Aggressive mods and resale

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aggressive mods and resale

Howdy Rennlisters!

It's been a few years since I've been active, kind of disappeared for a bit; but I still have the 993

Speaking of which... what are your thoughts on aggressive mods and / or dialing back some for resale? I've been looking at porsche market, bring a trailer, and searching threads here. I know all things equal, an unmolested version will fetch a higher sale price, although there are some allowances for "tasteful" modifications such as nice wheels, PSS10s, etc.

Well my particular example I went down a pretty steep slope preparing the car for potential non-serious track days (I never did get it on the track but I did autocross it at least). In theory I could get it closer to stock, or there are probably some things I can do to soften the appearance of the car. Then again perhaps given it's modified state, it makes more sense to leave as is since a person who wants a modified car... wants a modified car

Car as it sits today (I may forget some things)
- 1996 C4S w/ 24k miles
- Sunroof delete (full skin by Rothsport)
- Rothsport CS roll cage (1.5 x 0.120)
- 2WD conversion (complete with nosecone / RS mount)
- Custom transmission re-gear (Rothsport)
- Guards gears with ratios similar to G50/31
- motorsports mainshaft
- steel syncros
- billet shift forks
- OS Giken LSD
- Full interior strip and paint (while at RothSport)
- Carbon fiber hood
- Fiberglass turbo tail
- Recaro Profi II seats (past FIA date)
- Schroth 6 point harnesses (past FIA date)
- Moton Clubsport coilovers - refreshed this last winter
- GT2 uprights
- ERP links everywhere
- rennline engine mounts
- Elephant racing monoballs
- TRG sway bars
- Strut brace
- Set of CCW wheels and stock twists
- Supercup exhaust
- AC delete
- LED projector headlight kid (not installed)
- Rennline pedals / floorboards
- Fister golden rod / short shift
- Momo mod 07 steering wheel

For example I could add RS carpet, 4 point harnesses with DOT button release, maybe some sound deadening, and possibly softer seats to make it a bit more comfortable on the street. As it is, it's not a quiet or cloud feeling car: The steel syncros and Guards gears rattle and whine, the exhaust is loud, you feel all inputs and road feedback, the cage and seats make it hard to get in and out... it's amazing. Or maybe I'll come to my senses and keep using it as a sunny weekend drive and this'll just be a mental exercise

Last edited by Nollie; 04-15-2022 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FlatSix911 (04-17-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:46 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
Howdy Rennlisters!

For example I could add RS carpet, 4 point harnesses with DOT button release, maybe some sound deadening, and possibly softer seats to make it a bit more comfortable on the street. As it is, it's not a quiet or cloud feeling car: The steel syncros and Guards gears rattle and whine, the exhaust is loud, you feel all inputs and road feedback, the cage and seats make it hard to get in and out... it's amazing. Or maybe I'll come to my senses and keep using it as a sunny weekend drive and this'll just be a mental exercise
definitely a smaller potential market for this car, but I'd consider buying it
even though I'd end up changing the steel gears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and supercup exhaust............. oh my!

I've got the right seats
:-)

Last edited by cgfen; 04-17-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Nollie (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 01:46 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

In general I would say dial back the modifications on a lower mileage car.

The problem is you're fairly committed with the way the car sits. I think I'd sell it as-is. You won't capture the full value of the car + the modifications. But it's probably not worth the time/effort to return the car to stock.

Good luck if you decide to sell it.

/
The following 3 users liked this post by fatmike:
bobbyp (04-15-2022), jfischet (04-15-2022), Nollie (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:25 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by cgfen
definitely a smaller potential market for this car, but I'd buy it
even though I'd end up changing the steel synchros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and supercup exhaust............. oh my!

I've got the right seats
:-)
Heh yeah, the syncros and super cups are loud for sure. I have most of the stock parts so putting the old mufflers on wouldn't be a huge deal. Transmission is another story
Old 04-15-2022, 03:27 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by fatmike
In general I would say dial back the modifications on a lower mileage car.

The problem is you're fairly committed with the way the car sits. I think I'd sell it as-is. You won't capture the full value of the car + the modifications. But it's probably not worth the time/effort to return the car to stock.

Good luck if you decide to sell it.

/
Thanks, yeah it may end up being a balance. I can soften many of the mods but the cage is pretty hard to come back from. I have the majority of the stock parts, just missing the door cards and the torque tube; but I'd probably only go as far as RS style interior anyway.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:46 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Hi Nollie,
Yup, the used market likes bone stock cars or cars that at least have not been molested for performance reasons.
The mods are so extensive that any effort to substantially turn it into a civil street-driven car with reasonable suspension compliance and a with stock seats and interior may be too expensive to consider. I knew a guy who raced Miatas and kept the original parts to restore the car at sale. Do you have any of the original items? Seats etc.
An underlying issue a buyer may have is a concern for the overall integrity of a car that looks like it has spent time under the higher stresses a track car is exposed to. Not sure you will be able to mitigate this perception even with some rework.
It may be best to market the car to a small track performance-oriented customer and just become settled with the thought that when you turn a sports car into a racecar hoping to look back later it may not be feasible.
Andy
s2racer (04-21-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:55 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm your guy for those supercup pipes
Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Nollie,
Yup, the used market likes bone stock cars or cars that at least have not been molested for performance reasons.
The mods are so extensive that any effort to substantially turn it into a civil street-driven car with reasonable suspension compliance and a with stock seats and interior may be too expensive to consider. I knew a guy who raced Miatas and kept the original parts to restore the car at sale. Do you have any of the original items? Seats etc.
An underlying issue a buyer may have is a concern for the overall integrity of a car that looks like it has spent time under the higher stresses a track car is exposed to. Not sure you will be able to mitigate this perception even with some rework.
It may be best to market the car to a small track performance-oriented customer and just become settled with the thought that when you turn a sports car into a racecar hoping to look back later it may not be feasible.
Andy
Yeah I've kept most of it, sold off a few things but nothing too major. Getting it back to stock... not an option though. Getting it to RS feel... slightly more doable. I've got seats, carpet, deck lid, spare tire / accessories, I even have the AC if I wanted to take the engine out. The cage doesn't make sense to fully take out since it's fit so tight and cuts into the door trim. The sunroof delete, that stays lol.

