Sponsored by: DashLynx

SF Bay Area Tire Install/Alignment Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 03:10 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SF Bay Area Tire Install/Alignment Recommendations

It's been ages since I've posted on the forum but I still own my '95 993 and its due for tires and an alignment.

I've used Roger Kraus Racing in the past but I was hoping to use someone a bit closer to my home in the South Bay. My last experience with Custom Alignment wasn't the greatest so I'm looking for a good alternative.

BR Racing is very close to me but I've never used them and don't know anyone who has. Does anyone have any recent experience with them for a tire install and alignment? Any other good places I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:14 PM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

As far as a shop in the South Bay you have only two choices, BR Racing is a good shop with tire and alignment services, also BTM is Tire Rack preferred installer, however not sure about either shop and their knowledge of the rear KT alignment on a 993. Custom Alignment didn't do a good job on either of my cars, said the 993 was good, but the rear KT was off so wore out the rear tires really quick.
Brandon/Chris at Roger Krause or even further away is Darin at FD, both really know 993s. They need the KT gauge that bolts on to make sure it is right.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:25 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 228 Posts

Skips tires in Los Altos did my tires recently. Great shop and service. They are downtown, across from Draegers.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:40 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
As far as a shop in the South Bay you have only two choices, BR Racing is a good shop with tire and alignment services, also BTM is Tire Rack preferred installer, however not sure about either shop and their knowledge of the rear KT alignment on a 993. Custom Alignment didn't do a good job on either of my cars, said the 993 was good, but the rear KT was off so wore out the rear tires really quick.
Brandon/Chris at Roger Krause or even further away is Darin at FD, both really know 993s. They need the KT gauge that bolts on to make sure it is right.
I was definitely not enamored with Custom Alignment the last time I used them.

I might give BR Racing a go, they seem to have a pretty good reputation amongst Porsche owners and do a lot of work with the PCA GGR. And they're about 3 minutes from my house I will definitely ask about the KT gauge, thanks for pointing that out.
The following users liked this post:
JSF (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:10 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
Darin doesn't do alignments or at least he didnt do them a few years ago when he installed my suspension.

I'm curious what the issues have been with Custom Alignment? They have been my go to alignment shop since Borelli Motorsports closed down.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:05 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pirahna
I'm curious what the issues have been with Custom Alignment? They have been my go to alignment shop since Borelli Motorsports closed down.
I used Dave Graff at Borelli in the past too.

There was nothing wrong with the actual work that CA did on my car but, in my opinion and that of my mechanic, they were trying to upsell me for work that my car didn't need. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:36 PM
Andrew B
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logan2z

There was nothing wrong with the actual work that CA did on my car but, in my opinion and that of my mechanic, they were trying to upsell me for work that my car didn't need. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a fantastic experience with custom alignment after two previous shops didnt get it right. The attention to detail was something I hadnt seen before.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 232 Posts

Dave Graff did my 1st alignment after I installed PSS10s. He set a very high bar. BTW he didn’t use a KT tool, he raised each wheel individually and measured change in toe and balanced it that way. I can confirm it works!
Borelli is long gone but Custom Alignment did Another great alignment for me as did BRRacing. We are spoilt for 993 talent in the Bay Area
Old 12-21-2022, 12:18 AM
3point2
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

I just had tires mounted and balanced at Trackspec in Fremont. Jon and Victoria are good people and seem to run a nice shop there.

I also have the car being aligned there this week with the kinematic tool.

Jon mentioned they specialize in Lotus, BMW, and Porsche.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:11 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z

Dave was great, definitely a loss when he retired.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:59 PM
3point2
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my alignment done by Jon and crew at Trackspec in Fremont. It was $320 with the kinematic tool.

BR was another option (higher price) but Trackspec was closer to me.

The car wasn't too far off to begin with but glad to know I have a baseline now.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Tire Install/Alignment Recommendations