Monoball for Lower control arm
- Adjustable camber, KT and toe link

Rear carrier. Hard to know the condition of the rubber without pulling it all apart.
- Solid vs rs mount.
Do it right and add RS or aftermarket clone wheel carriers w/ RSR tierods, skip the ER bump steer tie rods
add 8.5ET54 & 10ET65 x18 wheels and 225/40 //265/35 to 245/35//285/30 tires

set it up low
The following users liked this post:
rgupta250 (09-06-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:51 PM
woohoosocal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Timely post wallyman, as I am going under-take the same project. I am constantly on Elephant Racing's site configuring and re-configuring a package to get it straight in my head what I want.

Bill confirmed my thoughts about the wheel carriers also.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:12 PM
wallyman424
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Do it right and add RS or aftermarket clone wheel carriers w/ RSR tierods, skip the ER bump steer tie rods
add 8.5ET54 & 10ET65 x18 wheels and 225/40 //265/35 to 245/35//285/30 tires

set it up low
Noted.

Any thoughts on how to handle the rear bushings/arms? Worth it to go all adjustable with a low ride height?

Old 05-10-2020, 06:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Noted.

Any thoughts on how to handle the rear bushings/arms? Worth it to go all adjustable with a low ride height?
I did it 2x
round one was RS wheel carriers, Sport rubber bushes or RS arms, Tarret toe arm w/ locks, thi was a really great combination but the rear would nor hold alignment on the track, specifically WGI, I think that hitting the turtles was too much for the eccentrics.
RS wheel carriers and RSR tierods

RS sways

RS rear A arms and RS KT arms

Solid side mounts

Mode front camber plates

Elephant Sport rubber bushes for front A arm

TArret toe arms w/ locks, Cup shocks custom digressive revalve, 8.5 & 10 wheels

Mode front Rennline rear shock mounts

Extra locks on sway bar mounts, 600/750# springs

How it sat, w/ the street wheels

On track
Old 05-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Round 2
Rennline camber & KT arms, RSR A-arms, Elephant Front monoballs

I also needed better aero for track days also added welded in roll bar and sunroof reskin
The following users liked this post:
LimeyBoy (06-29-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Only other thing I'd recommend to you is better shocks than PSS, shocks, done right, make a huge difference
Old 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM
wallyman424
Instructor

Very helpful. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 AM
wallyman424
Instructor

Does anyone have experience with the h&r street performance coilover setup?
Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the h&r street performance coilover setup?
Good advice above from our resident expert BillV. I did the option 1 he described above along with pss10s and thicker m030 anti roll bars. I had 100k miles and the bushings in the front failed and the back were starting to. I daily my car as well as take it to de/ax events when I can and good compromise for a fun car but not too rough as a daily. Really transformed the car and you will notice a difference for each component: shocks, anti roll bars, and bushings/control arms. They work as a system and when one is not right you can feel it.

As for your question the h&r setup is a bilstein kit rebadged with their springs and valving...

For my subjective view, I like the pss10s as you can adjust them up and down. I keep them on moderate setting for everyday driving and crank them up on the de events. I am at RS ride height. I had some track oriented bilsteins and they were too stiff for my streets... Maybe ok where the roads are better in other parts of the country or needed if you are running really low like cup height, which the car was setup for before.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Good advice above from our resident expert BillV. I did the option 1 he described above along with pss10s and thicker m030 anti roll bars. I had 100k miles and the bushings in the front failed and the back were starting to. I daily my car as well as take it to de/ax events when I can and good compromise for a fun car but not too rough as a daily. Really transformed the car and you will notice a difference for each component: shocks, anti roll bars, and bushings/control arms. They work as a system and when one is not right you can feel it.

As for your question the h&r setup is a bilstein kit rebadged with their springs and valving...

For my subjective view, I like the pss10s as you can adjust them up and down. I keep them on moderate setting for everyday driving and crank them up on the de events. I am at RS ride height. I had some track oriented bilsteins and they were too stiff for my streets... Maybe ok where the roads are better in other parts of the country or needed if you are running really low like cup height, which the car was setup for before.
rs sways add that extra bit of panache. Worth it!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:22 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Suspension **** from Bill V!!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:02 PM
nothingbutgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I did it 2x
round one was RS wheel carriers, Sport rubber bushes or RS arms, Tarret toe arm w/ locks, thi was a really great combination but the rear would nor hold alignment on the track, specifically WGI, I think that hitting the turtles was too much for the eccentrics.
RS wheel carriers and RSR tierods

RS sways

RS rear A arms and RS KT arms

Solid side mounts

Mode front camber plates

Elephant Sport rubber bushes for front A arm

TArret toe arms w/ locks, Cup shocks custom digressive revalve, 8.5 & 10 wheels

Mode front Rennline rear shock mounts

Extra locks on sway bar mounts, 600/750# springs

How it sat, w/ the street wheels

On track
Point of reference !

I have 3 question : where is still possible to buy for a decent price the RSR tie rods, did you install the tilt kit as well and in the picture with M 003 Aerokit, which tires are you using?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:33 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

You can get inner solid tie rods from FVD.
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM
nothingbutgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
You can get inner solid tie rods from FVD.
Thank you Kan: Yes, but then I need the outer side to work with the right angle with the RS wheel carrier.

I am asking not just for the yellow project, but also for the other 993 that now is running with standard tie roads, which is something not just ugly to see, I suppose, but most of all, inefficient.

Few months ago I contacted a company here in Italy that don't know how much time ago was producing the standard and the RS tie rods and selling them for something like a fourth of what is priced right now.
these parts are so crazy expensive that probably it would be way cheaper to CNC cut them from solid steel or maybe make a group buy and see what this company would answer to a 1000 pieces order.

Quick Reply: Suspension refresh/upgrade planning/documenting thread