Expenses for 21 years of operation - 95 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
15) front brakes - rotors and pads replaced - still have original rear brakes all components
Am I reading this correctly? You still have original rear brake pads on a 25 year old 993? At almost 69,000 miles? Or was that 69,000 miles since you bought it, not including what the original owner put on it?

If so, I'm VERY impressed. You must rev match downshifts all the way to first to engine brake up to every red light and stop sign!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:09 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Am I reading this correctly? You still have original rear brake pads on a 25 year old 993? At almost 69,000 miles? Or was that 69,000 miles since you bought it, not including what the original owner put on it?

If so, I'm VERY impressed. You must rev match downshifts all the way to first to engine brake up to every red light and stop sign!
Yes...original rear brakes and clutch still at 69,000....pads at 5mm now....so soon.....

Bought car at 9k in 1999......and car looks as good or really better now..........OCD care...

Last edited by abiazis; 05-27-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:02 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
Only 3 air filters in 21 years? No suspension refresh?
How did you do that?
I vacuum cleaned 2 previous filters to make them last longer and car has original shocks and they are not shot yet - still firm ride.....car has not been tracked or auto crossed so that may be reason....lots of highway miles........Handles like always....great...

Engine runs strong and smooth....gas mileage not that great...about 14 around town and 23 highway...next major expense is plugs and wires....and probably shocks and rear brake pads....within the next year.....

Last edited by abiazis; 05-27-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:53 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

I vacuum cleaned 2 previous filters to make them last longer and car has original shocks and they are not shot yet - still firm ride.....car has not been tracked or auto crossed so that may be reason....lots of highway miles........Handles like always....great...

Engine runs strong and smooth....gas mileage not that great...about 14 around town and 23 highway...next major expense is plugs and wires....and probably shocks and rear brake pads....within the next year.....

I did my ignition leads 18 months ago. After 22 years they got brittle and started to trip codes.

Yes, mileage rather sucks for 993s, but then if it were about that we’d all be driving Corollas.

Any preliminary thoughts about suspension refresh? I’m going down that rabbit hole right now picking a decent suspension refresh for my daily driver 993.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I did my ignition leads 18 months ago. After 22 years they got brittle and started to trip codes.

Yes, mileage rather sucks for 993s, but then if it were about that we’d all be driving Corollas.

Any preliminary thoughts about suspension refresh? I’m going down that rabbit hole right now picking a decent suspension refresh for my daily driver 993.
I guess the OEM were BOGE. I won't go too crazy on the new shocks, but will check all the bushings, etc and control arms for integrity.....

The car currently rides smooth and absorbs all uneven surfaces well right now......there are plenty of threads here on RL on suspension and I will research them before I choose anything....

Your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

I guess the OEM were BOGE. I won't go too crazy on the new shocks, but will check all the bushings, etc and control arms for integrity.....

The car currently rides smooth and absorbs all uneven surfaces well right now......there are plenty of threads here on RL on suspension and I will research them before I choose anything....

Your thoughts?
There are a ton of threads about suspension refresh for 993s but not many speak to those of us who use them as daily drivers and don’t go to the track. There is also very little said about the Porsche Classic package.
I’m very close to getting a Bilstein B12 package which has pretty much the same shock as the Porsche Classic package but also has springs which modestly lower the car. It’s about 2/3 the price of the Porsche package and about 1/2 the price of the PSS10 which seems like overkill for a non tracked daily driver. I agree that you don’t need to go crazy on suspension refresh. I took mine out of winter storage a few weeks ago and it just seemed so much less planted than my winter one.

Good luck with your car. It sounds like you take very good care of it.
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

There are a ton of threads about suspension refresh for 993s but not many speak to those of us who use them as daily drivers and don’t go to the track. There is also very little said about the Porsche Classic package.
I’m very close to getting a Bilstein B12 package which has pretty much the same shock as the Porsche Classic package but also has springs which modestly lower the car. It’s about 2/3 the price of the Porsche package and about 1/2 the price of the PSS10 which seems like overkill for a non tracked daily driver. I agree that you don’t need to go crazy on suspension refresh. I took mine out of winter storage a few weeks ago and it just seemed so much less planted than my winter one.

Good luck with your car. It sounds like you take very good care of it.
You too! Thanks for sharing that information. Sounds very logical direction for a daily which is more what I use mine for.........good info.....appreciate you sharing it.......

Quick Reply: Expenses for 21 years of operation - 95 Cab