Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can Anyone Recommend a Short Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 10:33 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Can someone confirm the stock appearance is maintained after installing the FD SSK and GR? I want to keep stock shifter **** and boot. Thanks.
The stock appearance is retained. The GR is under the car and Darrin uses a modified RS shift lever that is a bit shorter if I remember correctly. I run the stock RS short shifter and it sits about an inch higher than stock. In both scenarios, stock appearance is maintained.
The following 2 users liked this post by 71-3.0-911:
M. Schneider (07-23-2023), Todynot (01-02-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 01:04 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I don't recall any "O" rings like the usual ones made of an elastomer like Buna N or Viton.
There are large plastic rings inside the aluminum trolley that slide on the main tube, maybe that is what they are referring to?
I put a light coating of grease on anything that pivoted or slid as the shifter worked.
I used a white lithium bicycle grease from Campagnolo that worked well but any grease will work I think.
Edit: thought about it some more and had a better memory of it - The o-rings are inside the lower half of the 2-piece "shuttle". I think The plastic bushings (called "plain bearings" in the PET) actually go through the o-rings, or perhaps the rings are Rutherford in, but the pin on the shift lever definitely goes through the rings and holds the whole thing together.

on another note...
If anyone is interested, I have a never-used Fister C2 SSK for sale - see here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post18486560

I got halfway through the install before realizing I'd order the C2 version for my C4 (dumbass) - also got very good at un-installing and installing that shuttle through the whole ordeal
It's a nice mod for the car, and yes, it looks 100% stock, no way to tell except to drive it.

Last edited by CosmosMoon; 01-07-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:47 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

I have Darin's ssk and GR on my C4S. A good combo, particularly the GR as many know. The ssk shortens throws, but not dramatically.
If you have 2-wd Rothsport/Jeff Gamroth has a ssk kit that's different than Darin's. It is crisper and shorter than FD's as the linkages are different.
FD and Jeff collaborate, sell each other's stuff; there's no conflicts.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:45 AM
Aircool'dFool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I have a dumb question but if I like my current interior shifter in my C2S (I don’t like that rubbery look especially since i have a blue interior), do I need to change that if I go with the golden rod + “short shifter”? What exactly does each piece (GR vs. SSK) change in regards to my car? And what’s the difference between the two links below?

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/p...t/v/SSK1-SSK-1
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/products/new-fister-design-short-shift-kit

Last edited by Aircool'dFool; 07-16-2023 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:53 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Aircool'dFool
Sorry I have a dumb question but if I like my current interior shifter in my C2S (I don’t like that rubbery look especially since i have a blue interior), do I need to change that if I go with the golden rod + “short shifter”? What exactly does each piece (GR vs. SSK) change in regards to my car? And what’s the difference between the two links below?

no you don’t need to change the **** at all. As for the links, those are the same link twice.

Look at the Porsche parts diagram to see which piece the goldenrod is and which piece the ssk is.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:45 AM
Aircool'dFool
Intermediate

Sorry just updated link - I was getting confused because the 2nd link, the $610 one, has a picture of the rubbery style interior shift ****/stem and says its “new version” so wasn’t sure what these short shift kits actually do. I’ve been having issues with the clutch feeling heavy so I’m getting the mpl slave cylinder and now trying to do research on other shift-related modifications to make the manual driving more enjoyable which is how I landed in this thread of trying to understand what exactly the goldenrod and short shift kit are changing vs. stock and if I need them (or maybe I need just the goldenrod vs. SSK etc.)
Old 07-16-2023, 06:06 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Either SSK will work the same mechanically. The difference is that the cheaper one uses your boot and **** and is more of a one-for-one replacement of the existing shift lever. The existing lever is just a steel bar and so it’s covered by the **** and boot for looks.

The expensive one is finished in such a way that the lever itself is exposed and it eliminates the existing **** and leather/vinyl cover. It’s too bad they don’t have better pictures of the parts in this one.

in both cases the lower end of the shift lever is the same and is slightly longer than stock. Since that end of the lever is longer, the “throw” of the shift-**** end is shorter to move into each gear.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:31 PM
Aircool'dFool
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aircool'dFool

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/products/new-fister-design-short-shift-kit
Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
Either SSK will work the same mechanically. The difference is that the cheaper one uses your boot and **** and is more of a one-for-one replacement of the existing shift lever. The existing lever is just a steel bar and so it’s covered by the **** and boot for looks.

