Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible top not retracting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 02:10 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The top will not latch back if the latch motors aren't touching the frame. Push down on the top a small amount while pushing the switch.
The following users liked this post:
flyweight (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 02:38 PM
flyweight
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Update: the top manually lowered down with the #19 bolts loosened by 2.5 circles. Checked parking brake contacts. Looks fine. Please see the attached pictures.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:49 PM
flyweight
Instructor

Actually never mind! The latches are working now! I think maybe my tinkering with the e-brake helped. Even the back motor makes sounds when I pressed button beyond the 2-3 seconds needed to unlatch. I'll keep it manual from now on.

You guys rock!!!
Old 02-03-2023, 03:26 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 286 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by flyweight
Update: the top manually lowered down with the #19 bolts loosened by 2.5 circles. Checked parking brake contacts. Looks fine. Please see the attached pictures.

If your e brake light comes on when you pull the e brake handle it’s working
flyweight (02-03-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:38 AM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, it looks like the switch is making contact.

When you put the top up manually and press the close button, what happens? Do you hear the motors moving?
flyweight (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:57 AM
flyweight
Instructor

Originally Posted by PNW993
Yeah, it looks like the switch is making contact.

When you put the top up manually and press the close button, what happens? Do you hear the motors moving?
Yes, the latch switches are able to move and latch it in place. The only thing not working is the auto retract-to-fold part which was mitigated by going manual for now.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:34 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Congratulations on getting a 993 cab. IMHO, they are the best. I am on my second cab and switched the top to manual as soon as I got it. The auto tops can be a PITA to keep adjusted and operating correctly. There are some on the board that are mechanically talented and can keep them adjusted correctly others that pay the big bucks to have shop do it. The 993 Targa tops offer their own challenges a step above our tops.

Enjoy your 993, keep the top down, and post some photos. We love photos.

Welcome to the madness.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck W.:
abiazis (02-04-2023), flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 02:10 PM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

I agree with Chuck, keeping it a manual is a lot easier than trying to deal with the problems that come with a automatic top. I haven’t thought about switching it back since I converted it to manual.
Enjoy your Cab, they are fantastic!
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW993:
abiazis (02-04-2023), flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 02:57 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

My convertible top works electrically as it did when I took delivery. The trick is two trades, both better be experienced with Porsche, both better be good.. The first trade is the upholsterer. This trade installs the new headliner, canvas top and new elastic straps. The second trade handles the mechanical and electrical phase. This person installs new cables, synchronizes the transmission and adjusts the switches as may be required. Sometimes you may find an upholsterer who may install both cables, but my preference is to keep the mechanical separate from the upholsterer.
Finding both trades can be challenging, but if they instill confidence in their work, it is worth the price.
As Chuck wrote, finding both to work in tandem is costly. Converting your top to operate manually is also fine, but not for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twilightblue28A:
1998Porsche (02-21-2023), abiazis (02-04-2023), flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 03:00 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Congratulations on getting a 993 cab. IMHO, they are the best. I am on my second cab and switched the top to manual as soon as I got it. The auto tops can be a PITA to keep adjusted and operating correctly. There are some on the board that are mechanically talented and can keep them adjusted correctly others that pay the big bucks to have shop do it. The 993 Targa tops offer their own challenges a step above our tops.

Enjoy your 993, keep the top down, and post some photos. We love photos.

Welcome to the madness.
Actually, once the Cab Top ECU is repaired/updated and the top mechanism is properly adjusted, the system is very reliable.
http://www.systemsc.com/

flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:46 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
My convertible top works electrically as it did when I took delivery. The trick is two trades, both better be experienced with Porsche, both better be good.. The first trade is the upholsterer. This trade installs the new headliner, canvas top and new elastic straps. The second trade handles the mechanical and electrical phase. This person installs new cables, synchronizes the transmission and adjusts the switches as may be required. Sometimes you may find an upholsterer who may install both cables, but my preference is to keep the mechanical separate from the upholsterer.
Finding both trades can be challenging, but if they instill confidence in their work, it is worth the price.
As Chuck wrote, finding both to work in tandem is costly. Converting your top to operate manually is also fine, but not for me.
I am of the same inclination to keep it stock operating automatically, but it has been a challenge for sure over the years and my most expensive maintenance item by far. I have spent about $9K on the top over 24 years to keep it going as new. When I bought the car used, at 4 years, it had the usual pin holes on both sides of the canvas top, that I patched from the inside with matching canvas and that helped get 17 years out of it.

I have had 4 latch motors replaced (rebuilt) after the recall on the originals decades ago. My first top lasted 17 years, as mentioned, so that was a positive by using Scotchguard as a protectant and cleaning only when needed. I am still on original headliner and wind deflector, but replaced elastic bands for the top once with a new top and they are still great on flipping the canvas material back out of the way of the pins when opening the top.

