Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Pedals for Heel Toe functionality | 1997 Porsche 911 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 06:46 AM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best Pedals for Heel Toe functionality | 1997 Porsche 911 993

The brake and accelerator pedals are at different levels/distance to the driver.... and they are pretty far apart. Presently, heel/toe requires taking the foot off of the brake momentarily (unless the driver has Shaquille Oneal feet). The heel/toe bridge is simply not possible.

For the 1997 993, what are the best replacement pedals that would make the heel/toe technique most achievable?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 249 Posts

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Al...nfo/P44.21.11/
The following users liked this post:
Kein_Ersatz (08-24-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:29 AM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

Wiil do. Many thanks!

W
Old 07-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

you can adjust the brake pedal level a bit (if the connection is same as a 964 and i believe it is as i have a 993 brake setup on my 964) . While I have rennline pedals and the fully adjustable gas pedal on my 964, the only porsche i've ever driven that i can't heel toe (barefoot, in flip flops, or in driving shoes...) is a G series. Their placement is bad. i don't have huge feet.

The extensions can help, the rennline is good. But, usually you want the brake level with the gas when you are into the brake hard, that's when you want to really heel toe.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:41 AM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
you can adjust the brake pedal level a bit (if the connection is same as a 964 and i believe it is as i have a 993 brake setup on my 964) . While I have rennline pedals and the fully adjustable gas pedal on my 964, the only porsche i've ever driven that i can't heel toe (barefoot, in flip flops, or in driving shoes...) is a G series. Their placement is bad. i don't have huge feet.

The extensions can help, the rennline is good. But, usually you want the brake level with the gas when you are into the brake hard, that's when you want to really heel toe.
Interesting. My brake pedal is a good six inches closer to the driver than the accelerator pedal. And the distance between then could fit the width of my foot. Clearly not ideal for heel toe. I inherited that configuration but it would seem clear that adjustment is not only possible but warranted. Pics attached.

Thank you

Old 08-22-2020, 10:49 AM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

Whats better: "Rubber Grip" or "Perforated"
Old 08-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have an original Wings Engineering throttle pedal that's adjustable in three planes. It's a great piece of engineering and makes heel and toeing super-easy. It slips right onto the stock pedal, so you don't have to dismantle the old pedal and fiddle with stuff like you have to do with the Rennline pedal. Setting it up just takes a few turns of a Phillips screwdriver one way or the other.

Unfortunately, the Wings is no longer available, but you might be able to find one on eBay if you set up a subscribed search.

Also, there was someone on eBay selling clones of them. I have one of these clones in my parts bin and thought it looked pretty good, but the finish on it isn't as refined as the original.

Here's on that sold about ten days ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911...p2047675.l2557

Oh, and I'm moving this to the 993 forum since you have a 993.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:31 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

On my 4S the previous owner screwed a second plastic gas pedal on top of the gas pedal to make it twice as thick so that the gas pedal is closer to brake pedal under actuation. I do find it easier to heel toe than my other one...

I like the design of the pedal mark shared above as it looks like it does something similar and has that extra nubbin sticking out the side to help.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:41 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
On my 4S the previous owner screwed a second plastic gas pedal on top of the gas pedal to make it twice as thick so that the gas pedal is closer to brake pedal under actuation. I do find it easier to heel toe than my other one...
My 964 also had this mod! Thought it was the only one. However I did find on the track that the stock pedal is in just the right spot for hard braking. On the street its too low.

Pete
Old 08-24-2020, 08:11 AM
wpw3
Rennlist Member

I like the design of the pedal mark shared above as it looks like it does something similar and has that extra nubbin sticking out the side to help.
That is an interesting solution... and it confirms that the difficult heel-toe configuration I have presently (where the gas pedal is at least 6 inches "behind" the clutch pedal). So I am not alone. It is simply not possible.

As happens with many decisions with my "Elke," I decided to just go ahead and take the high road to purchase the perforated 4 piece Rennline set. I will not install myself, but hopefully the mechanics (Rennwerke Porsche) can get the pedal placement in balance. I eschewed the rubber pip version knowing that rubber can be slippery when wet and hardens over time.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:15 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Another great source of pedals: www.srpracing.com. They offer a choice of designs and varying styles of grip. Competitively priced, too. Note for the 993 that they offer an extension option on the gas pedal for added heel-toe compatibility.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 08-24-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

You can make your own too.

I modified a pedal from D Zug Produkte (I think NLA) to work in a 993 and made my own brake and dead pedal. I used the adjustable floorboard stop from an early 911 that allows adjustment not available with the later pedal design. The brake pedal pad is from Tilton Engineering and can be moved up/down and side to side attached to a plate I made and had welded to the original pedal arm. I reinforced the factory mount for the dead pedal with a piece of aluminum L extrusion with threaded inserts and the dead pedal itself is from 1/4" aluminum and is "dead solid" underfoot. Not beautiful, but system really works to get what I wanted. My car has no carpet around the pedals with floorboards I made instead. The abrasive material on the brake pedal is as supplied by Tilton made of material from 3M for stair treads which I cut for the clutch and dead pedal.

Last edited by Cupcar; 08-25-2020 at 01:55 PM.
paulkromz (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 03:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I have an original Wings Engineering throttle pedal that's adjustable in three planes. It's a great piece of engineering and makes heel and toeing super-easy. It slips right onto the stock pedal, so you don't have to dismantle the old pedal and fiddle with stuff like you have to do with the Rennline pedal. Setting it up just takes a few turns of a Phillips screwdriver one way or the other.

Unfortunately, the Wings is no longer available, but you might be able to find one on eBay if you set up a subscribed search.

Also, there was someone on eBay selling clones of them. I have one of these clones in my parts bin and thought it looked pretty good, but the finish on it isn't as refined as the original.

Here's on that sold about ten days ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911...p2047675.l2557

Oh, and I'm moving this to the 993 forum since you have a 993.

Same here

Mark in Baltimore (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 03:39 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Forgot to share... I found the person who got the production rights to reproduce the wings pedal when I looked into the mod earlier this year.

Name is Nick. Has an insta account here with some pics of the reproduction.

https://instagram.com/wingsaircooled...d=1nzqr1skm9jf
The following 3 users liked this post by samurai_k:
craina (08-25-2020), Gmanscott (09-02-2020), Mark in Baltimore (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Forgot to share... I found the person who got the production rights to reproduce the wings pedal when I looked into the mod earlier this year.

Name is Nick. Has an insta account here with some pics of the reproduction.

https://instagram.com/wingsaircooled...d=1nzqr1skm9jf
That's awesome for the air-cooled community! Love my Wings pedal.

Quick Reply: Best Pedals for Heel Toe functionality | 1997 Porsche 911 993