Sponsored by: DashLynx

HI Fi Package Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HI Fi Package Speaker upgrade

Did a search and found mostly very old info on the subject. I'm wondering if anyone with the hi fi package has done a speaker upgrade recently. I looked at Crutchfield for compatible speakers, and they have a lot of options for the woofer and rear speakers but nothing for the midrange speaker or tweeter. Their woofers do have integrated tweeters, but it's not clear to me if the 993 woofer connector will mate with the new speaker, and if it does will the integrated tweeter work? My head is starting to hurt. Has anyone done this within the last 3 years or so?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I did this in the last 2 week but didn't touch the tweeters or the rears. I have the 490 hifi and replaced the mids and subs in the doors as when I did the gasket change out I realized that the paper was shot in the mids.

I used the same speakers listed here

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nd-play-2.html
Old 05-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you.

I don't know how I missed that thread. It didn't show up on my Google search.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

no problem

PM Me if you need any help
Old 05-12-2020, 01:58 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The OE amp uses a separate channel for the woofer vs the combined mid-range and tweeter. In addition, the tweeter has a passive crossover behind it in its housing. If you find the refresh with stock drivers using the existing amp inadequate, a simple, and good upgrade is to swap out the amp and the speaker boxes. The limitation of the system is it is underpowered and has a minimal low-end response. If one removes the speaker box from under the cover and just puts a good 2-way coaxial aftermarket speaker on a one-inch extension ring in the pass-through hole to the door cavity and replaces the amp with one that is 75 or greater watts per 4 channels or 150 into 2 for just the door speakers the sound quality will be vastly improved. Also since the speakers will still be under the carpeted box covers it will look stock,
Andy

Quick Reply: HI Fi Package Speaker upgrade