The expensive one is finished in such a way that the lever itself is exposed and it eliminates the existing **** and leather/vinyl cover. It’s too bad they don’t have better pictures of the parts in this one.

in both cases the lower end of the shift lever is the same and is slightly longer than stock. Since that end of the lever is longer, the “throw” of the shift-**** end is shorter to move into each gear.
So following up on this as i'm plotting out some next customizations for my car. I definitely want to improve the "shift" feeling of my '98 C2S. It seems like a mix of MPL Slave Cylinder, a short shift kit (from Fister or Numeric?) and a golden rod are the 3 things I'm looking for, as well as maybe upgraded engine mounts?
  • MPL Slave Cylinder - this seems pretty straight forward, I'll order that to improve the clutch engagement feel.
  • Short Shift Kit - I want to retain the stock look of my car interior, especially not have an exposed rubber boot in the center area (I guess we call this "Singer style"). The 964 Youtube video below, presumably with the Numeric 2WD Short Throw Shifter for $735 looks like it retains the stock interior look but makes the shift lever slightly higher? I'm wondering if that is the only alternative for me then versus the FDM NEW! Fister Design Short Shift Kit for $660 which based on pictures doesn't let me retain the stock look (looks like a rubber or wooden shift **** + rubber boot)? If so, then that makes the decision easy in favor of Numeric but just wanted to make sure because there's also the FDM Short Shift Kit 964/993 (RS-style) for $425 which looks just like a bar which confuses me because of the name "Short Shift Kit" in both the $660 and $425 models, but that that simple bar/rod looking thing looks nothing like the Numeric SSK contraption in first link...i may just be confusing parts (shift lever vs. shift fork vs. forward rod vs. whatever that Numeric contraption is called...sorry for the noob questions!)
  • Golden Rod - if i install the above Numeric SSK (assuming Fister does not fit my goals), then am i supposed to also install the Golden Rod to improve slop in shifting? If so, what is the Golden Rod doing separate and away from the Numeric $735 SSK? And can i combine the $735 Numeric SSK with the FDM Golden Rod (RS-Style Shift Rod) for $295 or are they not compatible with each other?
  • RS Motor Mounts - what significance do these add to the car? i see a few forum posts where people highly recommend them but wasn't sure what actually it's doing to the feel. And are these ebay listed ones the correct version for my '98 C2S?
Numeric Short Shifter 1st Drive Review for 964

Numeric Installation Instructions

Thank you all for the invaluable help!
Old 01-31-2024, 01:46 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Fister SSK + Golden Rod , nothing else!
Old 01-31-2024, 09:03 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Fister SSK + Golden Rod , nothing else!
Close... add the MPL.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:17 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Since some of this seems fuzzy, providing a detailed reply...

Short Shift Kit - I want to retain the stock look of my car interior, especially not have an exposed rubber boot in the center area (I guess we call this "Singer style"). The 964 Youtube video below, presumably with the Numeric 2WD Short Throw Shifter for $735 looks like it retains the stock interior look but makes the shift lever slightly higher? I'm wondering if that is the only alternative for me then versus the FDM NEW! Fister Design Short Shift Kit for $660 which based on pictures doesn't let me retain the stock look (looks like a rubber or wooden shift **** + rubber boot)? If so, then that makes the decision easy in favor of Numeric but just wanted to make sure because there's also the FDM Short Shift Kit 964/993 (RS-style) for $425 which looks just like a bar which confuses me because of the name "Short Shift Kit" in both the $660 and $425 models, but that that simple bar/rod looking thing looks nothing like the Numeric SSK contraption in first link...i may just be confusing parts (shift lever vs. shift fork vs. forward rod vs. whatever that Numeric contraption is called...sorry for the noob questions!)

If you wish to retain "stock interior look", the Numeric or the $425 Fister kit are what you want. Both utilize a stock shift boot and **** over top of them.

The $425 "just a bar" FD version (as you describe it) mimics a Carrera RS shift lever which is similar to a stock lever except it is longer below the pivot point. The result is that with shorter movements up top (where your hand is) the bottom (longer part) moves more, resulting in faster/shorter shifts (as far as your human input is concerned). The FD version of the RS shifter is a copy of the original Weltmeister (no longer produced) where they also remove the ball/cup design where the lever attaches to the shift rod. This results in less slop and a more positive connection.

The other Fister kit you noted ($600) is designed to have an exposed shift lever with interchangeable ***** and no shift boot other than the rubber accordion style bellows (please let's not call this Singer style).

As for the Numeric, it looks different because it is a modern approach (designed just a few years ago) which offers a more rigid design, adjustability, precision movements via ball bearings, etc. Some people love it but others find it to be a bit too crisp or "notchy" (which is what the person in your video is disagreeing with by saying he doesn't find it "notchy"). Loads of people are very happy with the $425 option (and have been for decades) and others are happy with a more modern improvement. It's all in whether you want options over the normal RS lever feel.

