Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinion of 993 Targa in White.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry guys, I have to agree with Stephen, given a choice between what's on the lot, I'd rather have a silver than a white. While there are people out there who really like white cars (it was the most popular color for cars back in the early 80s, displacing silver), it hasn't been the case for a while.

Silver is the hot color right now, metallic blues are good sellers too. Strangely, no one thrills to a blue leather interior. Oh well...

Witness a '97 white 993TT that's been sitting for more than a year at a local dealership.

Targas are great summer and winter cars, they've very bright and open inside. However, there is a weight penalty associated with them.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love speed yellow but then most people don't.. different strokes I guess..

One big advantage with the Targa vs. Cab is that with a press of a button, you can open your top at any speed... great for trips or dates.. =) LOL.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally posted by Richard1
I would rather have gray or blue but I found a white targa 96 in good condition, tiptronic (which is important as this will be a commuter car for me). I would likely not resell for a long, long time...thought the kids could like riding in a targa top.

How bad is the rattling from the targa?

Thank you all for the advice...i'm new to the 993.
in my few thousand miles of experience, i share most of the targa guys' opinion that its a great alternative to a cab. that said, i do have rattle issues, there are fixes out there, i have yet to really tear it open and apply them. i think the rattle issues would vary by specific car, and your sensitivity to them also would be a factor. i have no qualms with wind noise. either way, get the car checked and try to drive it yourself.
and as one poster mentioned the NXT wax is good stuff! just put it on last night , and the car shimmers under the lights. scratches reduced too.
good luck , j.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
onslowsq
6th Gear

I would agree with the comments about test-driving a targa before deciding to buy one. Mine is a beautiful car to look at and great to drive, particularly with the top open. But when I want it closed, that symphony of rattles, creaks, whistles, etc. can wear a bit thin. I have not tried any of the fixes, though my mechanic has done a little with no success, so I'm not sure I can't do better. Having 3 glass panels meeting each other on a roof that is subject to flexing, along with the scores of metal parts needed to operate the roof, simply cannot help but create noises. Long story short - if you intend to often use it with the top open, get it, but if you think that it will really stay closed, get a relatively quiet coupe.

I noticed that you want to drive children in it. One advantage of the targa over the coupe is the ceiling height in the back. I think the glass roof provides more room with it closed, though less when open. I stuffed my mother-in-law back there once and she fit.

- Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

I think the Targa is the best option Porsche ever offered. You get the open-air of a convertible and the solid stability of the Carrera. I don't understand why people think about resale of car before they even buy? Buy the best and keep it for life. Get the Targa, you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

As a targa owner for almost 2 years, I cannot say enough positive things about it. I think the Targa is the quintessential!

It's way better than a cabriolet, because even when it is closed it still has the open-air effect of the convertible. It's also really cool to watch rain drops fall on the top and gently roll down the back. You can open and close at any speed. And by the way, you can have it open and experience little wind disturbance way way WAY into the triple digits. Mine is open all year round and I only close it when it's pouring down rain. However, if you are going over about 45, you can still drive with it open and not get wet.

I did not realize how much I would use the glasstop feature, and now I can't imagine driving a car without a glass top!

You won't have to concern yourself with resell, as once you buy it, you will never be able to part with it. But, even if you did, the glasstops holds its value. Previous versions of the targa did not, but the glasstops are different.

The rattles are easily fixed with a loud stereo. Mine is just now starting to get some creaks, but I have not tried to fix it either.

Not sure what else I can say except - BUY IT!!! You will not regret it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:39 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I LOVE my Targa. I fell in love at first sight. The other day I looked at a turbo but then I decided that I use the glass top a lot more than I would use the turbos so I stuck with the Targa. Yes it is a little creaky with the top closed but that is not why I bought it. I open the top each and every time I get in the car. Top, windows open, the radio cranked and I am in heaven. To each his own but my Targa will stay where it is. I could go on and on but those are the high points. Buy what you like. You are the one that will have to live with it.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Richard1
Track Day

Dear All, Targa it is. Honestly, I would get the hard top too but I found a good looking Targa. And, I think my kids would like it too. As for resell, I agree...I bought my last car in 1987 and am reluctant to part with it.

One question I do have is does the Targa have a roll bar or is the metal just as a frame for the top?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice; the kids will love it! (voice of experience)

No separate roll bar in the Targa, but as I'm sure you've seen the roof of the car is framed in metal, and the sliding top itself has metal on all sides.

As to safety, this image is a good representation (from Robin's p-car.com site):

Targa roof integrity

-Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not regret it. It's been over two years when I acquired mine, took a year to find it. I love it, my grandkids, 7 and 10, always enjoy riding in the back and impressed with 993 sound.
Now the glass top, I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, you need to keep up with it, meaning constant adjustment if you don't want to hear the rattling and wind noise. I check the adjustment every 3 months.
Enjoy!!, life is too short, I'll be driving my TARGA until I'm 100 years old, that's right, I'll have it fitted with wheel chair, hand accelerator, brakes and of course the clutch. My grandkids said they'll be happy to drive me around when I can't drive anymore.

Regards,
Andrew
96 TARGA blk on blk 6 on the floor
Old 05-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Andrew - I would be interested to know what adjustments you do to the glasstop. Could you post here or point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:40 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Default hmm...

Originally posted by stephenc2s
un-sellable...
judging by the enthusiasm shown here, maybe someone needs to work on a marketing strategy..
Old 05-05-2004, 05:56 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Chris,
Wow.. that pic of the Targa.. got this pain in the center of my chest after looking at that... yikes!

I agree with jago1244.. you tell him!!

Richard,
If you lived in S.Cal, I would personal bring my car to you for you to drive so you can see and feel what a Targa with 77K miles on it feels like..... still heaven!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Richard1
Track Day

Guys, thank you all for your advice and enthusiasm. I have come to terms with the seller and am arranging the PPI, etc....36k miles, excellent condition (he says), in Texas, white, tiptronic. I'll post pictures if the sale happens.

In any case, I am very much looking forward to picking it up and driving it home to DC.

By the way, I am buying this car without actually having ever driven a 993....just sat in one for a long, long time at the Porsche dealership. I used to own a 944 turbo and I cannot imagine that I wont like a 993. Again, thank you all.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 PM
touf
Pro

I got my Targa a few months ago. Can't stop from driving it with the top open and it is true that it is a bit noisy but I don't mind it.
Take care

Quick Reply: Opinion of 993 Targa in White.