Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine upgrade dream. The fapping post

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:55 PM
kandutery
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine upgrade dream. The fapping post

Hi folks. I thinking about if i can do something interesting, but not crazily expensive to tune or upgrade my 993 varioram engine. I think can be need a rebuild after 23 years, and when i rebuild an engine i prefer always change de cylinders and pistons for perfect fit between this pieces. For these reason i think to upgrade to 3.8. I find this ones, very cheap compared to other ones in other websites is that is 2000 dollars more expensive: https://www.vividracing.com/wossner-...-p-132150.html (they edited and now is only pistons. I see it´s an error of website)

what would you like change on a 993 engine? i thinking always for a very sport-road use. I love varioram intake, and maybe can be good idea use other camshafts bit more sport for the hydraulic lifters. I i suppose use more light con rods can be problematic, and titanium rods are extremely expensive.

Other upgrade interesting are the head stud raceware kits.

any ideas?

Last edited by kandutery; 06-04-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:01 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

I recently had my engine ('95 no varioram) out for maintenance and we added Webcam RS cams that work with the original hydraulic lifters. I am pleasantly surprised with the result. Unfortunately no dyno but the car now has a stronger mid range. We also upgraded the springs and retainers at that time.
The following users liked this post:
rocket930 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by craina
I recently had my engine ('95 no varioram) out for maintenance and we added Webcam RS cams that work with the original hydraulic lifters. I am pleasantly surprised with the result. Unfortunately no dyno but the car now has a stronger mid range. We also upgraded the springs and retainers at that time.
I’m also running these cams in my ‘98 C2S along with a LWFW and Rennsport ECU Tune - absolutely fantastic seat-of-the-pants results! I would absolutely do it all over again.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:17 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993pbug
I’m also running these cams in my ‘98 C2S along with a LWFW and Rennsport ECU Tune - absolutely fantastic seat-of-the-pants results! I would absolutely do it all over again.
Yep mine also has a LWFW, Steve Wong custom chip, and cat delete. We also did the RS heater blower bypass pipe and SAI delete with the engine out.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM
993pbug
Racer

Yep mine also has a LWFW, Steve Wong custom chip, and cat delete. We also did the RS heater blower bypass pipe and SAI delete with the engine out.
Currently running Fister IIIs but considering a cat delete along with original motor sound mufflers. Anyone else running catless w factory mufflers?

I’m in PA so no heater delete for me as I typically run my car into early December.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Currently running Fister IIIs but considering a cat delete along with original motor sound mufflers. Anyone else running catless w factory mufflers?

I’m in PA so no heater delete for me as I typically run my car into early December.
Not heat delete, blower bypass.

I had cat delete (billy boat) with factory mufflers before the engine out. Sounded weird, idle sounded lumpy, never heard a 993 sound like that. Put some cheap used fabspeed maxflo mufflers on and it sounds great now. Was expecting it to be stupid loud but it’s really nice. Would expect it to be pretty loud with fister 3.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 PM
dragon993
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you guys find the chatter associated with the LWFW?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:26 PM
993pbug
Racer

Originally Posted by dragon993
How do you guys find the chatter associated with the LWFW?
Not an issue at all, only perceptible between 2,000 to 2,300rpm with the stock trans mount. However, I recently installed an FD Mount, and it is now exceptionally noticeable ... so much so that I ordered an RS Mount after only about 50 miles.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:28 PM
993pbug
Racer

Not heat delete, blower bypass.

I had cat delete (billy boat) with factory mufflers before the engine out. Sounded weird, idle sounded lumpy, never heard a 993 sound like that. Put some cheap used fabspeed maxflo mufflers on and it sounds great now. Was expecting it to be stupid loud but it’s really nice. Would expect it to be pretty loud with fister 3.
Ack, misread your prior post as “heater bypass”.

Did you have Motor Sound mufflers or Standard mufflers?
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 AM
kandutery
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. That is want i do for my engine.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:48 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

So does bypassing the heater blower mean you get hot air out the vents, but only from convection, not forced air?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:28 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDS968
So does bypassing the heater blower mean you get hot air out the vents, but only from convection, not forced air?
Yes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it the blower motor just pushes the air forward from the heat exchangers. The engine fan will still push the hot air forward, I just won't get it with as much force. Being in TX and with my car usually on R comp tires I rarely drive it when it is too cold so I don't expect it to bother me.

Positives are less clutter in the engine bay and some weight reduction. It can always be added back if I change my mind about it.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Yes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it the blower motor just pushes the air forward from the heat exchangers. The engine fan will still push the hot air forward, I just won't get it with as much force. Being in TX and with my car usually on R comp tires I rarely drive it when it is too cold so I don't expect it to bother me.

Positives are less clutter in the engine bay and some weight reduction. It can always be added back if I change my mind about it.
With the blower removed from the engine compartment and the heater duct reconnected to the engine fan shield there still is positive pressure, it is just dependent on engine speed. If you ever made a trip in an old-school VW Beetle you have experience with more heat when the engine is running faster. Also, the substantial blowers upfront will help draw air as well. The design of the 993 HVAC system was to completely eliminate previous complaints about 911 heat and AC comfort. This is why it has three substantial blowers as part of the HVAC system.
Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
craina (06-05-2020), M. Schneider (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Same on my 96 C2, Super fun! I can only imagine what a re-gear would also add!

WRT to LWFW: The rattling is noticeable, but really only at idle, and honestly, you kind of tune it out pretty quickly. My wife, who is particular about these things doesn't even notice it (and she drives a Prius) Everyone has different levels of tolerance, so if you are on the fence about doing it, the best thing is to drive a car with the LWFW and see for yourself. The acceleration improvement that the LWFW provides, similarly is noticeable, but becomes the new-normal very quickly. I have the Wevo Blue Motor Mounts and a reinforced engine carrier, so I have a little more NVH as well.

Quick Reply: engine upgrade dream. The fapping post