Golden Rod - if i install the above Numeric SSK (assuming Fister does not fit my goals), then am i supposed to also install the Golden Rod to improve slop in shifting? If so, what is the Golden Rod doing separate and away from the Numeric $735 SSK? And can i combine the $735 Numeric SSK with the FDM Golden Rod (RS-Style Shift Rod) for $295 or are they not compatible with each other?
A "golden rod" is a shift rod. Connects the shift lever to the transmission to shift the gears. It gets it's name from the fact that it is also a Carrera RS style copy which had a golden finish from the factory. The RS shift rod eliminates a big rubber bushing that connects it to the transmission. Provides a more solid shift feel by eliminating slop. This combined with a short shift kit are two of the most popular mods to a 993 to improve shift response.

The Fister golden rod differs slightly from an authentic RS shift rod in that where it connects to the shift lever, the ball/cup design is eliminated (as mentioned above in the SSK response). It connects via a bolt. Again, more positive connection.

A standard Fister golden rod may or may not work fine with the Numeric shifter. There have been some reported rubbing issues or issues with the position of the shifter in the cabin due to the fact that not all golden rods are the exact same length (with a normal RS style shifter, this doesn't appear to be a factor). So if are going with the Numeric shifter, you might want to go with an "adjustable golden rod" which Numeric can supply. It adds an adjustable threaded section with some jam nuts.

RS Motor Mounts - what significance do these add to the car? i see a few forum posts where people highly recommend them but wasn't sure what actually it's doing to the feel. And are these ebay listed ones the correct version for my '98 C2S?
Yes those will work. They aren't factory authentic but they're good quality (made by Prekom). There's also even cheaper versions by Uro but the Prekom stuff is very nice. Keep in mind you also need some various washers/bolts that go with the mounts and are not supplied (from what I see). You'll have to buy those from Porsche or Pelican.

The RS mounts are solid rubber. They are what hang the motor from the engine bay. The motor is mated to the trans on the front side. On the rear end, it's just these two mounts that hold it to the car. Stock mounts are fluid-filled and leak/sag over time. They also allow the motor to swing around a bit more as you drive around and throw it into corners (exaggerating here for educational purposes but the point is, they have some give/flex to them). Additionally, any forces from shifting the trans are transmitted all the way back to these mounting points which again, can be sloppy. RS mounts on the other hand are stiffer being they're solid rubber. So this affects everything from handling to shifting as well. As you noted, RS engine mounts are also a very highly regarded mod.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-31-2024 at 01:00 PM. Reason: edited to avoid someone inevitably mincing my words... :P
The following 4 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
Aircool'dFool (02-02-2024), dalves11 (02-01-2024), fnckr (01-31-2024), SpeedyC2 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 03:37 PM
Micaa
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine mounts make a big difference, they are not expensive to purchase and installation is relatively easy.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 07:24 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a Numeric Racing shifter and a Function First Delrin **** and thoroughly enjoy the driving experience. I avoided the going down the GR route as it removes all compliance and hysteresis from the linkage. This means you need to be circumspect when changing gears in case you cause damage and usually results in vibration being felt/heard in the gear ****. The stock **** is a chunk of rubber so worth retaining if you go down the GR rabbit hole.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:42 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Your comments are a bit perplexing and blur the lines between your own formulated opinions based on the decisions you’ve rationalized vs things you’ve had firsthand experience with.

In all of my time here, I’ve never seen someone who was unhappy after they installed a golden rod.

A better way to respond would be “I chose not to install a golden rod because I thought it might noticeably change the vibrations within the shift linkage or damage my transmission but I have no direct experience with that.”

Last edited by boomboomthump; 02-01-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Your comments are a bit perplexing and blur the lines between your own formulated opinions based on the decisions you’ve rationalized vs things you’ve had firsthand experience with.

In all of my time here, I’ve never seen someone who was unhappy after they installed a golden rod.

A better way to respond would be “I chose not to install a golden rod because I thought it might noticeably change the vibrations within the shift linkage or damage my transmission but I have no direct experience with that.”
I have installed new bushings and factory RS SSK in a 964 and nobody could tell it was OE. They were convinced it was one of the aftermarket kits. How long the bushings last is the issue. The design was not the best but understandably served a purpose. Amazing what new bushings will do sometimes. I also installed 2 numerics one with golden rod I had to modify to fit and the other using stock linkage and after decades of driving 911's I could barely tell the difference and neither could most anyone else.

Quick Reply: Can Anyone Recommend a Short Shift Kit