Interior Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 04:21 PM
11Quarts
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interior Makeover

Hello,

I am about to do a makeover of the interior of my Polar Silver 1996 C4S. The car is relatively stock except fo the MY'02 shifter/ebrake, conversion to a split grille and RUF 19" wheels. The car did not come with many "extras" and the interior is primarily a vinyl/synthetic one. I found some hardback sport seats ready for conversion from grey to black leather and painted (Polar Silver) backs. I will be doing the entire interior in leather.
Front seats, rear seats, door panels & door tops, armrests & door handles, rear side panels, upper and lower dash, dashboard, center console with hand brake & center tray, rear deck shelf, steering wheel, and shifter. I am strongly considering a silver contract stitching but I want to make it tasteful and not over the top. I would appreciate any suggestions, tips, ideas? Thank you in advance.

~Dave
Old 12-14-2021, 07:56 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

I personally think the contrasting stitching might be overkill, but I love the look and stitching of full leather. Are you recovering the parts yourself or have you sourced original leather covered parts? Be sure to shoot some close up before and after pics.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:44 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like a great project. I hope to do something similar one day so I'll look forward to hearing about the progress.

Will you be replacing carpet as well? Adding any sound deadening,. etc.?
Old 12-15-2021, 11:59 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think deviating stitching looks great as long as you keep it limited to only certain areas like the dash, door arm rests, parts of the seats. Too much deviating stitching makes the interior look busy and tacky. Less is more.

Who is doing the work for you?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:30 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I used classic9 (Bob Budd) to do this on my car. I went with black leather with a light grey (not quite white) deviated stitching. Upper and lower dashes, center console, door pocket tops and pulls, and door top rails (no stitching on those, just leather). It's very tasteful, looks like it could have come from the factory that way, and instantly transforms the interior from 90's VW Golf to what it should be. I love the design of the 993 interior, it's just the material quality that is lacking. I will dig up some pics.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:14 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Chrchill-

Did you install the Classic 9 parts yourself, or did a shop install them?
Old 12-15-2021, 08:24 PM
11Quarts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
I personally think the contrasting stitching might be overkill, but I love the look and stitching of full leather. Are you recovering the parts yourself or have you sourced original leather covered parts? Be sure to shoot some close up before and after pics.
I am going to look at a couple of my fellow Rennlister's pics that have been offered up. I won't be going bright but keep it subtle with the color and gauge of the stitching. I am recovering the parts myself and will be certain to post pics:-)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:25 PM
11Quarts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Sounds like a great project. I hope to do something similar one day so I'll look forward to hearing about the progress.

Will you be replacing carpet as well? Adding any sound deadening,. etc.?
The carpet is still being discussed. Hard to imagine but it really is a PITA to replace and mine is in excellent condition. The sound mat additive is another discussion point with the installer. I will keep you posted.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:28 PM
11Quarts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
I think deviating stitching looks great as long as you keep it limited to only certain areas like the dash, door arm rests, parts of the seats. Too much deviating stitching makes the interior look busy and tacky. Less is more.

Who is doing the work for you?
Jim,

I am having the work done at Rstrada with Arling. A little more informed decision-making then time to slide down the slope:-)

~Dave
Old 12-15-2021, 11:13 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

I am assuming you are going with black carpets and leather? I have polar silver and I’ve always thought the right brown/natural interior would look fantastic with polar. I would be very selective with contrasting stitching. Not in the same style but many of the singer interiors are beautiful

sounds like a great project. I’m jealous.
The following 2 users liked this post by aircooledpurist:
alsamrob4 (12-16-2021), SpeedyC2 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:05 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Great project Dave. Please keep us posted with photos. Lot and lots of photos.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:45 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
I am assuming you are going with black carpets and leather? I have polar silver and I’ve always thought the right brown/natural interior would look fantastic with polar. I would be very selective with contrasting stitching. Not in the same style but many of the singer interiors are beautiful

sounds like a great project. I’m jealous.
Mine is Polar silver with chestnut brown interior. It is a very nice combo IMHO
Old 12-16-2021, 04:46 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Chrchill-

Did you install the Classic 9 parts yourself, or did a shop install them?
Classic 9 did the leather work, but I did the removal and reinstall of the interior parts. Really not hard. Only one that I remember being a bit of a pain is the lower dash.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:55 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

^^^Thanks!
Old 12-17-2021, 04:51 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

My Polar Silver has what I personally consider the best interior colour combo from the factory: black dash, light grey interior, black floor mats. I've seen cars with the deviated interior and I'm just not a fan of the 2-tone on the door card and around the speakers, etc.

In one of my non-Porsches, I have a set of brand new Recaro Sportster CS seats I had custom done in black with bright red deviated stitching and I for sure made the right call (I also did suede on the inserts and leather for the bolsters/headrest). The car has a bright blue exterior (think Riviera blue) with a black interior with red stitching everywhere. Also matches the red Wilwood brake calipers. I painted the back of my Recaros to match the blue exterior but stuck with black seat belts.

That said, if you want to do deviated polar silver stitching on your interior, I would do something like an all-black interior and maybe do the seat belts to match the stitching, but at a minimum paint the hardback seats polar silver like you said.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Last edited by anguilla1980; 12-17-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior Makeover