Short clip. Idle control valve.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 04:44 PM
peter-997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Short clip. Idle control valve.

Hi.
Today I've triggered the idle control valve with my PST tester because I wanted to know how the valve is working.
When I start my cold non-Varioram engine it is non round working (sawing) for a short time.
I've posted this short clip.
Idle control valve.

Does somebody know if the swinging flap is normal?
Old 05-02-2023, 07:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Hi Peter,
Looks normal to me. In regular operation, it continuously moves as a result of pulses from the ECU. The pulses can be felt as vibration as it makes humming/buzzing sounds if it is working correctly.
In test actuation mode it probably receives signal pulses in alternating sequence so the valve is proven to rock back and forth as you see it. Are you having some symptom that prompts you to think the valve is suspect?
The valve has proven to be very durable and generally just needs a cleaning every 30k miles or so and rarely needs to be replaced.
Andy
Old 05-04-2023, 04:12 AM
peter-997
Advanced

Hi Andy.
thank you for your assessment.

I have ordered a NOS valve from a guy who is living in Czech Republik.
When I got the valve I will compare it with the old one.

Last edited by peter-997; 05-04-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:56 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peter-997
Hi Andy.
thank you for your assessment.

I have ordered a NOS valve from a guy who is liveing in Czech Republik.
When I got the valve I will compare it with the old one.
Hi Peter,
Sounds like a plan;
Be sure to seat the electrical plug into it fully. Sometimes the rubber seal in the base of the plug gets dislodged and impairs its full insertion.
Have a great day,
Andy
Old 05-21-2023, 05:17 PM
peter-997
Advanced

This is the difference with a new valve.
NOS valve

It is also a little bit swinging but the sound of klick is more powerful and the movement of the flap in the valve is more tight.

The cold idle revs of the car is better than before.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:20 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Quote from a Pelican DIY. Any truth to the cleaning potentially hurting the valve? And when did these valves get so pricey.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
"While lots of people will tell you that you can simply clean the heck out of the valve with carb clean and reinstall it; this is not a good long term solution. If you clean the valve and it helps fix the problem then you know that the valve is at fault and it should be replaced. Putting a valve that has been soaked in cleaner back into the vehicle may save you a few dollars upfront but the cleaner will eventually eat through to the coil wraps in the valve and lead to failure, and can on occasion lead to an electrical spike getting back to the DME. If cleaning the valve solves the problem that is a good diagnosis that it needs to be replaced."

Old 05-23-2023, 03:30 PM
Marvin the alien
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New Idle control valves are available Ex-Germany for Euro 56.00... Happy to post a link if permitted..
Old 05-23-2023, 05:57 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911F1
Quote from a Pelican DIY. Any truth to the cleaning potentially hurting the valve? And when did these valves get so pricey.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
"While lots of people will tell you that you can simply clean the heck out of the valve with carb clean and reinstall it; this is not a good long term solution. If you clean the valve and it helps fix the problem then you know that the valve is at fault and it should be replaced. Putting a valve that has been soaked in cleaner back into the vehicle may save you a few dollars upfront but the cleaner will eventually eat through to the coil wraps in the valve and lead to failure, and can on occasion lead to an electrical spike getting back to the DME. If cleaning the valve solves the problem that is a good diagnosis that it needs to be replaced."
Hi 911F1,
I have to respectfully disagree, my 993 with well over 100K miles on the odometer, and the original valve has been cleaned five or six times with spray carb and choke cleaner to remove the carbon deposits and allow the rocker butterfly to flop freely. I do agree the valve should not be emersed in solvent as this will probably cause the solvent to work its way into the electromagnet side of the valve and potentially damage the internal insulation.
It continues to work perfectly. If one has a concern about the insulation of the electromagnet's winding one can always use CRC QD spray electronic cleaner or similar that does not attack delicate wiring.
A new valve purchased in a BOSCH box is a $260 part
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...r-robbing.html
Andy
The following users liked this post:
911F1 (05-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Short clip. Idle control valve.