Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine is out

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:47 PM
prosaiccorsair
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good for you! I seriously wanted to do this myself for a recent clutch job but I have a 4 month old and paternity leave wasn't going to afford me enough time off to do the job myself so I farmed it out.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:09 PM
Jbelt01
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn you’re a brave soul. Impressive. I’m hesitant to take on an oil change after reading about how it’s a royal PITA. More power to you!
Old 08-04-2021, 08:52 AM
Dan Riley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The odometer just rolled to 70k. All vital signs of the engine were A-1, only issue was the slipping clutch. However after replacing the 6 exhaust valve lifters two of them had no seal remaining and just fell out of the rocker arm. I did recover all the broken seal material. I haven't gotten to the intake lifters yet as I changed the exhaust lifters while the engine was still in the car. With the seal being gone the lifters were probably not pumping up properly. I did have some lifter noise on the right side when starting after sitting a while. I did replace or will replace all the CV joint boots. The outer boots were cracked and needed replacement.

Thank you all for the information and advice. Comforting to know that if trouble arises I have top notch resources out there to guide me through.

Dan
Old 08-04-2021, 04:03 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Riley
I changed the exhaust lifters while the engine was still in the car.
Ooh, nice! What did you use to compress valve springs with the engine still in the car?
I was curious about it for valve stem seals replacement I still planning on doing https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...engine-in.html
Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Dan Riley
Advanced

The valve lifters are a part of the rocker arm. You just have to see it to believe it, pretty ingenious really. Just remove each rocker arm and remove the old and insert the new and reinstall the rocker arm.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:16 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The valve lifters are a part of the rocker arm. You just have to see it to believe it, pretty ingenious really. Just remove each rocker arm and remove the old and insert the new and reinstall the rocker arm.
Ah, right. You need to remove rocker arms to get to valve stem seals, but you can replace lifters(that are part of the rocker arms) without touching valve stems.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I determined the existing wires to be equivalent to a 14 awg. I bought ten feet of each brown and dark blue GXL wire from Wire Barn. GXL wiring is a high grade primary automotive wire. I just randomly chose Wire Barn because they sold small quantities. Only one foot is needed of each color. A 45 watt tip in my Weller soldering iron made short work of it.
thanks. Amazon sells in 5ft lengths for $7. Didn’t know if you were able to find it cheaper.

I am happy to buy some extras off you to lower costs. PM me

Last edited by chsu74; 08-06-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:46 PM
jbutzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos to you for your progress. You are brave to do this on your own. I wanted to say HI because I noticed your location is close to me. I am in Bristol WI. with a 1996 speed yellow C2.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:59 PM
Dan Riley
Advanced

Greetings, Not too many classic Porsches up in our neck of the woods. Nice to meet another Rennlister so close.

Quick Reply: engine is out