Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPC Supercharger - Removing Supplemental Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPC Supercharger - Removing Supplemental Fuel Injectors

My ECU is on the way to Todd at Protomotive to remap for larger fuel injectors, so I remove the UniQ piggyback computer and 2 additional fuel injectors that came with my TPC supercharger kit.

The kit uses what looks to be brass compression fittings to hold the 2 additional injectors into the TPC intake manifold.

I have removed the injectors and want to plug the holes where the injectors were.

Anyone know what fittings I should purchase to plug them?

The outside thread diameter ~20.4mm (~3/4") and thread pitch appears to be a little shorter than 1.5mm. Looking at SAE/Metric thread charts it looks like it could be 1/2" [***See subsequent post below...actual size is 5/8"***] Brass Compression fitting, but rather than using trial and error...thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Last edited by Newbiewan; 03-15-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah - you need the ones I have in the pic - or similar.
I just can't remember where I got them from.
I'll try to find for you.

The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (12-16-2023)
Old 03-09-2021, 02:02 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Great choice on tuners! Protomotive will take care of you.

Now's a good time to consider upgrading injectors. If nothing else clean the ones you got. Well worth discussing with Todd.

Last edited by MarinS4; 04-03-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:14 AM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Great choice on tuners! Protomotive will take care of you.

How’s a good time to consider upgrading injectors. If nothing else clean the ones you got. Well worth discussing with Todd.
Thanks... Todd has been great to work with. I already have set of 36lb oem bosch injectors on the way at his suggestion.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbiewan
My ECU is on the way to Todd at Protomotive to remap for larger fuel injectors,
Do you anticipate a change in performance?
Have others experienced this?
Andy
Old 03-09-2021, 02:24 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

I am doing it primarily to increase reliability and simplify the overall installation complexity.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:50 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

My indy shop that installed just said a lot simpler to tune and a lot more control. We started with the unichip/7th injector and the larger i jectors and protomotive tune approach did work better for us. And has been completely reliable that last 7+ years
Old 03-09-2021, 10:20 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Do you anticipate a change in performance?
Have others experienced this?
Andy
WOT I’d expect things to be nearly the same. Mid throttle response is the area where there’s the greatest change due to better ignition timing mapping.
Newbiewan (03-09-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Newbiewan
Advanced

For future reference.

After a bit of trial and error...Here is what worked. A brass 5/8" compression fitting cap (Lowes part I used... https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-5-8-in-...ing/1000505225)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:39 AM
Supercharged964
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting this! I'm blocking off my 7th injector myself right now and upgrading to 36 lbs injectors.

My tune keeps changing with ambient temperature changes. Hopefully doing away with the 7th injector will resolve that.
Newbiewan (04-02-2021)
Old 08-15-2023, 11:58 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to wake up an old thread but there are so many of you SC guys here that I figured it would be a great place to ask since I am in the planning stages for the exact same set up. A few questions/comments;

1. the 36lb “big whites” are the way to go - yes? Has anyone felt they were better off with even larger ones? (42lb green ones, eg)

2. The 36lb injectors are speced for 3bar FPR, which is what we have stock - anyone feel the need for higher fuel pressure?

3. Has anyone installed a temperature sensor after the SC? If so, where / how did you install it?

4. my kit, that I got new-but-second-hand came with the intercooler, but TPC has lived up to their reputation of being unresponsive to requests for information. The SC part I’ve got figured out, but the mounting of the pump and radiator and running of coolant lines for the IC is something I’ve not been able to find any pictures of. Anyone with the IC have any info and / or pics of how the radiator was mounted and how the lines were run?

Thanks!

Last edited by CosmosMoon; 08-15-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Hi CosmosMoon.

The experts can weigh in, but I suspect anything close to 34lb will work as long as the tuning has been adjusted to achieve the correct air fuel ratios

I did add a number of PLX Devices sensors including an air intake sensor which I located on the intercooler discharge pipe. I just drilled into the pipe and threaded in the sensor with some sealant. However, I am going to relocate it to use the TPC intake manifold pressure tap location and relocating the pressure tap to one of the TPC extra injector ports, which I have capped off. I want to move it farther from the intercooler, because it it too close to a water injection nozzle which I also installed at the outlet nozzle of the intercooler.

I located my radiator on the passenger side next to the oil cooler. I will probably add another cooler later in front of the AC Condenser because I think it could benefit from some additional cooling capacity. I initially routed the lines down the center tunnel, then to the left front wheel well, to the left front pumper and across to the passenger side radiator. I subsequently just ran it to passenger side wheel well to shorten the coolant lines for less flow resistance.

I also abandoned the TPC supplied pump for a higher quality pump which I mounted near the intercooler on a flat piece of aluminum. I added a pressure gauge as well, so I can monitor flow.

