Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aggressive mods and resale

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I don't see any of the normal inner roof structure in these pics. The roof appears to be just a "skin". It's not unusual to cutaway all of the internal roof structure when installing a cage. You no longer need it since the cage is taking all of the load in the event you turtle and it allow the cage builder to run the tubing up tighter to the roof.

Again you've done a great job building a track 993! The roof/cage along with some of the other track mods make the conversion back to street car a tough proposition.

If you do decide to part ways with it let me know. I am well connected to the local Porsche group and we all live less than 15 miles from Sonoma raceway. I can think of a few guys who would love that as a track toy, I'd put them in touch with you directly.
Thanks, it's a great car and I've always tried to do things "right" and not cut corners if I did modifications.

I figured I'd ask Jeff @ RothSport mostly because I have no idea what the internal structure looks like on a non-sunroof 993 or even 964 and his team did the work. I've been trying to find images or pictures online of the inside roof structure but it's surprisingly difficult. If you happen to have any images or schematics, I'd love to see them so I know for sure what's going on.

The most I've found is the diagram below, but it just shows sides / front / back. Is there anything that goes across the middle in a non-sunroof 993?

Here's some closer images of the corners of my car.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:59 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry, don't have any pics of internal ribs. I saw em first hand on a sunroof 993 we did and other non Porsche cars without a sunroof. I'd be really surprised if Porsche made a roof panel without any ribs/bracing. It's possible but highly unlikely.
The following users liked this post:
Nollie (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:18 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Sorry, don't have any pics of internal ribs. I saw em first hand on a sunroof 993 we did and other non Porsche cars without a sunroof. I'd be really surprised if Porsche made a roof panel without any ribs/bracing. It's possible but highly unlikely.
No worries. Yeah there's a fair amount of braces for the sunroof. If I find any pictures related to non-sunroof I'll post it here
Old 04-26-2022, 09:06 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't find any pictures pre-roof cut either, but here's some with the top popped off and the new roof getting graffed into place.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:00 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by wagongotya
I can't find any pictures pre-roof cut either, but here's some with the top popped off and the new roof getting graffed into place.
Sweet, yeah mine looks about the same but I didn't get the progress pictures with no skin on

Here's an image of the sunroof section, you can see the bracing; but that might be due to the increased weight and needed rigidity for the sunroof. I shot an email Steve W and Jeff and Steve mentioned the bracing around the perimeter, but I've asked for clarification on if there's anything down the center. I'll update once I know more.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:04 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Nollie
Sweet, yeah mine looks about the same but I didn't get the progress pictures with no skin on
Here's an image of the sunroof section, you can see the bracing; but that might be due to the increased weight and needed rigidity for the sunroof. I shot an email Steve W and Jeff and Steve mentioned the bracing around the perimeter, but I've asked for clarification on if there's anything down the center. I'll update once I know more.
Just heard back from Steve, he says the non-sunroof cars all look like the images above (sans cage of course). The perimeter steel supports and the shape of the roof skin provide the structure needed. So, unless shown otherwise I'll consider a-pillar portion of the cage removal to be a reasonable approach to re-street-ifying the C4S
Old 04-26-2022, 06:00 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Just heard back from Steve, he says the non-sunroof cars all look like the images above (sans cage of course). The perimeter steel supports and the shape of the roof skin provide the structure needed. So, unless shown otherwise I'll consider a-pillar portion of the cage removal to be a reasonable approach to re-street-ifying the C4S
That sounds like a good balance on re-streeting and still keeping some of the chassis bracing.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:11 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 228 Posts

Now your getting into cutting a roll cage. I don't know if I would be onboard. If you want to sell it, go for it "as is" and see what happens. As you said, if someone wants this killer track setup, they might be out there and this could be their dream car. If you start cutting and pasting, you'll end up with neither a track beast or a street car. My belief is it's too far down the track path to make it a street type car for the masses.

Last edited by os993; 04-26-2022 at 09:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by os993:
clib (04-26-2022), MC 968CS (04-26-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:19 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by os993
Now your getting into cutting a roll cage. I don't know if I would be onboard. If you want to sell it, go for it "as is" and see what happens. As you said, if someone wants this killer track setup, they might be out there and this could be their dream car. If you start cutting and pasting, you'll end up with neither a track beast or a street car. My belief is it's too far down the track path to make it a street type car for the masses.
Yeah that's fair. Just exploring options right now. If I can put some money into the car and get a wider audience then it might make some sense as long as the money in is less than the money gained. There's always going to be people that don't like the state of the car (too race, not race enough, etc.).

I've looked a resale prices a bit and the range is really wide dependent on many factors, but I haven't seen many (if any) 993s that are prepped to this level (almost race ready without a log book) to get an idea of what they're selling for

Last edited by Nollie; 04-27-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:52 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Did you look on Collecting Cars? They seem to have had a couple of race prepped 993 recently.
Nollie (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 12:01 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Did you look on Collecting Cars? They seem to have had a couple of race prepped 993 recently.
I hadn't yet, but I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2022, 04:22 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Very cool build.
If there is time available - why not list it as-is for a reserve that you would be happy with. Then if reserve is not met, you can spend money to un-modify it?
Nollie (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 06:48 PM
motobri
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

As all have said, that low a mileage car is really what gives it the value but I think some of the mods really narrows the buyer pool.
I'd get that cage out of there, get AC back on, then add Dyna mat, RS Carpeting, and build an RS tribute and it should do well at BAT- if they don't low ball your reserve.

I built a similar but a bit more street friendly track car so that everything (except sunroof delete) could be reversed. Das roll bar instead of full cage, rear seat delete, turbo brakes, similar suspension mods, but mine has a **** ton of miles so will always be a ding for that. I've wrapped mine and have wondered how that would affect an auction.

Too bad most buyers don't realize how much we've spent to build these.

Last edited by motobri; 04-28-2022 at 06:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by motobri:
JP-"S" (04-29-2022), Nollie (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 10:27 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Well I guess that explains the major weight reduction of a non sunroof panel. I apologize for the redirect.

Keeping back half and removing front half sounds like a great idea for a street rod!
Nollie (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:47 PM
JP-"S"
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe those sway bars fit a 964 so I maybe a taker on those. On the fence but leaning heavily also on the LSD.

Quick Reply: Aggressive mods and resale