Sponsored by: DashLynx

PCCM Classic = Doesn't Think Car is Stationary

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 02:19 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PCCM Classic = Doesn't Think Car is Stationary

(Cross-posting from the A/V forum after no replies there after a few months. Looking for any tips!)

Looking for advice before I find a shop that actually knows what they are doing.

Had the PCCM Classic installed in my Hi-Fi optioned 993 Targa I picked up in LA and drove back to NYC at the end of July. Had it done the day I picked it up so I’d have proper audio for the following 45 hours of wheel time.

Realized when I got to a gas station in Nevada (in July) that the car, even when off for a few minutes, consistently thinks the car is moving and displays the “some functions are only available when the car is stationary”, no matter what. This prevents me from opening the Settings menu, although CarPlay works (as CarPlay is basically a screencast).

- I’m aware this is a common bug with earlier PCCM Plus units, but have never seen someone report this for a PCCM Classic. Suncoast, who I bought it from, said they’d only ever had reports for the Plus.
- Car had a 1998-era radar detector that was removed when the shop installed the PCCM. It was spliced into the harness and I suspect is playing a role here.
- Car has since had a new battery, and I've disconnected it to validate (no change)
- I’ve inspected the connections and they seem well seated
- The rear spoiler goes up and down as expected, and so I assume the speed sensor isn’t interfering/faulty.

Any options I haven’t considered other than fully removing the unit / finding a shop that has done PCCM installs here in NY/NJ/CT - ? Any connections I should check for voltage? Fuses?

Last edited by silverlock; 11-19-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:56 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a timer inbuilt I think that can be adjusted for how long it stays on when powered off, in settings. Maybe worth a try.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:37 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
There is a timer inbuilt I think that can be adjusted for how long it stays on when powered off, in settings. Maybe worth a try.
Can’t open the settings menu because it doesn’t think the car is stationary.

I can use CarPlay but that’s about it.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:15 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

pull the fuse and reboot the unit and see if you can get to the settings.
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
bobbyp (11-19-2022), silverlock (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 10:32 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
pull the fuse and reboot the unit and see if you can get to the settings.

No obvious luck. Pulled the (black) power lead, the fuse, let it sit for a few mins after dropping the fuse on the floor, and put it all back together.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

This is why this unit is junk
Old 11-20-2022, 10:23 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe it wasn't installed correctly. I have the latest PCCM and it works fine.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:35 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

You've probably tried this already but have you tried to access the settings screen somewhere that GPS isn't available like in an underground parking garage?
Old 11-20-2022, 05:08 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbyp
You've probably tried this already but have you tried to access the settings screen somewhere that GPS isn't available like in an underground parking garage?
Yes (also that’s where the car is parked). I unplugged the GPS, since it is optional (only for built-in maps) to no avail.

I did, however, fix this an hour ago: with the wiring diagram for the PCCM in hand I checked every connection and noticed the microphone was not in the correct port. The port it was plugged into was unlabeled (of course) but connecting it to the correct pins resolved it. I assume it was creating either a short or otherwise confusing the PCCM software.

Working with what never seems like enough cable and trying to not scratch up the leather on your dash (a balaclava wrapped around the unit works wonders) is something I hope to never do again.
The following users liked this post:
bobbyp (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:37 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue, but with a PCCM Plus. In another thread, someone said the problem just went away but they didn't know why. I guess I can try disassembling the install and checking the connections again ... maybe I have the wrong port for my microphone connector, too.

LATER: OMG, that was it. I had the 4-pin microphone plug in the wrong spot. Moved it, and everything is working as intended. Thanks for your post!

Last edited by Mike Blaszczak; 11-21-2022 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:01 PM
silverlock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Blaszczak

LATER: OMG, that was it. I had the 4-pin microphone plug in the wrong spot. Moved it, and everything is working as intended. Thanks for your post!
This is why we post! :-)

For others who discover this in the future: the microphone connector fits into the two adjacent plugs. If you're looking at the back of the unit, the correct connector is the left-most white block.

Attached an image. The manual shows the correct jack (annotated in green) vs. the wrong ones (annotated in red). The wrong ones are undocumented.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by silverlock:
bobbyp (11-21-2022), jwong1977 (11-22-2022), Mike Blaszczak (11-21-2022)

Quick Reply: PCCM Classic = Doesn't Think Car is Stationary