Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

9m Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for 993/964

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:28 PM
911hillbill
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the answer you obtained a secret ,or youre just not in the mood to share information with other owners on a community board designed to … spread knowledge with like minded owners

what would @geolab think of a post like this :

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
I have a Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for my 3.8 build and I called Patrick Motorsports because they have provided me flywheel and clutch balancing services. A quick phone call and I had the answer.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (03-30-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:25 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for my 3.8 build and I called Patrick Motorsports because they have provided me flywheel and clutch balancing services. A quick phone call and I had the answer.
I’m sure Patrick Motorsports wouldn’t appreciate if a lot of people started calling them on this setup.

There wasn’t enough information regarding this conversion.
That’s why I asked Mike J.(since he is so much more knowledgeable than me) about this & he posted his question in posting #26.

They’re still no real answers or discussion to Mike’s inquiry ☹️

Last edited by gw911nine97; 03-28-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:58 AM
911hillbill
6th Gear

so @NineMeister have been online in the 2 days according to their profile but not commenting here

what do we take from that

Originally Posted by gw911nine97

There wasn’t enough information regarding this conversion.

That’s why I asked Mike J.(since he is so much more knowledgeable than me) about this & he posted his question in posting #26.

They’re still no real answers or discussion to Mike’s inquiry ☹️
​​​​​​​

Last edited by 911hillbill; 03-29-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:04 AM
911hillbill
6th Gear

so you wanted information to be provided to you

Can you post the review from “Evo Magazine: Reviewed in the 'Fast Fleet' in Evo – Issue 296, April 2022”

Thanks

but do not wish to share your info with others after being here a decade

Old 03-29-2022, 11:57 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 911hillbill
so @NineMeister have been online in the 2 days according to their profile but not commenting here

what do we take from that

​​​​​​​
What you can take from that?

I'm just back in work after suffering with Covid for the last couple of weeks and only dropped in briefly to see what all the fuss was about and am amazed at how easily a rock-solid reputation might have been so easily tarnished by not saying anything. Thanks for that, much appreciated.
The following 5 users liked this post by NineMeister:
Blue TTop (03-29-2022), ch3tman (03-30-2022), Churchill (03-29-2022), M. Schneider (03-30-2022), nk993 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 12:29 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 9m mid weight flywheel. What do you want to know?

Concept.
To provide an affordable direct replacement for the 964/993 DMF that offers performance and response gains from reduced inertia whilst not reducing inertia to risk the chance of a standard engine/ecu combination stalling in traffic.
On the basis that you can retain and use the complete standard clutch, aside from labour the total cost of installation is the price of the flywheel which is currently approximately 1/3 of the cost of the 964RS LWF with installation kit.That's pretty good value for money in my book.

Proof of concept.
The first MWFW we made is in the back of my "everyday" 1998 993 C2 convertible.
Is the engine stock?
Yes, albeit with a recent 9m top end rebuild of the Varioram motor.
Does it stall?
No, not at all. Starts first crack from cold, fast idles then drops to idle speed on warm up and can pull away on the idle map.
Has it been remapped?
No, although even though this is a UK car we've converted it to use a bone-stock 1996 US 88 pin ecu.
How does it drive?
Without a lie the carbio is the smoothest and cleanest running 993 that I've ever driven. It's turbine smooth, seriously.
Is there any gear chatter?
Yes, some, although only in high load, low rpm and seemingly a lot less than the equivalent RS LWF package.
What about the solid center plate?
What about the solid center plate? I've driven stick shift cars my entire life and my Audi S4 has now done 106,000 miles on the original clutch so I guess you could say I'm mechanically sympathetic? But that said if you can feather a clutch correctly in my view you will have no issues. I'm not just saying this for the sake of making a sale, but I've now had this flywheel fitted for over 6 months and at no point during that time have I ever consciously thought about it being there, but I every time I drive it I do notice that it's faster than stock.

If you need more information just call me.

The following 3 users liked this post by NineMeister:
ch3tman (03-30-2022), M. Schneider (03-30-2022), YellowDieselGolf (04-05-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 12:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Prices
Yes there have been material cost increases. No, we are not passing them on.

Chet has already listed the prices
Retail £695.00
5-off group buy £545.00
10-off group buy at £505.00

Shipping:
UK: £15.00 GBP
US: £85.00 GBP
EU: £60.00 GBP

These prices exclude 20% VAT which (courtesy of Brexit) only apply to UK customers.

The Deal
The first 10 to pay in advance will be at the price of £505.00 + shipping
The second 10 will be at £545 + shipping
Payments are via bank transfer only, we cannot accept credit card payments at this heavily discounted price point.

To confirm your order and make payment please send an email to Peter.Robinson@ninemeister.com and he will forward bank details for the payments.
The following 2 users liked this post by NineMeister:
ch3tman (03-30-2022), M. Schneider (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 01:31 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister

Concept.
To provide an affordable direct replacement for the 964/993 DMF that offers performance and response gains from reduced inertia whilst not reducing inertia to risk the chance of a standard engine/ecu combination stalling in traffic.
On the basis that you can retain and use the complete standard clutch, aside from labour the total cost of installation is the price of the flywheel which is currently approximately 1/3 of the cost of the 964RS LWF with installation kit.That's pretty good value for money in my book.

