Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Mods - The Steering Wheel. Momo or no Momo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:16 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,235 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Changing the steering wheel makes a big difference in the feel of driving. A lot of great looking options, but be aware that some wheels are better fits than others. Personally, the RS wheel fit me better than the other MOMO options. It can be trial and error to figure what works best for you.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Momo for the win! You can store the precious 4 spoke steering wheel for posterity.

Running without airbags is a legitimate concern. So go a out and get racing seats and six point harnesses. You will be far safer, and can preserve the stock seats and the the three point belts as well. Ha! It's a slippery slope.

While i personally dont care about the airbag. If youre suggesting 6 points for street use, not only is it not legal, its also dangerous without a hans.
The following users liked this post:
Gbos1 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

My $0.02...

I could care less about the airbags. The airbags in our cars serve one purpose: prevent the front passengers from smashing their brains on the steering wheel, glass or dashboard. They were an answer to a problem when people largely did not use seat belts. I've religiously used my seat belt since 2000 or so after it became mandatory in my "nanny state" (for good reason) and also given I moved beyond the juvenile stigma of it being "uncool" to use one when I started driving in '95.

If you wear your seatbelt, you're good. Every other "classic" car I've owned has not had one.
Holger3.2 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Aesthetics, Clearly the non air bag wheel wins in this department hands down.
Feel, Again the non airbag wheel just feels better. I feel like the frame is stiffer and adds to the connection the driver has to what the wheels are doing.
Street Safety, I believe ours are what they call first generation airbags, The there have been multiple improvements in the way they deploy over the years. Early versions like ours have an acceleration rate that was deemed less than desirable and addressed in later revisions. Then there's the problem of having your arm(s) crossed across the airbag at impact. I personally know of a women who's arm was shattered by a first gen airbag. She's got a lovely scar and metal plate as a reminder. May not be an issue for us drivers that keep our hands at 10+2 but those with happy hands are at greater risk.
Track Safety, Using a full face helmet with an airbag (especially first gen) is a big no no. They've been known to deploy under the hard chin area and effect the natural arc of the head during impact causing neck injuries. Opting for an open face helmet is best in this application.

Bottom line, the non airbag wheel is not as risky as it would initially appear. Each collision is different so you'll only be able to assess the merits/liability after the fact. Porsche decided to run without one on their Rennsport version of the 993. I am sure track safety was a factor in that decision not aesthetics.
Gbos1 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:12 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Feel, Again the non airbag wheel just feels better. I feel like the frame is stiffer and adds to the connection the driver has to what the wheels are doing.
Street Safety, I believe ours are what they call first generation airbags, The there have been multiple improvements in the way they deploy over the years. Early versions like ours have an acceleration rate that was deemed less than desirable and addressed in later revisions. Then there's the problem of having your arm(s) crossed across the airbag at impact. I personally know of a women who's arm was shattered by a first gen airbag. She's got a lovely scar and metal plate as a reminder. May not be an issue for us drivers that keep our hands at 10+2 but those with happy hands are at greater risk.
Track Safety, Using a full face helmet with an airbag (especially first gen) is a big no no. They've been known to deploy under the hard chin area and effect the natural arc of the head during impact causing neck injuries. Opting for an open face helmet is best in this application.

Bottom line, the non airbag wheel is not as risky as it would initially appear. Each collision is different so you'll only be able to assess the merits/liability after the fact. Porsche decided to run without one on their Rennsport version of the 993. I am sure track safety was a factor in that decision not aesthetics.

Thanks for a very interesting perspective.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:50 AM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4

Do you notify your insurer that you have a steering wheel without an airbag? Would they be okay with this? I’d imagine it could have an effect on any claim if that were discovered after the fact.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Do you notify your insurance company too when you lower your vehicle ride height and your car no longer meets the federal safety regulations regarding bumper heights?

The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
darkgable79 (05-16-2021), Gbos1 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by notabot
Do you notify your insurer that you have a steering wheel without an airbag? Would they be okay with this? I’d imagine it could have an effect on any claim if that were discovered after the fact.
I always inform them of performance up grades on all my cars. I give them all my track dates too. I tried emailing a video of my latest top speed run but the file was too large. It's too bad they would have been proud.
The following 3 users liked this post by MarinS4:
darkgable79 (05-16-2021), Gbos1 (05-13-2021), notabot (05-14-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Old 05-13-2021, 11:21 PM
JParanee
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 88 Posts

I’d be more worried about a 25 year old airbag going off accidentally than a 25 year old air bag going off in an accident :
Old 05-14-2021, 11:29 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by JParanee
I’d be more worried about a 25 year old airbag going off accidentally than a 25 year old air bag going off in an accident :
exactly.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

sliding back to the question of Momo...how much "dish" does everyone like? Flat or 70mm (I don't think the Prototipo has a 30mm dish)? I'm agnostic regarding the airbags, and want to change to a different wheel. I like the Momo Competition but not quite sure of the perforated leather. And then there's the model 80 with the horn buttons on the spokes. Anyone have experience with that wheel? So many questions I think I prefer the alcantara over smooth. Thoughts?

Marc

Last edited by s2racer; 05-15-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I love the dish of the Momo Mod .07/993 cup wheel and think it's perfect. However, it really depends on your driving style and anatomy. I like to sit close to the wheel and prefer having my arms slightly bent, whereas others might like a straight-armed approach. Seems like a better, "plugged-in" mechanical connection for me.

The thin rim of the Mod .07 also makes the steering feel more precise than a thicker-rimmed wheel, IMO. It's really a sublime wheel.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:38 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

it is a conundrum...I have a more straight-iah driving style (old time Fangio :-)) I wish there was a retailer close by to try before you buy (hate restocking and shipping hassles).
Old 05-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I was going to make a Stirling Moss reference. 🙂

Quick Reply: Interior Mods - The Steering Wheel. Momo or no Momo