Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speed:

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 08:56 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

We need an autobahn in the US....

Mark: thanks for the story and the editing....
The following users liked this post:
Mark in Baltimore (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 10:52 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
We need an autobahn in the US.....
Oh, hell no! There are too many idiots multitasking on the roads here for anything like that! Sounds neat in theory, though.
The following users liked this post:
bobboinski (04-30-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 05:42 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
I did see the needle touching 270km/h / 167mph on the tach in my 4s back in 2018 on the autobahn, Germany. I dont know what that speed is in actual speed, but I would guess maybe around the 260/265km/h / 161/164mph mark. The backstory is a kliché «reach the ferry» scenario with a five hour drive from Nurburgring to the ferry in Kiel and we were a bit short on time for the ferry depature.
I have a similar story also on my way home from the Nürburgring trying to gain lost time between traffic jams, construction work, the many speed limits that stretch throughout Germany. The traffic intensity on the autobahn makes it almost impossible to stretch out a 993 (even a turbo) for longer periods. It´s just plain stupid to attempt reaching top speed on public roads even the autobahns unrestricted parts. Almost every time there are some nasty accidents involving cars or motorbikes when passing Germany. In a split second the traffic can go to full stop. There are no room for driving errors or something breaking on the car. Driving at speed in a 993 demands concentration on another level than a modern engine strong family car. It was an intense driving experience driving home that day in the 993 turbo. I did catch the ferry as the last car as they prepared to close the gate.

A well maintained 20- 25 year old 993 can run up and down the autobahn without missing a beat at high speed. The big question is if the driver is up to it.

Reflections I made during my road trips passing Germany over the years. Looking at the average speed during that trip as I remember it was around 125 km/h from the Nürburgring to Travemünde. The drive is round 600 km. In many countries with lower traffic intensity than the german autobahn it´s possible to reach a higher average speed even if their speed limits are lower than my average above. If not speeding to much you get away with a speeding ticket. Maybe not Noway ;-)

I think it´s more fun to drive on twisty roads than the german autobahn. With that said the autobahn is an impressive achievement. How they can maintain the autobahn with that traffic intensity every day during all seasons i very impressive.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Hi Roberts, thanks for sharing your story. I fully agree with you - is the driver up to the task, twisties vs Autobahn.

Also, has anyone got palm sweat when driving at max speed? I once drove a regular car at top speed (only 200kph top speed) on an oval speed ring and I had to regularly wipe the sweat from my palms onto my pants. Driving at high speed requires so much focus for me and if anything goes wrong, it’s likely to be very serious not to say fatal hence my high level of stress.

Quick Reply: Speed: