Sponsored by: DashLynx

PSS10 won't compress - WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 06:07 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 232 Posts
Default PSS10 won't compress - WTF??

I had my car up on stands for a wheel off brake service and when I come to drop the car back down to the ground, the passenger side wheel comes down, touches the ground and takes the weight but the drivers side wheel is still 3" in the air!!
When I was putting the wheel back on the passenger side, I put my weight on the wheel to stand up and felt the wheel drop by a couple of inches so I'm thinking the shock piston has come out of it's cylinder and is binding up inside the shock.
PSS10's were installed 60k miles/10years ago so I guess they've served a useful life. I'm just dumbfounded that they could fail like this and leave the car undriveable.
Anyone else had experience like this?
Any suggestions on what to do?

I'm at a complete loss and ready to hit the bottle.
Let me get you all a picture coz this is wacko.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Front or rear?

Andreas
Old 01-02-2022, 06:20 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Even on the ground the spring is loose and it looks like I have positive camber:

Here's the offending shock:

Old 01-02-2022, 06:25 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe it's frozen
Old 01-02-2022, 06:37 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like the top of the upper spring isn't seated on the spring mount (the Aluminum thing at the top). Perhaps when you moved the wheel the spring slid off the mount and is now at a slight angle and so isn't sliding back on into place. Jack up the car and compare the two sides. I believe that the lower helper spring is intended to keep enough pressure on the assembly when the car is up in the air such that the top spring stays in place. With the car up on stands you might be able to push down on the tire to ease any tension on the spring and then guide the top spring back into place on the upper spring seat.

GC
Old 01-02-2022, 06:41 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by GC96
It looks like the top of the upper spring isn't seated on the spring mount (the Aluminum thing at the top). Perhaps when you moved the wheel the spring slid off the mount and is now at a slight angle and so isn't sliding back on into place. Jack up the car and compare the two sides. I believe that the lower helper spring is intended to keep enough pressure on the assembly when the car is up in the air such that the top spring stays in place. With the car up on stands you might be able to push down on the tire to ease any tension on the spring and then guide the top spring back into place on the upper spring seat.

GC
THIS
Old 01-02-2022, 06:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

I think the piston is unthreaded within the shock body.

Andreas
Old 01-02-2022, 06:57 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Thanks, after a beer I think this needs to go to Bilstein for reconstructive surgery.
And the cheery on top?
Just got a call from my daughter - her car won't start!!
Be careful out there guys, there's strange forces at work.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IainM
Thanks, after a beer I think this needs to go to Bilstein for reconstructive surgery.
And the cheery on top?
Just got a call from my daughter - her car won't start!!
Be careful out there guys, there's strange forces at work.
PM sent.

Andreas
Old 01-03-2022, 12:15 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC96

GC
I was not able to apply enough force by hand to make any difference. The strut is not collapsing into the coilover body. I see it when I let the car down off the jack - the wheel hits the ground and the shock doesn't compress, its essentially a frozen assembly as Ben called it. I think something has come unassembled within the coilover body. Even when it's taking the weight (drivers side is off the ground due to sway bar action?) the upper spring is loose.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:20 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
PM sent.
Andreas
Thanks Andreas, more than willing to try some things in the name of education.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:40 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
I was not able to apply enough force by hand to make any difference. The strut is not collapsing into the coilover body. I see it when I let the car down off the jack - the wheel hits the ground and the shock doesn't compress, its essentially a frozen assembly as Ben called it. I think something has come unassembled within the coilover body. Even when it's taking the weight (drivers side is off the ground due to sway bar action?) the upper spring is loose.

Right. If the spring were off center, it wouldn't prevent the weight of the car from compressing the spring. It would just compress it crookedly and more than normal.

Something is wrong internally (as you've deduced).
Old 01-03-2022, 01:29 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Whatever you do just be careful poking around trying to get it to release. There’s a LOT of stored energy there and you don’t want any body parts near when it finally decides to compress.

In your shoes I’d jack up both fronts again (to release sway bar spring load) try lower a bit at a time. Use a long piece of wood to tap upper spring over perch from under/front when it’s just partially lowered. If that don’t work kick top of tire on way down to help release shock bind.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 01-03-2022, 02:56 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Even if I could get it back to working, how can I know it's fit for service.
Here's the view that blew my mind:

Old 01-03-2022, 03:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Ian,
Exhaustive PM sent.

Andreas

Quick Reply: PSS10 won't compress - WTF??