Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aggressive mods and resale

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 12:42 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Time for an electric ac conversion? Might help with your resale if you are worried about it.
Nice, I hadn't seen those before. I was just figuring I'd start down the path of putting all the old stuff back in
Old 04-16-2022, 08:31 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
Nice, I hadn't seen those before. I was just figuring I'd start down the path of putting all the old stuff back in
Welcome back!
Old 04-16-2022, 09:45 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Welcome back!
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2022, 03:43 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

Beautiful car. As Bill V said buyers for these are becoming more rare, but they are out there and you can find them.
for anyone looking for a streetable car, The cage is the deal breaker. Its just not safe as a street car with all that metal in the wrong places for a nonhelmeted un-harnessed driver or passenger.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:17 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

The cage is really going to be the deal breaker for most people. Impossible to live with on a street driven car, and frankly, quite dangerous. Cages are meant for driving with harnesses and helmets. Get into a crash with three point belts and bare skulls against steel tubing.... Not good.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:38 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by clib
Beautiful car. As Bill V said buyers for these are becoming more rare, but they are out there and you can find them.
for anyone looking for a streetable car, The cage is the deal breaker. Its just not safe as a street car with all that metal in the wrong places for a nonhelmeted un-harnessed driver or passenger.
Originally Posted by Churchill
The cage is really going to be the deal breaker for most people. Impossible to live with on a street driven car, and frankly, quite dangerous. Cages are meant for driving with harnesses and helmets. Get into a crash with three point belts and bare skulls against steel tubing.... Not good.
Correct, the cage comes with it's own risks and should be matched with appropriate safety devices. 3-point harnesses don't go in this car, the least I would do is the Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4 point. Even with those, you need the correct seat. There's not really any exposed cage anywhere someone would come in contact with it (using high-density padding), but there's still risk there. Of course, there's no longer any air-bags either. Being in between race and street but not fully either does make it a limited market for sure
The following users liked this post:
Churchill (04-19-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 11:07 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Dan, good to see you back on RL! You know where to find me if you want to banter 993 market! Its such a cool car and 10 years ago the enthusiasts would have ate this car up, now sadly the 993 world is filled with fewer and fewer people driving/using them as intended and more "foam cannons/PPF/cars and coffee" types. Just a change....
Old 04-19-2022, 12:35 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by nathan1
Dan, good to see you back on RL! You know where to find me if you want to banter 993 market! Its such a cool car and 10 years ago the enthusiasts would have ate this car up, now sadly the 993 world is filled with fewer and fewer people driving/using them as intended and more "foam cannons/PPF/cars and coffee" types. Just a change....
Nathan, great to be back! If at least for a little while. It's sounding pretty clear that dialing back some of the mods would open the market up more... who knows maybe I'd start driving it more too. Any chance you have a lead on a dark blue 993 dash
Old 04-19-2022, 01:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
now sadly the 993 world is filled with fewer and fewer people driving/using them as intended and more "foam cannons/PPF/cars and coffee" types. Just a change....
Nathan.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2022, 02:05 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Nathan, great to be back! If at least for a little while. It's sounding pretty clear that dialing back some of the mods would open the market up more... who knows maybe I'd start driving it more too. Any chance you have a lead on a dark blue 993 dash
Have to agree that finding a buyer for your car will be harder with the more aggressive track mods. Few people will want to track a 993 today given its value and how many easier to drive cars there are out there.
I have significantly modified my 993 for combined track and street use, which is much more difficult to balance than just track mods. However the car does both duties very well.

Your car is nicely set-up. Interesting you never got it on track. Certainly try to sell it as is for sure as.
If that doesn't pan out I would suggest to reach a wider market for someone who wants a real hot rod 993 you should consider:
- Remove the cage. It is hard to accept but the cage doesn't have much of the value it costs to install. A few cutoff wheels, some crying and you will be done. (I stopped at a bolt-in roll bar)
- A fully functional nice looking interior with good seats, heat and AC would be best. I have electric AC but I am not sure it is worth the cost for you over reinstalling the factory system.
- RS carpet, headliner and some sound deadening.
- You didn't mention engine/transmission mounts but solid mounts are killer when it comes to making noise. I had solid mounts and changed back to RS mounts which greatly reduced the transmission noise.
- The Moton Clubsports are an excellent choice for street/track use. I have them and can get a smooth street ride by softening the damper setting, even with 600/800 springs. The Motons with softer springs will provide a great street ride.

Good luck and do drive the car more, regardless of what you choose to do to it.
Mike

Old 04-19-2022, 08:19 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Very nice track 993!

