Blaupunkt Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 01:27 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Blaupunkt Frankfurt

Hey everyone,

Just ordered a new headunit, Blaupunkt Frankfurt, for the 993. Its the new version of the blaupunkt Bremen. Anyone have this unit in their 993 yet? If so, thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Derek
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-16-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 06:02 AM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Anyone have this unit in their 993 yet? If so, thoughts?
Good timing, I just installed mine over Easter weekend! So, early days for me. Here it is installed:

View this post on Instagram

The Frankfurt RCM 82 DAB is a slight update to the Bremen SQR 46 DAB, for which there is a long running thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...qr-46-dab.html

Key differences per my understanding:
  • The Frankfurt introduces later Bluetooth version support (I am not sure which version, but it's 5.x) over the Bremen
  • The Frankfurt is able to to play FLAC natively, the Bremen cannot
  • The Bremen supports the older 30-pin Apple devices, the Frankfurt does not
  • They are pretty much the same apart from aesthetics!
Initial impressions:
  • Feature rich, and does everything you'd expect from a modern single-DIN unit
  • Bluetooth works great, my typical use-case is Google Maps + TuneIn playing on the iPhone, and these play, via BT, through the headunit and car speakers just fine
  • DAB doesn't interest me so much so didn't bother with the DAB aerial for now.
  • Whilst the unit is supplied with a dedicated mic, there is also a mic on the front of the headunit itself (see above/left of the volume ****) and is supposed to be good enough for conversations. I am yet to test this and will decide on plugging in the mic after seeing how it goes.
  • The biggest let down (so far) is build quality. FYI I have had a Becker Grand Prix for the last 9 years. The Frankfurt is definitely a 'Made in China' product, whereas the Becker felt like a 'Made in Germany' product. The Frankfurt's buttons feel really cheap, hollow, 'plastiky' and clicky. The press of a button on the Becker vs Blaupunkt is what I think closing a door on a Porsche 993 and a VW Up would compare like - - the Becker just oozes quality from a 'tactility' perspective.

As I say, early days, so eager to see how others get on with theirs. Do post back with your thoughts once installed .
The following 3 users liked this post by ch3tman:
M. Schneider (10-16-2023), pp000830 (11-09-2023), racemor (04-20-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 07:05 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Installed one last week. I had to open a dialogue with Blaupunkt Customer Support as I could not get it to work with my iPod Classic. They were very responsive and, at first, puzzled because all their advertising clearly states iPod support via USB. In the end they found the Frankfurt uses the latest Apple chip which only supports iPod's with a Lightning connector and not the older 30 pin connector. This means any iPod produced before about 2012 will not work and the only ones that are compatible are the iPod Touch 5th, 6th and 7th Gen. No big deal other than a shame to bin a still functioning device. I bought a s/h 5th Gen 32Gb off ebay for $40 and that works seamlessly. Everything else works nicely and the sound is very good; the latest chips support FLAC music files and Bluetooth 5 LE. Like Chet I did not bother with the remote mic or fitting a DAB antenna. As regards the buttons they seem perfectly acceptable to me given you rarely need to touch them other than the volume control which does not waggle like the Bremen.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:57 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

https://blaupunkt.com/product/frankfurt-rcm-82-dab/
Old 04-13-2023, 11:13 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

One small foible I have yet to get to the bottom of is the rear USB/iPod connector does not provide a charge current when the ignition is off. My previous Alpine head unit did which meant the iPod was always fully charged and ready to play. The radio does allow playback when the ignition is off but it would be good to have the iPod charging whenever I leave the car. I will contact Blaupunkt Customer Support and see what they say.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:39 AM
ch3tman
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Heuerman
One small foible I have yet to get to the bottom of is the rear USB/iPod connector does not provide a charge current when the ignition is off. My previous Alpine head unit did which meant the iPod was always fully charged and ready to play. The radio does allow playback when the ignition is off but it would be good to have the iPod charging whenever I leave the car. I will contact Blaupunkt Customer Support and see what they say.
Incidentally, the behaviour you seek here, is one I'd like to avoid! I'd rather not have anything draw current from the battery whilst the ignition is off. Granted, most of us keep our cars on trickle charge when at home but if out and about, I'd rather the battery is preserved, regardless how little the draw may be...

Please keep us posted on what Blaupunkt Customer Support say Thumbs up.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:58 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ch3tman
As I say, early days, so eager to see how others get on with theirs. Do post back with your thoughts once installed .
Thank you for your reply. Do you have the standard or Hifi stereo in your 993? From what I understand if you have the standard stereo, its plug and play with the factory connectors. Is this correct?
Old 04-13-2023, 12:07 PM
Heuerman
Instructor

Mine is standard stereo and was plug'n play. A plug, B plug and antenna connector (you will need the Blaupunkt supplied adapter). Pin 5 for the antenna amplifier is also already there.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:15 PM
Heuerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Incidentally, the behaviour you seek here, is one I'd like to avoid! I'd rather not have anything draw current from the battery whilst the ignition is off. Granted, most of us keep our cars on trickle charge when at home but if out and about, I'd rather the battery is preserved, regardless how little the draw may be...
My iPod Classic has been left connected to the Alpine head unit since 2008 without causing me concern. I used a long lead beneath the tunnel trim panel to the footwell of the rear seat so I could easily unplug it if necessary. Now it could be that no power was supplied with the ignition off and the iPod remained dormant (no screen on or HDD spinning) and the battery held its charge until the car was next started - never checked the power TBH. With the Frankfurt and iPod Touch I found it completely flat after a few days of the car not being used which suggests the USB may not be supplying power at all. I need to do some checking once I have partially charged the Touch.

UPDATE: Just confirmed both the front and rear USB's only supply power when the head unit is switched on (regardless of the ignition position). If you do switch the head unit on without the ignition it automatically switches off after an hour. Unlike the iPod Classic the Touch has all sorts of connectivity (WiFi, BT, Air Drop, auto update) and a screen that responds to movement so I have just disabled everything to see if that preserves battery life.

I wonder if the front USB can be used to power a phone as it would only need a short lead to the Rennline clock mount?

Last edited by Heuerman; 04-13-2023 at 01:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Heuerman:
ch3tman (04-13-2023), M. Schneider (10-16-2023), pp000830 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:46 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I’ve had my eye on one of these for a couple months. Looks much better in a 993 than the Bremen…or the Continental I have now…thanks for the pics! Will be upgrading audio when I take it out of winter storage.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:56 AM
asj262
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not a huge audiophile, so forgive me. But what makes the Frankfurt better than the Continental other than aesthetics? I like that the Continental connects to my phone every time, sounds fine, and is decent for calls.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:46 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Nothing different of any note, just personal preference/availability.
asj262 (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:12 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Had another play with the Frankfurt and found the front USB has enough power to charge the phone as well as allowing calls or music to be played. Used with the Rennline magnetic holder it makes for a nice clean pairing with a short cable:
Name:  8EJaQgt.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  2.36 MB
The following 3 users liked this post by Heuerman:
M. Schneider (10-16-2023), returnedto911 (09-02-2023), Watson (04-24-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:45 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Awesome!! Cant wait to get mine!!! Has anyone in North America installed one of these yet?
Old 04-14-2023, 12:09 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys are hell on my wallet lol. That Blaupunkt Frankfurt looks Fantastic in the 993, I just can't bring myself to replace my Blaupunkt Toronto which works perfectly fine now that I disassembled the face and hit the volume know with deoxit, damn lol.

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Frankfurt