Sponsored by: DashLynx

Golden rod - Do not use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 01:42 PM
ruddster84
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Golden rod - Do not use?

I just spent the last 1.5 years rebuilding motor and suspension, as well as other bits and bobs including FD SSK and golden rod. Finally back to the track and 3 laps and I lost gears and 3 and 4 . So time for a re-gear I suppose. In talking with a well known transmission shop here in Colorado, it was mentioned to stay away from solid shift linkages, as too much force can be applied while changing gears and can essentially starve the thrust bearings of oil. This mechanic has said he has seen quite a few G50s over the years where it was apparent the oil was burnt up in these locations. He said rubber in the stock shifter prevents enough load from being transferred.

I AM NOT saying this was cause of my failure (still haven't pulled the tranny to find out as I'm mourning), but curious if others have heard this before? I think I can simply not hulk it when I shift and be ok as long as I am aware it could cause issues if I shift too hard...

Last edited by ruddster84; 09-21-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

I'm not sure this is totally true, but my car came with a Golden Rod and short shift. I took it out as it kept popping out of 2nd gear when I'd downshift and coast in gear. I had heard about this oil thing and since I don't race, i took it out to be safe. I hope others will weigh in on this. it's a very popular mod and some more color on it would be great.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Hummmmm… not sure I ever heard that…well guessing that well known shop in CO is G-Box and actually who my mechanic and I worked with when building out my transmission to RSR Specs. Don’t remember that coming up in topic. I have the short shift and Golden Rod with zero issues … not once has it popped out in second gear or any gear for that matter…it’s been 3 years now since my rebuild.

Last edited by Gbos1; 09-21-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:40 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Isn't the Golden Rod a replica of the RS rod?
Old 09-21-2022, 06:29 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Important thread - a lot of us use GR.

It must be very popular because many vendors sell this mod, not just FD Motorsports.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:41 PM
ruddster84
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Hummmmm… not sure I ever heard that…well guessing that well known shop in CO is G-Box and actually who my mechanic and I worked with when building out my transmission to RSR Specs. Don’t remember that coming up in topic. I have the short shift and Golden Rod with zero issues … not once has it popped out in second gear or any gear for that matter…it’s been 3 years now since my rebuild.
Yup, he mentioned to stay away from it but if I kept it to just shift "with two fingers," i.e. don't mash it into gear. The shift feel is great, so I'd prefer to keep it

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
Isn't the Golden Rod a replica of the RS rod?
Correct

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I'm not sure this is totally true, but my car came with a Golden Rod and short shift. I took it out as it kept popping out of 2nd gear when I'd downshift and coast in gear. I had heard about this oil thing and since I don't race, i took it out to be safe. I hope others will weigh in on this. it's a very popular mod and some more color on it would be great.
Did it stop kicking out of gear after going back to stock? The SSK is adjustable, so that could have been part of the issue. Mine was not popping out of gear, but occasionally it would jump out of second and sometimes third when I went to shift. I believe that is the shift sleeve beginning to go, so not necessarily related.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:45 PM
ruddster84
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crw
Important thread - a lot of us use GR.

It must be very popular because many vendors sell this mod, not just FD Motorsports.
I agree, it was highly recommended by Steve Weiner to me. Figured this would be a good thing to note especially for those of us that track. I'm thinking slow right hander where your body could be moving away from the shifter as you downshift to second and you may be using the shifter unknowingly to support yourself...
Old 09-21-2022, 07:04 PM
caffeineninja
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I think this is more about track day + G50 than Goldenrod + G50.

The 3rd and 4th gear synchros are prone to issues while shifting fast, especially when the transmission oil is hotter because of track conditions. I'm guessing you had some grinding going into 3rd?
Old 09-21-2022, 08:07 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts

I have been using FDM golden rod and short shift kit for about 7 years. I have never experienced any “popping out of gear” or transmission issues. Having said that I do not track my car so I do not do any hard shifting, clutching and braking that is done when racing.

There are many cars using the FDM SSK and GR with full confidence so I hope the mechanic that suggested the equipment is possibly the cause of the transmission failure continues with his rebuild to provide an more detailed and justified opinion.

Racing in it of itself places any car in extreme conditions specifically shifting, clutching and braking.

So without trying to start any argument I’m just a little disappointed that a blanket statement about a particular product being responsible and that we “should stay away from it” because one mechanic says so makes me have to post on this thread.

Obviously, I’m a fan of FDM and I’m sure I speak for others.

Respectfully RRC.

Last edited by rrc715; 09-21-2022 at 09:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911BOSS (09-22-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:31 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 490 Posts

The only time I have ever experienced popping out of gear was when the forward shift rod cups were worn and needed replacement. I can't see how the GR can cause this given it's identical to the RS rod. Additionally, the 1cm thick rubber washer/spacer isn't doing anything to disallow additional torque on the shaft. If anything it's there to reduce NVH through the linkage. I'm not buying this and attribute it more to racing in general.
Gbos1 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Grabbing the popcorn and beer for this one
The following 2 users liked this post by Cactus:
Enso (09-22-2022), gonzilla (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 10:25 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

The SSk and GoldenRod are replica pieces remanufactured based on factory RS and RSR shifter design , if added vibration and lowered oil levels
were a possibility when in use I doubt the factory would utilize in race application where durability is key ..
In other words I call BS , sorry ... Bert
Gbos1 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:33 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ruddster84
Yup, he mentioned to stay away from it but if I kept it to just shift "with two fingers," i.e. don't mash it into gear. The shift feel is great, so I'd prefer to keep it

Correct

Did it stop kicking out of gear after going back to stock? The SSK is adjustable, so that could have been part of the issue. Mine was not popping out of gear, but occasionally it would jump out of second and sometimes third when I went to shift. I believe that is the shift sleeve beginning to go, so not necessarily related.
YES- and I was brand new to this car when the issue happened. I may have waited on selling, but there was a guy in the PCA club that wanted one, and I wasn't having great luck with it so there you go.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:04 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost 15 years with my goldenrod and SSK. Only extremely satisfying driving experience.

993 stock shifting performance is absolutely garbage.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:25 AM
The993Purist
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a purist, I would not use as it would take away from the stock shifting performance.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: Golden rod - Do not use?