Unfortunately it’s not safe for the street with the full cage and removing it is not an option with all the roof internal structure striped away.

There’s a buyer for it as is. That’s your best path forward. Down play some of the racing elements (stickers etc) and up sell the safety of cage etc for track driven 993’s I doubt you’ll reap the full benefit’s of the current market excesses but equally you’ll get more for it than what you would have a few short years ago. Sleep well knowing your ROI is likely better than most of your racing peers. Sold my track Miata last fall. It was not what I’d consider a good “investment” but damn I had fun with it!
Old 04-19-2022, 10:19 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Howdy Rennlisters!

It's been a few years since I've been active, kind of disappeared for a bit; but I still have the 993

Speaking of which... what are your thoughts on aggressive mods and / or dialing back some for resale? I've been looking at porsche market, bring a trailer, and searching threads here. I know all things equal, an unmolested version will fetch a higher sale price, although there are some allowances for "tasteful" modifications such as nice wheels, PSS10s, etc.

Well my particular example I went down a pretty steep slope preparing the car for potential non-serious track days (I never did get it on the track but I did autocross it at least). In theory I could get it closer to stock, or there are probably some things I can do to soften the appearance of the car. Then again perhaps given it's modified state, it makes more sense to leave as is since a person who wants a modified car... wants a modified car

Car as it sits today (I may forget some things)
- 1996 C4S w/ 24k miles
- Sunroof delete (full skin by Rothsport)
- Rothsport CS roll cage (1.5 x 0.120)
- 2WD conversion (complete with nosecone / RS mount)
- Custom transmission re-gear (Rothsport)
- Guards gears with ratios similar to G50/31
- motorsports mainshaft
- steel syncros
- billet shift forks
- OS Giken LSD
- Full interior strip and paint (while at RothSport)
- Carbon fiber hood
- Fiberglass turbo tail
- Recaro Profi II seats (past FIA date)
- Schroth 6 point harnesses (past FIA date)
- Moton Clubsport coilovers - refreshed this last winter
- GT2 uprights
- ERP links everywhere
- rennline engine mounts
- Elephant racing monoballs
- TRG sway bars
- Strut brace
- Set of CCW wheels and stock twists
- Supercup exhaust
- AC delete
- LED projector headlight kid (not installed)
- Rennline pedals / floorboards
- Fister golden rod / short shift
- Momo mod 07 steering wheel

For example I could add RS carpet, 4 point harnesses with DOT button release, maybe some sound deadening, and possibly softer seats to make it a bit more comfortable on the street. As it is, it's not a quiet or cloud feeling car: The steel syncros and Guards gears rattle and whine, the exhaust is loud, you feel all inputs and road feedback, the cage and seats make it hard to get in and out... it's amazing. Or maybe I'll come to my senses and keep using it as a sunny weekend drive and this'll just be a mental exercise

Love this car. So similar to mine

The following users liked this post:
Nollie (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 02:16 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Very nice track 993!

Unfortunately it’s not safe for the street with the full cage and removing it is not an option with all the roof internal structure striped away.

There’s a buyer for it as is. That’s your best path forward. Down play some of the racing elements (stickers etc) and up sell the safety of cage etc for track driven 993’s I doubt you’ll reap the full benefit’s of the current market excesses but equally you’ll get more for it than what you would have a few short years ago. Sleep well knowing your ROI is likely better than most of your racing peers. Sold my track Miata last fall. It was not what I’d consider a good “investment” but damn I had fun with it!
I'm not sure about the internal roof structure. The roof was replaced using a full non-sunroof car's roof, not a sunroof weld in panel or anything of that sort. I'd need to chat with RothSport about if there's anything missing structurally. There's a few options either way.

Posting an old photo with the numbers was a little misleading and seems to keep coming up, here's a more current image. It doesn't look like a race car.

Last edited by Nollie; 04-21-2022 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:18 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Madturk
Love this car. So similar to mine
Thanks! Your car looks amazing
Old 04-23-2022, 11:29 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't see any of the normal inner roof structure in these pics. The roof appears to be just a "skin". It's not unusual to cutaway all of the internal roof structure when installing a cage. You no longer need it since the cage is taking all of the load in the event you turtle and it allow the cage builder to run the tubing up tighter to the roof.

Again you've done a great job building a track 993! The roof/cage along with some of the other track mods make the conversion back to street car a tough proposition.

If you do decide to part ways with it let me know. I am well connected to the local Porsche group and we all live less than 15 miles from Sonoma raceway. I can think of a few guys who would love that as a track toy, I'd put them in touch with you directly.

Quick Reply: Aggressive mods and resale