Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back-dating - Insane idea or might this actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by cup997laurent
The driving difference between a 964 and a 993 is not so important , I think it didn’t worth to backdate a 993 . I raced both ‘64 and ´93 and the performance is about the same . So for this season I’m building a 964 rsr clone despite racing my 993 cup , I think the 964 if more fun to drive .....

The 964 is absolutely more fun to drive, and a better learning tool IMHO. My 993 is just a second or two faster at the track, but there’s no drama in the 993. The back end is much more lively in the 964, and the car breaks loose far more easily. But you can use that car movement to your advantage, or so I’m told ha.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:25 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The 964 is absolutely more fun to drive, and a better learning tool IMHO. My 993 is just a second or two faster at the track, but there’s no drama in the 993. The back end is much more lively in the 964, and the car breaks loose far more easily. But you can use that car movement to your advantage, or so I’m told ha.
I always like watching this video for the above reason. I’ll admit, I spent a session trying this in turn 9 of Summit Point, and managed to get it a couple times and it felt soooo good when you get it right.

The following users liked this post:
Styrizo (04-23-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 03:57 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Great video, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I never understood the backdate craze. Although I never understood the need to add bellows bumpers to a long nose and that craze has come and gone. You want the looks of a long nose by one. Leave the rest alone. I have no issues with outlaws or RSR builds I am doing a few of those myself. At least they are in the spirit of the original car.

You can backdate any air-cooled and if you are creative enough and have the money you can do just about anything. Anyone remember when they built a VW golf bodied 928?

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ied-928-a.html

Learn to drive a 964 or 993 properly and the rewards are unlike anything a modern car can offer. Drive poorly and you will scare the S4!t out of yourself. I learned what not to do in a 911 back in the early 80's in my 71E. The experience was eye opening and a lesson well learned. I am like cup997laurent and prefer the experience of the 964 over any other. I am building a dedicated 964 RSR track car and plan to build a street version soon. The important part is setting them up properly. It is amazing what a well setup 964 or 993 is like. No other car brings a smile to my face when I get it right like these do and I have driven most everything. There will always be more capable cars but not many I consider more enjoyable or challenging.

This is my 964 RSR track build.

The following users liked this post:
DIY (04-25-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 07:09 AM
Styrizo
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I always like watching this video for the above reason. I’ll admit, I spent a session trying this in turn 9 of Summit Point, and managed to get it a couple times and it felt soooo good when you get it right.

https://youtu.be/_q_YDSgRa1U
Seat-time is key. Enough said. For learning and for fun, take a seat and enjoy
Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I think a back dated 993 would be pretty awesome. Sure it's more difficult than say a 964 but clearly not impossible. I would however reset your expectations of what to expect out of the finished project. The driving dynamic will largely be the same between a 964 and a 993 with equal suspension systems. The 993 rear does feel more settled but nothing earth shattering and mostly notable when driving at the limit. Those that improve their driving skills have less of an issue than those that are ham fisted. Even then the 993 will bite back.

Given the scope of work I just don't see the value of such a project. Especially if you allocate the funds saved to other areas of an earlier car. That $$$ could fund one hell of a drivetrain!

Last edited by MarinS4; 04-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:48 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

+1. Making that pendulum your friend is part of the fun/charm. Suspension mods and tires can also help tame those tendencies.
It's only your friend when you know it's coming. I know it's juvenile, but I use to love to do a 180 with a GF in the passenger seat.
It seemed that any time I took my 911 in for servicing back in the 80s, I'd see at least a couple of 911s with dented fenders, waiting to be repaired. Of course that's all in the past with all the electronic aids on 997s and beyond.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I never understood the backdate craze. Although I never understood the need to add bellows bumpers to a long nose and that craze has come and gone. You want the looks of a long nose by one. Leave the rest alone. I have no issues with outlaws or RSR builds I am doing a few of those myself. At least they are in the spirit of the original car.

You can backdate any air-cooled and if you are creative enough and have the money you can do just about anything. Anyone remember when they built a VW golf bodied 928?

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ied-928-a.html

Learn to drive a 964 or 993 properly and the rewards are unlike anything a modern car can offer. Drive poorly and you will scare the S4!t out of yourself. I learned what not to do in a 911 back in the early 80's in my 71E. The experience was eye opening and a lesson well learned. I am like cup997laurent and prefer the experience of the 964 over any other. I am building a dedicated 964 RSR track car and plan to build a street version soon. The important part is setting them up properly. It is amazing what a well setup 964 or 993 is like. No other car brings a smile to my face when I get it right like these do and I have driven most everything. There will always be more capable cars but not many I consider more enjoyable or challenging.

This is my 964 RSR track build.

Congrats. That's a gorgeous car. You understand the joys of driving which only a Porsche can offer. Don't believe many owners of new Porsche models have that same appreciation. I have a neighbor who owns a 992 Turbo S and to him the greatest pleasure his car has to offer is engaging launch control and accelerating to 60 - 70 MPH.

Quick Reply: Back-dating - Insane idea or might this actually work?