Sponsored by: DashLynx

Main earth/ground strap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:54 AM
Lance Jackman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Main earth/ground strap

I can see a thick cable from the starter but cannot see an easy route to the fixing bolt at the chassis.

Any tips, please, on how to get to it to clean the area under the connection or - worst case - have to change the cable?

Had a new Bosch starter fitted in 2019, car's done fewer than 2k miles and I've got a non-starting/clicking noise from the engine bay.

Would hope the starter is still OK (cost enough...!) after such comparative little use and was wondering if the earth strap or connection had gone high resistance?
Old 03-29-2021, 09:58 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

This is the best photo of the starter with the black ground strap, the chassis connection is just visible top right corner (flash or red paint on bolt head).
Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Hi Lance,
Sorry, you are having problems.
Also, have your battery checked on a device that can measure available starting-demand amperage as well as static and running voltage. Conceivably the same test could be administered at the starter end of the starter supply cables revealing any amperage drop from a suspect cable or ground strap.

Also, the solenoid that makes the clicking sound is the outboard part of the starter to which the electrical cables are attached to. It can be the source of your non-start as the electromagnet and switch internal to it triggers the starter motor once the Bendix gear it inserts into the ring gear on the flywheel is fully seated. If it doesn't fully insert the gear or the electrical switch internal to it doesn't make contact all one will hear is clicking. It can be purchased as a separate part.

Unfortunately reman part durability is highly variable. See the section on Remanufactured Parts in this document:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...sdom-page.html
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 03-29-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:29 PM
Lance Jackman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, some really good reading in there.

I'd really like to clean up the connection to the chassis first as I've read many a tale about dirty and corroded connections giving trouble.

It would appear from the pic Limeyboy posted that I have located the right cable but how best to get to it?

I don't have access to a pit or lift which makes it a lot harder.

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:50 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

It's really up there and nearly on the center line of the car, you'll need at least a good set of jack stands to get the back wheels high enough in the air to crawl under the back of the car.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Hi Lance,
Be sure to disconnect the battery, tie the battery hot cable terminal out of the way, leave the car out of gear with the parking brake on and the wheels on the ground chocked when under the vehicle so you don't inadvertently suffer an electrical burn or run yourself over if the starter inadvertently powers the wheels and running you over!
Andy
The following users liked this post:
torresmd (03-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Main earth/ground strap