9m Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for 993/964

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 11:25 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Colin,

Sorry to hear you went through a bought of Covid, and am glad that you are past that, it can be pretty rough! Also many thanks for making it clear that we can use the "standard" components with your flywheel with no issues.

It sounds like we still have the choice of spring or unsprung clutch disk. We have a stock setup on the shelf ready for installation, so I guess we will use those components (solid clutch disk) on the installation.

While you are clear that you are running a solid clutch disk, do you have any observations or comments of the impact if someone runs with a sprung clutch disk (like on the RS)? I suspect it might take some "sharpness" out of the engagement but it also depends a lot on the skill of the driver. :-). I do not know if there are any read advantages, but I wonder they Porsche specified that with their solid flywheel.

Anyways, thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-30-2022, 04:27 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Just paid for my flywheel.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:09 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Order also placed!

Thank you @ch3tman for setting this up with Colin @NineMeister
The following users liked this post:
ch3tman (04-05-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 07:39 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
These prices exclude 20% VAT which (courtesy of Brexit) only apply to UK customers.

The Deal
The first 10 to pay in advance will be at the price of £505.00 + shipping
The second 10 will be at £545 + shipping
VAT applied to everyone prior to Brexit as well... The only difference Brexit has made is that EU customers now pay on import rather than when ordering in exactly the same way that other non-UK customers will.

Basically, VAT is fundamentally no different than it was before Brexit - everyone had to pay it prior to Brexit and they still do. All that's really changed is where you pay the VAT (some EU customers might benefit from that change) and EU customers getting hit with import duty that they previously did not have to pay, which isn't great for those in the EU.

You mentioned that the first ten to pay get the lowest price - not the first ten on the list or the first ten orders placed? Have you taken ten payments now? I'm guessing the list is redundant. I am a bit confused about how to know what price to pay. It also looks like there is a maximum of twenty available at a discounted price?

It looks like an good product and I am definitely interested in this. It's a shame that the offer seems to have been amended somewhat but not by enough that it should be a problem.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:31 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Colin,

Sorry to hear you went through a bought of Covid, and am glad that you are past that, it can be pretty rough! Also many thanks for making it clear that we can use the "standard" components with your flywheel with no issues.

It sounds like we still have the choice of spring or unsprung clutch disk. We have a stock setup on the shelf ready for installation, so I guess we will use those components (solid clutch disk) on the installation.

While you are clear that you are running a solid clutch disk, do you have any observations or comments of the impact if someone runs with a sprung clutch disk (like on the RS)? I suspect it might take some "sharpness" out of the engagement but it also depends a lot on the skill of the driver. :-). I do not know if there are any read advantages, but I wonder they Porsche specified that with their solid flywheel.

Anyways, thanks!

Cheers,

Mike
Cheers Mike. Covid is now endemic, so we will all have to suffer it at some point I guess. Luckily for me I had been vaccinated and boosted so as a likely result had barely a week to suffer.

At this point the only clutch center plate that you can fit is the stock, un-sprung 993 item. The RS center plate will not fit the MWFW. This is the only real compromise from the swap-out, but as I said previously, with a cost of 1/3 that of the RS package I do think that the compromise is acceptable and represents good value for money. If I get the chance in future I might investigate a sprung plate option, but for now this is what we have. My 993 has the solid and I don't notice it specifically, others have reported same and out of approximately 20 sold to date we have had one customer who could not live with the compromise (so we swapped it back at no cost).
Old 03-31-2022, 11:41 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spooky69
VAT applied to everyone prior to Brexit as well... The only difference Brexit has made is that EU customers now pay on import rather than when ordering in exactly the same way that other non-UK customers will.

Basically, VAT is fundamentally no different than it was before Brexit - everyone had to pay it prior to Brexit and they still do. All that's really changed is where you pay the VAT (some EU customers might benefit from that change) and EU customers getting hit with import duty that they previously did not have to pay, which isn't great for those in the EU.

You mentioned that the first ten to pay get the lowest price - not the first ten on the list or the first ten orders placed? Have you taken ten payments now? I'm guessing the list is redundant. I am a bit confused about how to know what price to pay. It also looks like there is a maximum of twenty available at a discounted price?

It looks like an good product and I am definitely interested in this. It's a shame that the offer seems to have been amended somewhat but not by enough that it should be a problem.
In my view there is no sale until the money has been exchanged, so at risk of being seen to be cold if you want to order a MWFW at the 10 off price simply send an email to Peter and confirm that payment has been made. He has the list of those who have committed financially and that will be the only list that counts. The offer for a 10 off group buy has not changed in any way and if we do get more than 10 payments by the end of the week we will take a view on it and be fair.
Anyone who misses the first round can still join in, albeit at a slightly increased price that is still a £150 saving over list price.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:06 PM
spooky69
Racer

In my view there is no sale until the money has been exchanged, so at risk of being seen to be cold if you want to order a MWFW at the 10 off price simply send an email to Peter and confirm that payment has been made. He has the list of those who have committed financially and that will be the only list that counts. The offer for a 10 off group buy has not changed in any way and if we do get more than 10 payments by the end of the week we will take a view on it and be fair.
Anyone who misses the first round can still join in, albeit at a slightly increased price that is still a £150 saving over list price.
I was wondering how to know how much to send as placing an order by email isn't the same as you having received the money, so I guess unless told otherwise people would have to pay the lowest amount and then some might end up having to pay the difference...

