Suspension arm bolt sheared off

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:25 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Suspension arm bolt sheared off

96 993 C4S M030 suspension

This week I noticed a clunking noise from the right front when I backed to the bottom of my driveway. I removed the wheel to find the inside covered with grease and this arm pulled out. On closer inspection I can see part of the bolt still in the hole. I haven’t hit anything and haven’t struck any large potholes.

What replacement part do I need? Any suggestions how to remove the sheared off bolt? I’ve attached some photos.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
96 993 C4S M030 suspension

This week I noticed a clunking noise from the right front when I backed to the bottom of my driveway. I removed the wheel to find the inside covered with grease and this arm pulled out. On closer inspection I can see part of the bolt still in the hole. I haven’t hit anything and haven’t struck any large potholes.

What replacement part do I need? Any suggestions how to remove the sheared off bolt? I’ve attached some photos.

Thanks.

That's your roll bar connector, gonna be tough to get the broken end out of the wheel carrier
Old 06-03-2021, 05:41 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill. I know that end is going to be difficult. I’ll give it a try myself and take it in if I can’t.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:29 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Default More bad news

I took a closer look at the connection, trying to map out the repair process . It appears when the sway bar connection failed it also contacted the axle boot and ripped it. That was the source of all the grease inside the rim. I fear the joint may be contaminated so I may just replace the entire axle. I’ve replaced the axle on my SC but have never tried the front on a AWD car. These are 25 year old parts so I should probably just buy a new axle. Is there anything specific to watch out for on AWD front axle replacement?
Old 06-04-2021, 12:55 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

There’s a good opportunity to make one hell of a mess with that repair. Since the wheel carrier is softer than the broken stud anytime the drill bit wanders it will easily chew through it.

Do yourself a favor and remove the wheel carrier and use a drill press and clamp carrier down. If you’re not comfortable with that pay a local machinist to do it for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by MarinS4:
Jarg1 (06-04-2021), justabout (06-04-2021), Kein_Ersatz (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:32 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

That is a strange bit of damage ...as prior poster suggested removal of the upright and someone skilled with drilling out broken stud i.e. a machinist could make quick work of it where try as you might it could result in damage to the carrier .
you can find them used and if repair is difficult to achieve that may be an easier option...Bert
Old 06-04-2021, 08:15 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m going to be putting up for sale one used and one brand new set of swaybar connections. Not sure, yet if they’ll help, but I can probably save you some money.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:47 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
There’s a good opportunity to make one hell of a mess with that repair. Since the wheel carrier is softer than the broken stud anytime the drill bit wanders it will easily chew through it.

Do yourself a favor and remove the wheel carrier and use a drill press and clamp carrier down. If you’re not comfortable with that pay a local machinist to do it for you.
I agree and will take this advice. There’s not even space to line up a drill to start a pilot hole to remove the stud. Those dissimilar metals makes the decision firm.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:50 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
I’m going to be putting up for sale one used and one brand new set of swaybar connections. Not sure, yet if they’ll help, but I can probably save you some money.
Thanks for the offer. I’ll keep it in mind. However if I have a mechanic do all the work they will probably want to provide the parts. I’ll check.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:15 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Not sure how handy you are but if worse comes to worse you can just replace the carrier. Loosen the front axle nut with an impact wrench, remove the brake caliper, remove the few bolts that hold the carrier, remove the tie rod end, separate the carrier from the front suspension arm, and the carrier will come right out. Some sockets, breaker maybe, and a cheapo harbor freight tie rod separator is all the tools you need. Then you can decide to drill that broken bolt out or just get a new one.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:55 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Not sure how handy you are but if worse comes to worse you can just replace the carrier. Loosen the front axle nut with an impact wrench, remove the brake caliper, remove the few bolts that hold the carrier, remove the tie rod end, separate the carrier from the front suspension arm, and the carrier will come right out. Some sockets, breaker maybe, and a cheapo harbor freight tie rod separator is all the tools you need. Then you can decide to drill that broken bolt out or just get a new one.
Thanks for describing the process. I’m going to give it some thought. I’m fairly handy with tools so it’s an option.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:48 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Thanks for describing the process. I’m going to give it some thought. I’m fairly handy with tools so it’s an option.

If you take the carrier off yourself, you may find a shop with an EDM bolt/tap removal near you.
The following users liked this post:
autobonrun (06-05-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I took a closer look at the connection, trying to map out the repair process . It appears when the sway bar connection failed it also contacted the axle boot and ripped it. That was the source of all the grease inside the rim. I fear the joint may be contaminated so I may just replace the entire axle. I’ve replaced the axle on my SC but have never tried the front on a AWD car. These are 25 year old parts so I should probably just buy a new axle. Is there anything specific to watch out for on AWD front axle replacement?
If you've done the SC then its basically same. You may have to loosen the bolts around the control arm and fully detach the anti-roll bar to get it out but its easy. Looking at the pics..we should all give thanks to the Porsche engineers for protecting the front brake lines! You could have been looking at a nicked brake line too.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
If you've done the SC then its basically same. You may have to loosen the bolts around the control arm and fully detach the anti-roll bar to get it out but its easy. Looking at the pics..we should all give thanks to the Porsche engineers for protecting the front brake lines! You could have been looking at a nicked brake line too.
Thanks. I’ve been letting it sit while I’m on vacation but will get it fixed soon.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:06 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Do know what the torque spec is on the axle nut? Sounds like it’s pretty high.

Quick Reply: Suspension arm bolt sheared off