It does have that vibe of being track driven, but none of the wear-and-tear (imho); but you're right I could see people being worried / not taking my word for it (can't blame them). Appreciate the input!
Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by wagongotya
i'm your guy for those supercup pipes
Noted! I even have the turn downs still
Old 04-15-2022, 08:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
Howdy Rennlisters!

It's been a few years since I've been active, kind of disappeared for a bit; but I still have the 993

Speaking of which... what are your thoughts on aggressive mods and / or dialing back some for resale? I've been looking at porsche market, bring a trailer, and searching threads here. I know all things equal, an unmolested version will fetch a higher sale price, although there are some allowances for "tasteful" modifications such as nice wheels, PSS10s, etc.

Well my particular example I went down a pretty steep slope preparing the car for potential non-serious track days (I never did get it on the track but I did autocross it at least). In theory I could get it closer to stock, or there are probably some things I can do to soften the appearance of the car. Then again perhaps given it's modified state, it makes more sense to leave as is since a person who wants a modified car... wants a modified car

Car as it sits today (I may forget some things)
- 1996 C4S w/ 24k miles
- Sunroof delete (full skin by Rothsport)
- Rothsport CS roll cage (1.5 x 0.120)
- 2WD conversion (complete with nosecone / RS mount)
- Custom transmission re-gear (Rothsport)
- Guards gears with ratios similar to G50/31
- motorsports mainshaft
- steel syncros
- billet shift forks
- OS Giken LSD
- Full interior strip and paint (while at RothSport)
- Carbon fiber hood
- Fiberglass turbo tail
- Recaro Profi II seats (past FIA date)
- Schroth 6 point harnesses (past FIA date)
- Moton Clubsport coilovers - refreshed this last winter
- GT2 uprights
- ERP links everywhere
- rennline engine mounts
- Elephant racing monoballs
- TRG sway bars
- Strut brace
- Set of CCW wheels and stock twists
- Supercup exhaust
- AC delete
- LED projector headlight kid (not installed)
- Rennline pedals / floorboards
- Fister golden rod / short shift
- Momo mod 07 steering wheel

Nicely set up car for the right person, Only problem is there are way fewer of those than the other kind
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Verburg:
clib (04-17-2022), gonzilla (04-21-2022), Nollie (04-15-2022), Paddy (04-21-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 10:38 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 228 Posts

I would hold off for the right buyer who wants all of this. It's not so incredibly modded to literally turn everyone off. The AC delete is probably the thing I don't like, but everything else is ok. 2WD is nice and the re-gearing is a huge plus. I have that and love it. No sunroof? Nice. Cage. Not my thing, but looks cool. If done well and you have all the receipts, why not. What ballpark price were you thinking? Do you have pics of the interior? How hardcore racer does it look?
Old 04-15-2022, 11:10 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I am in the same camp. Lose the decals and present it as a fast road 993. Modification is such a polarizing word too. Perhaps market it as enhanced, or improved, or similar terms.

There are plenty of enhanced Porsche (991 GT3 for example) that sell for decent money. Most of them tend to look OEM plus though, so keeping it factory looking is important.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:51 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by os993
I would hold off for the right buyer who wants all of this. It's not so incredibly modded to literally turn everyone off. The AC delete is probably the thing I don't like, but everything else is ok. 2WD is nice and the re-gearing is a huge plus. I have that and love it. No sunroof? Nice. Cage. Not my thing, but looks cool. If done well and you have all the receipts, why not. What ballpark price were you thinking? Do you have pics of the interior? How hardcore racer does it look?
I need to get some new pictures. Even the ones below are old and don't show the roll bar padding / current state of things. Interior is currently pretty hardcore racer, just missing the cool suit and fire suppression set up lol.

AC and more drivable interior are pretty easy, but then again buyers may want to do that themselves.

It does appear there likely buyers even for unpure samples... I need to figure out that ballpark and to get to the point of committing to sell (not quitethere yet)

Last edited by Nollie; 04-16-2022 at 12:09 AM.
FlatSix911 (04-17-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:53 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I am in the same camp. Lose the decals and present it as a fast road 993. Modification is such a polarizing word too. Perhaps market it as enhanced, or improved, or similar terms.

There are plenty of enhanced Porsche (991 GT3 for example) that sell for decent money. Most of them tend to look OEM plus though, so keeping it factory looking is important.
The picture was from some autocross season a while back, there's no vinyl on it now. From the outside it looks tame almost stock except for the low stance and the hint of cage you can see in the windows. Inside (pictures above) is spartan though. I do kick myself every summer for taking that dang AC out though... I was young and excited to get down to minimum weight level with the car
Meenrod (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 12:09 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Time for an electric ac conversion? Might help with your resale if you are worried about it.

Quick Reply: Aggressive mods and resale