Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clunking sound from my new Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:44 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Clunking sound from my new Suspension

Just finished refreshing my suspension, put in Komi Active struts/shocks and M033 springs all around, new strut/shock mounts, new ball joints in the front along with new tie rods. Additionally in the back I replaced the tie rods.

just took the car out for a drive around the block (before my alignment this week) and I hearing clunking, sounds like it coming from both the front and back on opposite sides.

Any steps I could’ve messed up? Any ideas on what I could look for to resolve this?
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Are the four nuts on each strut mount snug? Is the large nut on each shock shaft tight?

Andreas
Old 09-12-2021, 10:38 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
Just finished refreshing my suspension, put in Komi Active struts/shocks and M033 springs all around, new strut/shock mounts, new ball joints in the front along with new tie rods. Additionally in the back I replaced the tie rods.

just took the car out for a drive around the block (before my alignment this week) and I hearing clunking, sounds like it coming from both the front and back on opposite sides.

Any steps I could’ve messed up? Any ideas on what I could look for to resolve this?
Double check that the rear sway bar/drop link mounts are not contacting the subframe. You will see telltale scratches.
The following users liked this post:
chris walrod (09-14-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 11:05 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

As far as I know all is torqued properly, but I will check the that all of the nuts are tight.

I will check the sway bar too.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:54 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
As far as I know all is torqued properly, but I will check the that all of the nuts are tight.

I will check the sway bar too.
Rather than the sway bar itself, I was referring to the sway bar mount/perch on the lower part of the shock. If rotated slight the wrong way on install, they can contact the sub frame.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:27 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

When do you hear the clunking noise?
When you come to a stop?
Slow speed stop or fast stopping?

Checking everything nut that you put back on is tight is a good start.
Even your wheel nuts.
Easy to forget to tighten them up after some work on the car.
That results in some clunking noise.

I've had clunking noises - turned out to be worn top mounts.
Had to check a ton of stuff and replace a few things before I found it.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2021, 02:50 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

From the short drive around the block, it appeared that the clunking was when I was making turns. Or going over some uneven surfaces. I know the wheel nuts are torqued properly, that’s not the issue.

I haven’t gone faster than about 25mph, thinking about it, I heard it when backing out of my driveway while turning the wheels and while making right turns.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:54 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
Rather than the sway bar itself, I was referring to the sway bar mount/perch on the lower part of the shock. If rotated slight the wrong way on install, they can contact the sub frame.
Are you referring to the mount point on the shock or the drop link between the shock and the sway bar? I was pretty sure everything was correct, but when the suspension is moving, I don't know how much clearance there needs to be.

Tomorrow I will drop the engine and trans pans and look at everything, and ensure everything is tight and has some amount of clearance.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:27 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Hi Artie
Also, verify your springs are properly seated on the spring perch on each corner and mate up with the hats properly.
If your ride height is not lower than ROW lowered height (USA specification -30mm) suspension components should not have interference issues.
The below page is a document on spring selection and how to measure your suspension height:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtxet2j9ej...nlist.pdf?dl=0
Andy
Old 09-18-2021, 12:30 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Started checking all of the suggestions from everyone and everything else in the suspension. Did the front this evening and will do the rear this weekend.

In the front I believe the driver’s side ARB drop link is bad, I can easily move it back and forth by hand, and on the passenger side I can’t budge it at all. So, one side is bad. Will need to replace.

if I upgrade the ARBs, will the stock drop links still be compatible? Plan on upgrading in a few months, but I’d replace the drop links now assuming I could use them with the upgraded ARBs.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound from my new Suspension