Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinion of 993 Targa in White.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Richard1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of 993 Targa in White.

Has anyone here seen the Targa top in white and if so, what did you think of how it looked?

Also, I've heard the Targa tops can be noisy....maybe not so much as the covertible, but noisy nontheless. Targa owners, please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:11 PM
stephenc2s
Banned

un-sellable...
Old 05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the 993 is beautiful in white; I saw a white 993 cab last night on Route 3 in Boston that was gorgeous. It has the added advantage of not showing rock chips on the nose, because the primer is white, too. I would've bought a white 993 if I could've found one with a cashmere interior.

Vic
95 C2 (black/cashmere)
Old 05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Richard1
Track Day

Stephen, why do you say un-sellable? Does the targa top ruin the lines of the car?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
lexpilot
Racer

If you go with white, you do need to keep it clean and waxed just like a darker color. White can be great but only if it is perfect. Other colors can actually be more forgiving relative to road tar, bugs, etc.
The good news is that you won't have to contend with "spider webs" like on a black car.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
stephenc2s
Banned

From our experience (not my opinion) 993 Targas always sit for a long time. Don't get me wrong, there's ppl out there who do want them. I personally think 993's look great in white, but the buying public (in the NE) doesn't seem to agree with me.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Richard1
Track Day

I would rather have gray or blue but I found a white targa 96 in good condition, tiptronic (which is important as this will be a commuter car for me). I would likely not resell for a long, long time...thought the kids could like riding in a targa top.

How bad is the rattling from the targa?

Thank you all for the advice...i'm new to the 993.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:20 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

When I was buying my Targa at an auction, it was more popular than the convertible top 993's. So, I guess my experience is different than Stephen's...perhaps it's by region since I got mine in Houston, TX. I have yet to see a white Targa but I have seen other lighter colors and the glass top really stand out nicely.

Vic is right with the paint chips.. my Targa is still in the shop getting resprayed.

There is some wind noise as the little rivets and misc parts of the Targa get worn. But I found some great threads on here and some of the great Rennlisters fax me simple fixes for these!

Richard, as far as the lines.. I personally (IMHO) think I like it better... but then I own one. =)

Enjoy!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Richard1
Track Day

Found a pic of targa in white.

http://autotrader.com/findacar/image...or=WHITE&#main
Old 05-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I started out wanting a targa but got discouraged after test driving two and finding the wind noise and rattles to be pretty pronounced, IMHO.

A sample of two is hardly conclusive, but I would be sure to take a long test drive in a targa, on varying roads and and at varying speeds, before buying one.

Re "ruining the lines," although my first choice is the coupe, I personally think the targa looks beautiful, and but for the issues I mentioned I would have bought one.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:40 PM
hddude
Racer

Default White cars in balmy London.

It amazes me how many people make blanket statements about the marketability of white cars when it seems obvious that climate is a huge factor in their popularity. Any white car is popular in Phoenix, perhaps not in Grand Forks.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

That white targa looks reallllly nice! I'd get it. Just be sure to get a PPI and a very long test drive in it before you decide. What's the interior color? They look great with a black interior in my opinion, but probably more rare. I'd think blue would be more common for an interior.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

I looked for a white targa when I got my 95/993 and didn't find one close enough in location and price. The new Meguiar's NXT wax and touchup wax has made my white look better than it ever has before and I've tried most everything at one point or another. After Rennsport II, I'm still lusting a white targa.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed not too many Targa owners have responded, so I'll chime in. I love the Targa, and have never regretted buying it. I drive it every day, and have the top back as often as possible, except during the middle of the summer when it's 99 and scorching sun. I bought my Targa 2 years ago last month and have put 30k miles on it since.

Sure there's a bit of wind noise at the top, even when adjusted properly (which isn't hard to do, btw). But remember the Targa top is two layers of glass with no headliner to help muffle the sound.

Personally, I like the open air feeling without having to worry about a soft top, as well as the relative rarity of the car. As to a white exterior, I'm not a big fan, but different strokes for different folks. It's a 993, and you can't go wrong if you take your time and find the car you like.

Search the archives for other posts on the Targa and you'll find lots of info to help in your search.

-Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 08:16 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

The targa does have some wind noise, which as already has been mentioned, can be greatly reduced.

But to me, a Targa can't be beat.
When closed the all glass top gives you an incredible green house effect.. I love it, it feels so open even though the top is closed!
And with the targa open you get almost all of the benefits of a cab without the cab's drawbacks.

Targa! Targa! Targa!

PS
I remember seeing a white 993 Targa near my house in California which looked very good, for a white car (white isn't my favorite)

Quick Reply: Opinion of 993 Targa in White.