I had the bad fortune of the rear cross brace for the top break, which was costly at $2K, but had a shop deal with that in a rebuild as new brace was $5K at the time in 2014.

Presently I have my warning light indicate my top is not closed, when it is, and I suspect the internal microswitch in the right side latch motor is not contacting all the way, but I can live with it for now......my rear top motors are original, and a bit noisy. I have had my top cables replaced 15 years ago.

During my last new top installation, my top guy shortened the top cables, which has made the top operate more efficiency without getting it out of sync, or uneven, etc.....note: I always open and lower top on level surface to prevent uneven opening......

Many times over the years, I have had to manually open and close the latch motors, with a small power screwdriver, to get the system to completely re-sync when i.e. the top did not go down all the way or latches were not seating properly....

Thank goodness the new 911s don't have this really poor design......I suspect I will be going manual someday, but not yet!
flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 05:01 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by abiazis
I am of the same inclination to keep it stock operating automatically, but it has been a challenge for sure over the years and my most expensive maintenance item by far. I have spent about $9K on the top over 24 years to keep it going as new. When I bought the car used, at 4 years, it had the usual pin holes on both sides of the canvas top, that I patched from the inside with matching canvas and that helped get 17 years out of it.

I have had 4 latch motors replaced (rebuilt) after the recall on the originals decades ago. My first top lasted 17 years, as mentioned, so that was a positive by using Scotchguard as a protectant and cleaning only when needed. I am still on original headliner and wind deflector, but replaced elastic bands for the top once with a new top and they are still great on flipping the canvas material back out of the way of the pins when opening the top.

I had the bad fortune of the rear cross brace for the top break, which was costly at $2K, but had a shop deal with that in a rebuild as new brace was $5K at the time in 2014.

Presently I have my warning light indicate my top is not closed, when it is, and I suspect the internal microswitch in the right side latch motor is not contacting all the way, but I can live with it for now......my rear top motors are original, and a bit noisy. I have had my top cables replaced 15 years ago.

During my last new top installation, my top guy shortened the top cables, which has made the top operate more efficiency without getting it out of sync, or uneven, etc.....note: I always open and lower top on level surface to prevent uneven opening......

Many times over the years, I have had to manually open and close the latch motors, with a small power screwdriver, to get the system to completely re-sync when i.e. the top did not go down all the way or latches were not seating properly....

Thank goodness the new 911s don't have this really poor design......I suspect I will be going manual someday, but not yet!
Really, have you seen or troubleshot the later Porsches cab top systems, e.g. 996/997, 991? If not, you're lucky. The early Porsche cab top system (911/964/993) is simple compared to the later systems.
The cover of the early ECUs have a basic description printed on the cover as an aid to troubleshooting;

Last edited by systemsc; 02-04-2023 at 05:11 PM.
flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by systemsc
Really, have you seen or troubleshot the later Porsches cab top systems, e.g. 996/997, 991? If not, you're lucky. The early Porsche cab top system (911/964/993) is simple compared to the later systems.
The cover of the early ECUs have a basic description printed on the cover as an aid to troubleshooting;

I think all the mechanisms with the old style cables, latches, elastic straps, motors, etc.. make the older systems actually more complex, sensitive, as far as adjustments, or complete failures, etc....versus more of a plug and play replacement repair for the newer top mechanisms i.e. diagnosed with OBD 2 readers, etc.........the new systems are definitely improved and seem simplified relatively speaking.......we do know the new systems are also faster in operation and can operate while car is in motion..........I do have my experiences with only one 991 convertible and that system never failed operation........
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
Chuck W. (02-05-2023), flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:59 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by abiazis
I think all the mechanisms with the old style cables, latches, elastic straps, motors, etc.. make the older systems actually more complex, sensitive, as far as adjustments, or complete failures, etc....versus more of a plug and play replacement repair for the newer top mechanisms i.e. diagnosed with OBD 2 readers, etc.........the new systems are definitely improved and seem simplified relatively speaking.......we do know the new systems are also faster in operation and can operate while car is in motion..........I do have my experiences with only one 991 convertible and that system never failed operation........
Time will tell!
flyweight (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 10:52 PM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

I applaud you all for maintaining the automatic top; it sounds expensive; but I appreciate the spirit of keeping the car in the original stock configuration.
The reason I went manual is I had a 97 Boxster and had so many problems with the top. It was in the shop more than I actually had the car. I just didn’t want a similar situation with the 993.
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW993:
abiazis (02-05-2023), flyweight (02-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Convertible top not retracting