I have lots of installation photos of all stages of the installation here.

Yellow circle shows where the air intake sensor is currently located.

Here is how I mounted the upgraded pump

Here are the engine-related wiring modifications which shows how the sensors are being displayed and logged for tuning purposes

I also attached the written instruction for installing the TPC intercooler in case you don't have it.

Good luck!

Attached Images

Last edited by Newbiewan; 08-15-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:50 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbiewan
Hi CosmosMoon.

The experts can weigh in, but I suspect anything close to 34lb will work as long as the tuning has been adjusted to achieve the correct air fuel ratios

Here are the engine-related wiring modifications which shows how the sensors are being displayed and logged for tuning purposes
I also attached the written instruction for installing the TPC intercooler in case you don't have it.
Good luck!
This is fantastic information - and exactly what I was looking for! It fills in a lot of the blanks left by a lot of the other TPC install threads that primarily focus on installing the pulley and moving the SAI (and I don't need to do either of these things!)
I'll be working with Todd at Protomotive for the ECU, and I'll just confirm the injectors with him - I just wanted to get a sense of how much more I'd need to budget for parts and start putting a shopping list together for now. I will be doing my initial data logging with an LM-2 I got used a few months back, but plan on moving over to the PLX primarily because I like that I can just use my phone on a mount for the gauges (I'm not tracking the car, I'm OK with the gauges not being 100% reliable). Does PLX not have a device for doing logging? I had just assumed I'd be able to save logs from their iPhone software. I also understand the need to include RPM and throttle position from the ECU in the logs, and I hadn't yet figured out how to get that date into the PLX network either, I fear I'll need to keep both the Innovate and PLX networks as you have done.

Speaking of which - I love the wiring diagram - that is amazing and so clear! Hard to believe that a car owner can make such a professional diagram, while tons of aftermarket companies like TPC include clunky hand-drawn doodles!
The Intercooler instructions are also super helpful, I asked TPC support for that doc and got no reply. You wouldn't happen to have the pages with the refenced pictures / diagrams would you?

I'm curious about your ECU connections - I assume you tapped into the wires near the harness before they go into the ECU? Did you cut the wires and use heat-shrink, or did you use those plastic "T" type connectors that clip onto the wires? I've had a hard time finding good ones of those T- connectors, seems like someone should make good ones, but the ones I've gotten online are all cheap Chinese crap that make poor connections, but I'm also not too keen on actually cutting into wires on the car. I ran into this dilemma with the stereo, and have been thinking about it for ECU purposes.

Thanks again, this is great info!
Old 08-16-2023, 10:05 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Question 1 & 2 - you need to work with your tuner to get the fueling correct. Factor in a period of tuning, Dyno runs, and gathering data for your tuner. During this process you might get other problems, like air leaks in your intake, etc, that will need attention. Can be a can of worms or could be a cake walk. But with older cars and 3rd party equipment - we should expect some problem to arise.
If you run turbo injectors (42lbs) you should be able to use stock FPR - which is the current setup I have.
If you run 36lbs injectors you will need a slightly larger FPR - if I remember correctly 4bar. This was my old setup.
You can also get an adjustable FPR so you can adjust on the fly and get the exact AFR you want.
Many routes to take.
Things to take away from this info - work with a good tuner who has experience with the kit. They will know what to do with the experience they have. Todd = highly recommended from my experience dealing with him.

3. temp sensor - you can put one anywhere you want. Just get someone to weld a bung into the metal pipe work and you can then insert a temp sensor there. Just need to pick a brand of telemetry to go with. You'll want to see AFR, EGT, and air temps at the minimum. And plan on what future sensors you might want to add if you go for a more advanced setup. For example you might want to add meth injection later and need to see where to put the injector and where to put the temp sensor with this. Or you might want to measure air temp before and after the SC to see the delta if you have cooling.

4. charge cooler instructions from TPC are available online somewhere. I think I might have a copy. Let me have a look. But you run the water pipes down the transmission tunnel and you put the heat exchange in the left front area where the secondary oil cooler or AC heat exchange goes. However, this can be optimized and made better.

Good luck bro

Old 08-16-2023, 02:00 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

I see newbie shared the document for the intercooler install by TPC. It is missing the pictures for each step number. I have attached for you here.
There is also a IC parts list with the instructions that is also missing. And the pdf for 55 pin and 88 pin diagram.
And a whole lot of other install pics from the TPC install CDROM.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
55 pin .pdf (69.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf
88 pin .pdf (72.8 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
993 IC parts list.doc (30.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by haygeebaby; 08-16-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger - Removing Supplemental Fuel Injectors