Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Wife and the Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's 1 funny story about my wife driving my car.

She does fine if there are no other cars around, but when a car pulls up behind her, I can see the sweat start to drip down her forehead.

We were on our way to languna seca and I asked if she wanted to drive to the track. We got to a stop sign on a slight incline and a taxi cab pulled up behind her. OH NO....

Well, she panicked, and when she started to go, she fumbled with the clutch. So she decided to gun the car. My car has over 400 hp, so we are now doing a 4 wheel drift. Fortunately, she let off the throttle a bit and the car caught again. I had the death grip on the door handle. Now that we look back at it, we just laugh.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TT was Karen's idea in the first place! She does just fine.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Richard1
Track Day

You guys have no idea how lucky you are...I haven't even purchased my Porsche yet and it's already cost me a new kitchen and an addition to the house...letting her drive it would have been far cheaper.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:43 PM
James Shunt
Intermediate

This thread has been even more entertaining than that Cat Enema one! I couldn't put my girlfriend on the 993 insurance as she's under 30, and I admit I was relieved. She's a great passenger and not an enthusiastic driver. On my sixth day of 993 ownership, we went to the south coast in it and I insisted she had a drive in a car park. She took a deep breath, almost stalled it, then rolled gently across the car park at about 10mph. She was very gentle with the accelerator. I encouraged her to "give it some". She did. She got scared. She was not very gentle with the brakes, almost sent us through the windscreen and decided she didn't want to drive it any more.

Now she says she'll never drive it because she doesn't like that much power and she's sure that I'll cry if she crashes it.

She's right!

James
Old 05-13-2004, 12:49 PM
ingo777
Instructor

Well back in Germany my girlfriend had my car on a regular basis and she handled it very well, I didnt want her to hit the Autobahn in her Mini Cooper... I often joined her on trips, slept very well... And you should have seen that smile in her face while she was chasing BMW´s....
Old 05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife is also a "keeper". She bought me all the stuff I needed to club race several years ago for Christmas, and used to do auto-x's with me (b-4 kids). I'm working on her (gently) to do a DE in her Mini. She can obviously handle a clutch, as she drives one every day, but never wants to drive the 993. I would say she is afraid, but now that I think about it, she NEVER wants to drive whenever I am going to be a passenger - maybe I need to work on not telling her what lane to be in/where to turn/where to park/how fast to drive/what gear to be in......
Old 05-13-2004, 01:14 PM
FastMaz
Instructor

My fiance has an M3 with a 5 speed. I have tried to get her to DE with either her car or mine, but for some reason she won't go (intimidated?). She drives well (not too much engine lugging), but like all of us could use some track time to hone her driving skills.

I wouldn't instruct her on the track (would not work).

We raced sailboats together (Boston) and that didn't work either.

She can drive my C4S anytime she wants (not often), but I can't handle being a passenger.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:31 PM
winsome
Instructor

My 94Euro 993 was a tiptronic to begin with but after some thought I have converted it into a manuel.....Don't ask me why....pls figure it out youself.......:-o
Old 05-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

i love having my wife drive the car - it helps justify spending the money when i upgraded the old 81 911SC.

she's an excellent driver - always driven stick-shift before we moved to the US, so is easy on the mechanics. BUT i do have the same issue as many - she won't let the engine rev!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:46 PM
H. Miller
Racer

My wife will drive it in a pinch but it makes her nervous and she doesn't like all the attention. She isn't interested in DE (Ladies Day DE coming up in June).
However, speaking of women, my 19 year old daughter loves to drive it and did well at Ladies Day last year and plans to drive again this year at Second Creek (makes a father proud).
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 622 Posts

My Wife's brother is a professional SuperBike racer ( has ridden for every factory team) She is faster than ME!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:49 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife learn how to drive stick when she was just 13, just like our daughter, so, talking about being careful and easy on clutch, she's a wonderful driver. One time she took the car to the nursery with our granddaughter came back with a very large plant sitting in the back with the granddaughter, that's right the tree was sticking out from the Targa's roof. No worries at all.

Andrew
96 TARGA blk on blk 6 on the floor
Old 05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

FastMaz

That's not your wife in your avatar is it?

My wife (soon to be ex) would drive the 993 tip I had but would not drive any of the 3 or so other 911's I've owned. I did not encourage her too either.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wives

I'm lucky. My wife learned to drive in ND with an old ford, three on the tree when she was 14. No power steering nad it was a full size car. She had a 75 Celica she drove for for 13 years. Just replaced oil and tires over 100 k miles. She has automatics since then, but I let her drive any of my cars, BMW 2002, any of my 11 Porsches, my Volvo P1800, etc. She drove my 88 turbo cab, and said this is just like my Toyota (yea right). She doen't get on it, but drives well and tries not to lug. She just never gets onto boost. She gets to drive my current car this Saturday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife learned to drive a manual transmission many years ago and we have had at least 1 manual transmission car for the last 20 years. She not only drives the car, but she did a 2 day autocross school with me and has driven in a DE. She doesn't much care for DE but still likes to autocross.

Quick Reply: The Wife and the Porsche...