Proof of concept.
Is the engine stock?
Does it stall?
No, not at all. Starts first crack from cold, fast idles then drops to idle speed on warm up and can pull away on the idle map.
Has it been remapped?
No, although even though this is a UK car we've converted it to use a bone-stock 1996 US 88 pin ecu.
How does it drive?
Without a lie the carbio is the smoothest and cleanest running 993 that I've ever driven. It's turbine smooth, seriously.
Yes, some, although only in high load, low rpm and seemingly a lot less than the equivalent RS LWF package.
What about the solid center plate? I've driven stick shift cars my entire life and my Audi S4 has now done 106,000 miles on the original clutch so I guess you could say I'm mechanically sympathetic? But that said if you can feather a clutch correctly in my view you will have no issues. I'm not just saying this for the sake of making a sale, but I've now had this flywheel fitted for over 6 months and at no point during that time have I ever consciously thought about it being there, but I every time I drive it I do notice that it's faster than stock.

US 96+ cars don't stall even with the lighter RS flywheel. Have you tested this one in a 94-95MY car that is susceptible to stalling?
Old 03-29-2022, 04:03 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Concept.

Proof of concept.
Is the engine stock?
Does it stall?
Has it been remapped?
How does it drive?

Colin -

Thank you for answering in this thread!
To confirm - Is there ANY need to alter any other aspect of the clutch when installing the 9meister MWF? (Alterations along the line of what is needed for an RS LWF, etc)

Also - As I'm hoping the answer is NO need, HOW can we get funds to you?
Old 03-29-2022, 04:13 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ToSi
US 96+ cars don't stall even with the lighter RS flywheel. Have you tested this one in a 94-95MY car that is susceptible to stalling?
Yes.

Also the EVO car was a stock 993 55 pin an no issues have been reported.
ch3tman (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 04:21 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DocTock993
Colin -

Thank you for answering in this thread!
To confirm - Is there ANY need to alter any other aspect of the clutch when installing the 9meister MWF? (Alterations along the line of what is needed for an RS LWF, etc)

Also - As I'm hoping the answer is NO need, HOW can we get funds to you?
For the sake of absolute clarification: NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS OR PARTS ARE REQUIRED TO CONVERT FROM THE DMF.
You do not need to replace the clutch. Or bolts. Or release bearing or guide tube. You do not need a starter ring gear.
Of course you can replace the clutch or bolts if you deem it appropriate, but this is your call. I fitted mine with the original clutch, worked fine.

I believe that there are 3rd party international bank transfer solutions available, such as XE and Wise. Do your due diligence as we cannot vet these services.
To make a purchase as per prior post, send an email to Peter and he will send you our bank details and possibly make further suggestions regarding the transfer agent.

Best, C
ch3tman (03-30-2022), DocTock993 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

To those that have fears of "stalling" with this mid-weight version I'll add some perspective.

I upgraded to LWFW. It did suffer from some stalling even though it's a 96 with 97 ECU. I removed the ICV, cleaned it, removed tamper proof glue from adjustment screws then reinstalled. Once adjusted properly I never had an issue again.

That adjustment limits how much the ECU can close the idle valve. Just like adjusting idle with old carburetors that hold butterfly open a touch. Pretty simple really.

So in conclusion I'd buy a mid-weight flywheel for all the benefits and don't stress about the "what ifs".
Old 03-29-2022, 09:55 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by 911hillbill

what do we take from that​​​​​​​
Look at you. Been here all of 15 minutes. 4 useless posts calling out trusted members and supporters.

You, sir, are the definition of a troll. If we still had mods....

Next time, try contributing something to the forum before demanding anything.

Can we ban this useless drivel?
The following 2 users liked this post by 71-3.0-911:
Blue TTop (03-30-2022), c2_peter (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 07:01 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've just made a call to prospective UK buyer who has asked whether he could "try before he buys" and drive a 993 with the MWFW fitted. Naturally I offered my convertible and he's going to drop in for a drive, so afterwards I will ask if he can post a "first impressions" independent viewpoint on his experience.

Thanks for those who have reached out already and sent emails to Peter, I'll update numbers later.
Blue TTop (03-30-2022), ch3tman (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:40 AM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks Colin/Team Ninemeister for chiming in (despite the earlier attempted 'hijack' and more recently 'sabotage' ) and especially in succinctly addressing the following items which I believe form the crux of most prospective customers' concerns...

Does it stall?

For the sake of absolute clarification: NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS OR PARTS ARE REQUIRED TO CONVERT FROM THE DMF.
You do not need to replace the clutch.
Or bolts. Or release bearing or guide tube. You do not need a starter ring gear.
Of course you can replace the clutch or bolts if you deem it appropriate, but this is your call. I fitted mine with the original clutch, worked fine.
(...and in the interests of fairness, these are the same topics I posed to Peter at 9m back in November!)

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Did they post actual weight? Same question on the clutch disk w/o spring.
Do these help?

I've just made a call to prospective UK buyer who has asked whether he could "try before he buys" and drive a 993 with the MWFW fitted. Naturally I offered my convertible and he's going to drop in for a drive, so afterwards I will ask if he can post a "first impressions" independent viewpoint on his experience.
What a generous offer! Had I not been ~400miles away (roundtrip) I'd have also popped in to see/hear it first hand too.
Really looking forward to Lewis' feedback.

Last edited by ch3tman; 03-30-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 9m Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for 993/964