993 Crew - Gearing Change Input - Yes another thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 11:55 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts
Default 993 Crew - Gearing Change Input - Yes another thread

97 C2S

I'm at a cross-roads. So thought I'd put this question out there. Yes I've read the existing threads recently, numerous ones from years gone by.

Context - I bought my car without driving it. Couldn't cross border to see the car in person. I did have a PPI and the shop pointed out there is a random issue with second gear, they felt probably requires new synchro. I saved a bit on the deal but knew that those funds would likely go to resolving the issue. Car is fantastic otherwise. So bought it. Transmission is being opened up today because I don't like the random second gear issue and want to resolve it. Doesn't want to shift into second from third at times.

BUT.....I've been reading re-gear threads. So now's a good time to get that work done to save investing in stock parts now and the re/re costs should I want to do it later. Save some to spend a lot more though.

My fear is loosing the 993 feel by re-gearing. I really enjoy my air-cooled cars, mostly for what they are. Mostly, because I have modified a few things. Re-gearing will change how the car drives, that is a fundamental change to me and not how a 993 was intended to drive (I say intended, because that's how the car shipped).

Any re-gear folks......can you share your feelings with them now? Some of you would have had it for years based on past threads.

Open to other thoughts as well.

ADDITION - Would you do steel synchros? Brass seem stout enough for the most part. Mixed reviews on RL on this aspect as well.

Last edited by SToronto; 06-24-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't re-geared but seriously thought about it twice, to fix the 1-2 ratios. IMO the /21 box is how the 993 was intended to drive, the /20 is a compromise.

In retrospect I should have brought a G50/21 back from Europe in 2005, when they were about $5k, because the cost of re-gearing even just 1-2 when I had my trans rebuilt in 2019 was Very High and I couldn't find a /21 or removable-2nd shaft anywhere.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:28 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ed devinney
I haven't re-geared but seriously thought about it twice, to fix the 1-2 ratios. IMO the /21 box is how the 993 was intended to drive, the /20 is a compromise.

In retrospect I should have brought a G50/21 back from Europe in 2005, when they were about $5k, because the cost of re-gearing even just 1-2 when I had my trans rebuilt in 2019 was Very High and I couldn't find a /21 or removable-2nd shaft anywhere.
I report that the cost is still high....haha. You should have horded them. Could sell for $$$$$ now to the 964 reimagined folks.

Why didn't you do the re-gear.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:08 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
I report that the cost is still high....haha. You should have horded them. Could sell for $$$$$ now to the 964 reimagined folks.

Why didn't you do the re-gear.
OMG it'd be like aluminum and steel bitcoin.

Re-gearing was just too expensive in the scope of the the 2019 refresh. Engine-out service (7k in parts, my labor), a bare-metal respray (15k) and a trans rebuild to fix the graunchy 2nd gear (7.5k). The piggybank might have stretched for a /20 second gear but I couldn't find anything I could afford.

Last edited by ed devinney; 06-24-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:22 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

You’re correct, that 1-2 gear shift has a large rpm drop and really benefits. One of the reasons I bought my particular 993 is the PO had already regeared the car and charged me nothing extra. But because I have a 1996 and 2nd is fixed on the spline, he only changed 3,4,5, and 6. He used the old 5th gear as 6th. I love the way it shifts through the gears. I don’t ever reach top speed anyway so giving up some high end speed wasn’t a problem for me.

He gave me the original gear set, which I’ve kept submerged in gear oil the last 15 years.

The following users liked this post:
ed devinney (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:53 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by autobonrun
. One of the reasons I bought my particular 993 is the PO had already regeared the car and charged me nothing extra.
That's another interesting point, value. I don't intend to sell the car and I'm typically of the camp to not worry about what happens at sale time. Prefer to have the car the way I want it. I of course don't do outrageous things anyway. But I wonder whether a 993 buyer would want a regeared or original ratio car. If regeared I would assume no value assigned to it later (as worst case scenario).
Old 06-24-2021, 02:10 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

FYI: grinding when downshifting 3rd to 2nd might be motor mounts. I had the same issue (random) and motor fixed my 96 C4.

