Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Koni Sport dampers and springs - Are you happy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Koni Sport dampers and springs - Are you happy?

I've trolled through old posts and it seems some have gone this path.
A friend has a C2 with 70K miles, HR springs and is not happy with damping or ride height.
I told him the Konis may be a good choice.
He is not interested in Pss10 / KW3 damping adjustability and not too interested in ride height / corner balance adjustability.

I know some konis had a piston rod length issue which resulted in the springs unloading when suspension was at full droop.

So 3 questions / requests.

1) Please reply to this thread if you've tried the Konis.
2) is the piston rod length still an issue? I see that Gert had posted that Koni knew of the issue and was changing the length on some dampers.
3) I guess Chris W no longer makes his front lower control arm bushings available, are there other sources?

cheers

Craig

Old 01-17-2022, 11:03 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
So 3 questions / requests.

1) Please reply to this thread if you've tried the Konis.
2) is the piston rod length still an issue? I see that Gert had posted that Koni knew of the issue and was changing the length on some dampers.
3) I guess Chris W no longer makes his front lower control arm bushings available, are there other sources?

cheers

Craig
Just installed Konis Special Active and ROW M033 springs in October of last year. I love the lowered look and better handling. And, the firmness is just right.
2. I do not have any float issues.
3. Installed Chris' bushing, they can be acquired here and I had Andreas install them.

Car feels great. I also installed RS Inner Tie Rods.

Artie

Old 01-18-2022, 12:11 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I too have the M033 Springs and Koni Active (red) shocks, love to lowered look and firm ride but not rough. I installed them at home, used the originals front Monroe shocks to measure the spring perch location, after a few miles and a month the car settled to where it was within the specs when measured from the underbody points. Check with Paragon as he had a great price and had stock where everybody else was backordered on springs. I did not have a spring issue but then mine is a Tip and they use special rear springs. Been almost two years since I did it. Front bushings replacement should be considered, and check the upper shock mounts. Then find someone who can align it correctly.
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (12-29-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:27 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the equivalent to the Koni Sport Actives (the ones that were pre-name and colour change - mine are gold coloured) for years on my turbo and I think they're excellent - comfort seems to improve the faster you go .
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 AM
asj262
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed the Koni Actives with M033 springs in November. I also have the Elephant Racing bump steer kit. The ride is much much better. Definitely recommend.
silverlock (12-29-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 09:42 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Another Koni SA/M033 customer and happy with ride height and overall performance. I have not pushed the car hard, so can't comment on how it handles at the limits, but if that's how you drive you'd probably be considering other options.

I did the install myself and did experience minor spring float with car on lift, but don't expect this to be an issue. Just make sure the springs nestle into the perches correctly when it's lowered and you should be fine.

Had to replace a number of components during the install, including kinematic toe arms in rear and control arm bushings in front. For the latter, went with Elephant rubber and had Andreas do the install...he's easy to work with, BTW.

Last edited by Todynot; 01-18-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:29 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Installed Koni Sports with Eibach sport springs. Very happy with ride, and adjustability. I don't drive the car that hard, but for what I do, the ride/feel is excellent.

Caveat: These replaced the original suspension, and I haven't driven a 993 with any other suspension.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll let ya know how it goes.

Cheers

Craig
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Keep in mind, rear shock bodies are non-threaded so whatever springs you go with, is what you get.
silverlock (12-29-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:25 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Cant weigh in on the konis but regarding bushings i sent my control arms to Elephant racing for their service. They have a form online for various services. I had them restore mine. They came back looking completely new with their new bushings. Highly recommend them.

Last edited by clib; 01-20-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Hi Cgfen,
One of the problems with these requests for recommendations is that most folks replace struts that are bad and any replacement strut is going to feel vastly superior to the replaced. From reading these pages it becomes readily apparent Porsche owners are renowned for adapting to what they got when it comes to struts and liking them! Have we ever seen a posting where an owner said his replacement struts were not good other than where stiff racing hardware was selected in error for a street-driven car?
My thought is that the key criteria may really be is how adjustable are the replacements, first for height for example are the spring position mounts adjustable then if looking for the next level of performance is their dampening adjustable. Also, a plus is if they can be rebuilt, saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars the next time around. My car came with UFO aftermarket lowering springs and the original struts so I went with the H&R complete Coilover kits as being a complete system with springs and the strut assuming they would be well matched for street use. And of course, there was a fantastic difference for the better vs the dead OE struts, go figure?
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 01-20-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:15 AM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated with Koni's first. The ride was nice, but the height was not. So then I upgraded with M030 springs/sway bars, ball joints, and elephant bushings. Height was improved. No more float/drift at speed. Ride stiffened up, but not so much that it beats you up. I'm never going to track my car or adjust suspension, so pretty happy with setup. M033 springs without bars may not be bad option if you want the lowered look with touring ride.

Quick Reply: Koni Sport dampers and springs - Are you happy?