I note your other post above where you stated "At this point the only clutch center plate that you can fit is the stock, un-sprung 993 item". Does this mean that your MWFW will not fit the 964? Your wording seems to indicate this, although perhaps the 993 and 964 have the same clutch center plate and set up (I've no idea).
Old 04-02-2022, 10:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was wondering how to know how much to send as placing an order by email isn't the same as you having received the money, so I guess unless told otherwise people would have to pay the lowest amount and then some might end up having to pay the difference...

I note your other post above where you stated "At this point the only clutch center plate that you can fit is the stock, un-sprung 993 item". Does this mean that your MWFW will not fit the 964? Your wording seems to indicate this, although perhaps the 993 and 964 have the same clutch center plate and set up (I've no idea).
I like to keep things simple. If your 964 or 993 has a stock dual mass flywheel, the MWFW is a direct replacement. That's all you really need to know. The 993 & 964 DMF is the same, the clutch is the same.

If you contact Peter via email he is running the list and will advise on payments received and what to send to be next in line. At close of play Friday we had 8 payments received, another promised to be sent Monday. Pete will be pulling the trigger on the production order on Monday so as it is likely we will be up to quota for the first 10 by early next week I will have a chat with Peter regarding what to ask for future payments.
ch3tman (04-05-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:57 AM
spooky69
Racer

I like to keep things simple. If your 964 or 993 has a stock dual mass flywheel, the MWFW is a direct replacement. That's all you really need to know. The 993 & 964 DMF is the same, the clutch is the same.

If you contact Peter via email he is running the list and will advise on payments received and what to send to be next in line. At close of play Friday we had 8 payments received, another promised to be sent Monday. Pete will be pulling the trigger on the production order on Monday so as it is likely we will be up to quota for the first 10 by early next week I will have a chat with Peter regarding what to ask for future payments.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have a LWFW with reinforced clutch kit from FVD so I've no idea if this would be a direct replacement.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:09 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a LWFW with reinforced clutch kit from FVD so I've no idea if this would be a direct replacement.
You have the full 964RS flywheel kit, so unless you are having issues my recommendation is to keep what you have.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I talked a bit with 9M a few months ago and where I used to work, I dealt a lot with clutch & flywheel packages. I have set up racecars with unsprung clutches and single mass flywheels but have not done so in more street applications. Engagement will not be affected by the change from dual to single mass with the same clutch, that is down to the friction material.

The springs on a clutch or movement on a dual mass do not allow for a significant amount of deflection and it is mainly there for harmonics and protection of the drivetrain. My worry on this setup would be about the drive straps on the pressure plate. The drive straps on the stock 993 pressure plate are not the strongest, if I remember correctly, they are just single layer where RS and RS 4.0 are two and three layer. When a downshift is preformed incorrectly and the engine speed is lower relative to the driveline, the drive straps experience a force opposite of what they are designed for which can result in them becoming kinked or bent.

Without having the cushion of a spring, damage is more likely to occur. As well, the harmonics of drivetrain and can create more noise under low load. While I don't believe the drive straps will fail under regular use, for high performance applications, I would recommend stepping up to RS spec. And no matter what, you are going to give up some amount of comfort going 9M or RS. I do believe this might be the best answer for a lot of people, the cost and extra work associated with RS can be off-putting and the stock dual mass leaves much to be desired and is also very prone to failure.

So those are my two cents but I have yet to try out 9M's product but I certainly would love to give it a try.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:07 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

The Gunther 400r 4.0 states a "mid-weight" flywheel. Is this yours, Colin? Patrick Motorsports?
Old 04-04-2022, 09:44 PM
Dr. P
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I committed to this early on and just sent a payment. I too was thinking about single mass FW and unsprung clutch disc combo but I've used that setup before on some other cars (5 cylinder Audi) and had no issues. Hope this works well...it's not an easy part to swap back and forth if it doesn't work out for one.

Colin - it looks like most of the weight was removed from the back side but it could be done on the face too so sprung disc could be fitted or am I mistaken?
Old 04-05-2022, 06:21 PM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 85 Posts

Exchanging notes with Peter at 9m earlier today, there were 8 confirmed payments with a 9th expected to clear tomorrow. Anyone else looking to join should probably think about sending an email in to Ninemeister soon.

Originally Posted by DocTock993
Order also placed!

Thank you @ch3tman for setting this up with Colin @NineMeister
...you're welcome! I spotted this flywheel last November and have been tempted ever since... let's hope it will be worth it ,
(especially as I don't wish to face labour costs to visit the flywheel more than once!)

Perhaps we can all use this thread to add our impressions once installed .

Last edited by ch3tman; 04-05-2022 at 06:22 PM.
DocTock993 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 09:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr. P
I committed to this early on and just sent a payment. I too was thinking about single mass FW and unsprung clutch disc combo but I've used that setup before on some other cars (5 cylinder Audi) and had no issues. Hope this works well...it's not an easy part to swap back and forth if it doesn't work out for one.

Colin - it looks like most of the weight was removed from the back side but it could be done on the face too so sprung disc could be fitted or am I mistaken?
As it stands the 9m MW flywheel does not suit the spring center plate of the RS clutch so the only option is the stock 993 clutch center which is what the part was designed for. That said and as mentioned previously, if demand to incorporate a sprung center is strong I will revisit the design and see if it is possible to have the flywheel accept both plates.

Also, as Andy has said, the package is specifically designed for improved performance in standard or mildly modified road cars and I think it's fair to assume that those more serious about performance will invest in the RS/GT3 package.
The following 2 users liked this post by NineMeister:
c2_peter (04-06-2022), Dr. P (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 9m Ninemeister mid-weight flywheel for 993/964