If the mounts are original, you should change them.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
FYI: grinding when downshifting 3rd to 2nd might be motor mounts. I had the same issue (random) and motor fixed my 96 C4.

If the mounts are original, you should change them.
The downshift doesn't take with a normal shift. I never tried to force it into gear. You then let it go to neutral and try the shift into second again, it works, mostly. I have also tried double clutch, issue still occurs in a random nature. It mostly occurs when you do not rev match or with lower range.

Car had what I believe were original mounts. I did replace them with RS mounts. I also replaced the slave cylinder, flushed clutch hydraulic and transmission oil. Tried a few things that I found on RL, past recommendations from Steve Weiner. Also the input shaft is not rusted or dry. So left with opening the box up for a look at this point.

Last edited by SToronto; 06-24-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Just say no! Regearing the transmission, although regearing can enhance the driving experience for some by moving the shift points, it is an expensive modification. One may be better off learning to value the virtues of the stock, tall 2nd & 3d gears when driving in traffic.
Andy
Old 06-24-2021, 02:47 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 238 Posts

Re-gearing (complemented by a few other related modifications) makes a 993 come alive. If you are opening up the transmission anyway then yes, absolutely do a re-gear!

/

Last edited by fatmike; 06-24-2021 at 02:52 PM.
SToronto (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:52 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

This was also my story. My car was graunchy 1-2 but not bad 3-2. It was that way when I got it at 37k miles, Soon after it needed a clutch and we saw that the one in there wasn't original, so the first 37k miles must have been pretty hard. No oil or adjusting fixed it, and the removed synchro told the story.

Over the hump I don't regret leaving the gearing alone when balanced against cost. The rebuild + Porsche/Mobil PTX unicorn tear oil + Fister SSK-Goldenrod combo were transformative to enjoying the car, which I already enjoyed immensely.

Watching recent sales, your point about value seems spot-on. We 993 nerds might slaver and even pay extra but on the whole the market doesn't really reward re-gearing.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:00 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

This was also my story. My car was graunchy 1-2 but not bad 3-2. It was that way when I got it at 37k miles, Soon after it needed a clutch and we saw that the one in there wasn't original, so the first 37k miles must have been pretty hard. No oil or adjusting fixed it, and the removed synchro told the story.
I don't think I have a 1-2 issue, sometimes it's not buttery smooth but that's normal when cold. Have the same on my 997.2. My car has 36k miles and had it's clutch replaced last Fall by the seller. Car had no mods.

Over the hump I don't regret leaving the gearing alone when balanced against cost. The rebuild + Porsche/Mobil PTX unicorn tear oil + Fister SSK-Goldenrod combo were transformative to enjoying the car, which I already enjoyed immensely.

Watching recent sales, your point about value seems spot-on. We 993 nerds might slaver and even pay extra but on the whole the market doesn't really reward re-gearing.
I put in a Fister SSK + G-rod....great stuff. No and the nerd in me generally thinks leaving this original is the way to go. Changing shift points changes the 993. I get the statements of makes it so much better and such, but it's not a NA 993 at that point. I mean one could say the same for the SKK/Grod, Fisters, KWs.....but line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited by SToronto; 06-24-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:05 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

I would definitely like to re-gear. Pretty much the only thing that bothers me about the car.
fatmike (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:11 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
But I wonder whether a 993 buyer would want a regeared or original ratio car. If regeared I would assume no value assigned to it later (as worst case scenario).
It depends on the buyer. For one that just wants a completely original car, it would be an issue. For someone that has driven both and appreciates the change, it is an asset. When it was included at no additional cost to me, it was an easy decision. If I had to pay for it, I would give it more thought.

SToronto (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:15 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Just say no! Regearing the transmission, although regearing can enhance the driving experience for some by moving the shift points, it is an expensive modification. One may be better off learning to value the virtues of the stock, tall 2nd & 3d gears when driving in traffic.
Andy
Just like the DARE program (did you have that in the States?).....just say no.

I don't find myself in much traffic as it's a fun car not a DD or regular driver. Talking like 3-5,000 kms a year.

Expensive for sure and if you don't like it for whatever reason...wow. That's why I decided to post this thread, just for some further discussion.

Quick Reply: 993 Crew - Gearing Change Input - Yes another thread