Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight/Fog Light Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:21 PM
rgupta250
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headlight/Fog Light Upgrades

After tackling my suspension and shift linkage, I want to address the 25 year old lighting technology on my 95 993 Coupe.

These are my desires:
  • upgrade low beams to HID or LED
  • upgrade high beams to HID or LED
  • upgrade front running lights (inside fog light assembly) to LED
  • upgrade fog light to HID or LED
  • want the light color and intensity to match across all light items (4500K to 5000K ideally)
  • want to retain independent functionality of low, high beams as well as fog lights
I have read about PO using Tore's HID system for the low beams and others using LED replacement bulbs for high beams, front running lights. I also like the Retrofit Source's Retro-Quick:993 projector len upgrade. All the aftermarket solutions out there seem to be upgrades for specific lighting items as oppose to a comprehensive and cohesive lighting system upgrade for all lights. Am I missing something? What have others done to install a complete lighting upgrade solution?

RG

Old 12-06-2020, 09:21 PM
ob993
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven 993 cars with both the low beam Halogen and HID's (Litronics). The Litronics are far superior. Its pretty cool that LED's are now available. Haven't tried those, but I'd imagine they are equal or better than the HID's.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:53 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 263 Posts

Depending on the country/state in which you live, you may be limited as to what you can do to your car, so as not to inconvenience others.

If you want to be able to see properly, in the dark, then IME the best path to tread is Tore's HID plus new projectors from Morimoto with the solenoid to lift the low-beam cutoff 'bar' out of the way when you wish for full-beam. Full-beam bulbs are then irrelevant..
Old 12-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts

I just did the T-light 4300k low beam kit with the Morimoto (the retrofit source) projector housings and it was great, as many other posts on here say. I did not do the LED in the high beams but that has some good reviews as well.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...-hid-kit-4300k - ballasts, bulbs kit

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...993?quantity=1 - projector and hardware

The following 2 users liked this post by Goose 993:
helmet993 (12-12-2020), SpeedyC2 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:44 PM
rgupta250
Advanced

Originally Posted by orangecurry
Depending on the country/state in which you live, you may be limited as to what you can do to your car, so as not to inconvenience others.

If you want to be able to see properly, in the dark, then IME the best path to tread is Tore's HID plus new projectors from Morimoto with the solenoid to lift the low-beam cutoff 'bar' out of the way when you wish for full-beam. Full-beam bulbs are then irrelevant..
Thanks Orangecurry - This is the direction I am headed. Just wanted to address the other lights such as fog lights and front running lights.

Originally Posted by Goose 993
I just did the T-light 4300k low beam kit with the Morimoto (the retrofit source) projector housings and it was great, as many other posts on here say. I did not do the LED in the high beams but that has some good reviews as well.

Goose - Thanks for the input. Just need to figure out what to do with my fog lights.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Oh, well the fog lights share the housing with the front parking/marker light and the t-light kit comes with two led bulbs for those. I never use my fog lights but that is something you can possibly get an led bulb for as well. I would call bergvillfx as he is really helpful. Tel: +4798215245 https://www.bergvillfx.com/contact_us
Old 12-07-2020, 02:23 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rgupta250
Thanks Orangecurry - This is the direction I am headed. Just wanted to address the other lights such as fog lights and front running lights.
But you'll never see the foglights, so just put decent bulbs in? Or do you mean you want to change to more of a spotlight?

I was looking to fit another set of spotlights or driving lights, even extra ones as per the rally cars, as visibility was so poor on full-beam, but once I had the Morimotos, there was no need.

I prefer the old-skool yellow light in foggy conditions, so I sourced halogen yellows. That way, you don't need to match the colour of the 'white' lights.
The following users liked this post:
Gjbacci (12-05-2022)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Goose 993
Pro

But you'll never see the foglights, so just put decent bulbs in? Or do you mean you want to change to more of a spotlight?

I was looking to fit another set of spotlights or driving lights, even extra ones as per the rally cars, as visibility was so poor on full-beam, but once I had the Morimotos, there was no need.

I prefer the old-skool yellow light in foggy conditions, so I sourced halogen yellows. That way, you don't need to match the colour of the 'white' lights.
Would love to see a photo of this if you have any to share.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:21 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to use the fogs independently from the headlights (for example, for DRLs), see link in my sig.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:38 PM
rgupta250
Advanced

That’s a good point. I’ll will probably change out the low and high beams out first and then see if I need to address the fog lights.

RG
Old 12-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I’d be interested if anyone has found LEDs for the fogs, these seem to be challenging and limited that even Tore doesn’t offer such an upgrade.

Installing an HID kit has been done, but would prefer to avoid that option.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:43 PM
rgupta250
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knight
I’d be interested if anyone has found LEDs for the fogs, these seem to be challenging and limited that even Tore doesn’t offer such an upgrade.

Installing an HID kit has been done, but would prefer to avoid that option.

Knight - I agree with you. All my research resulted in finding out that there is no acceptable LED upgrade for the 993 fog lights. The challenge is that the fog light bulb is a H3 halogen bulb with a unique connection and very little room behind the fog light housing. That being said, there is hope. I spoke with Tech Support at The Retrofit Source (vendors of the Morimoto Bi-Xenon projector lens) and they will releasing in January 2021 a new ‘plug and play’ LED fog light solution for the 993.

The owner is a big Porsche fan and owns a few of them. Fingers crossed that it’s what we are looking for.

RG
The following 2 users liked this post by rgupta250:
Knight (12-09-2020), Sagres74 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 07:02 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Would love to see a photo of this if you have any to share.
Tried to get a quick snap yesterday, but the LED white lights affect the photograph/exposure so the whites look brighter in the photo than they actually are and drown-out the yellow halogens, if that makes any sense.

Look at the light on the ground - it's yellow!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangecurry:
ch3tman (12-12-2020), rgupta250 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:39 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Since there are threads on how to take the fog light apart to replace the lens and/or refinish the beige plastic,
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lamps-now.html
it might be also possible to remove the H3 projector entirely and put a new LED fog light assembly inside the housing- here's a pretty small one.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...0-lumens/1699/
Old 12-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Very interesting Goose, I have Tore's HID set up and the projector seems a good idea, 3 questions for you:

1. Is the Morimoto projector a plug and play fit or were modifications to the headlight housing required?
2. Did you use the optional Morimoto "High Beam Splitter" to activate low and high beams at same time?
3. Did you use the optional Morimoto relay harness?

BTW, Tore is working on an LED solution for the H1 high beam and it may come out soon.
The following users liked this post:
fnckr (02-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Headlight/Fog Light Upgrades