Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine mounts and AC pipe rubbing on engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 09:17 AM
Marvin the alien
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine mounts and AC pipe rubbing on engine cover

Was wondering if anybody has experienced an issue of the AC pipe that passes over the fan housing on a 96 C2 rubbing against the engine cover.
The engine cover rubber stops have been adjusted so as to try and provide as much clearance as possible and are now at the point that it is relatively difficult to latch the engine cover yet there appears to still be a bit of rubbing. I had changed the engine mounts in the last 2 years and am now wondering if the replacement mounts used cause the engine to possibly sit slightly higher than stock thus causing the rubbing. Looking at all the various engine mounts available the ones fitted currently appear to be similar to those used on the Turbo, i.e. do not appear to have the lower large rubber bushing and metal washer that are on the OEM stock mounts.
I'm intending to replace the mounts again to try and address the issue, options being back to the OEM stock mounts or, alternatively, RS style mounts of some form, either OEM or something like the Prekom "stock replacement" variant which I assume have a slightly softer rubber compound.
Would be grateful for any input re variances in height of the various engine mount options and if anybody has had a similar issue.
Thanks in advance,
Marvin
Old 05-25-2023, 10:18 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Hi Marvin,
If the exhaust tips sit high in the bumper cutouts it could be a leading indicator of the engine sitting high.
Can adding washers to the existing mounts resolve your issue?
Andy
Old 05-25-2023, 01:38 PM
Marvin the alien
Track Day

Tips are quite high, having said that they were adjusted when the mounts were changed so can't really say that they are a good indicator in this specific case.
Adding washers above the engine carrier mounting point would help to lower the engine, but seems to be a bit of a bodge to address the apparent problem.
I think my preference would be to change the mounts and do the job properly, just the cost of the Porsche engine mounts seems to be excessively silly these days..
RS or equal, especially if I can get a sensible harness, could be a good middle ground on cost if they are an equivalent dimension to the stock mounts...
Old 05-25-2023, 01:55 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 286 Likes on 164 Posts

Rennline has a $370 kit with 3 different type of mounts included
Old 05-25-2023, 04:35 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvin the alien
Tips are quite high, having said that they were adjusted when the mounts were changed so can't really say that they are a good indicator in this specific case.
Adding washers above the engine carrier mounting point would help to lower the engine, but seems to be a bit of a bodge to address the apparent problem.
I think my preference would be to change the mounts and do the job properly, just the cost of the Porsche engine mounts seems to be excessively silly these days..
RS or equal, especially if I can get a sensible harness, could be a good middle ground on cost if they are an equivalent dimension to the stock mounts...
Hi Marvin,
Pelican Parts has some fluid-filled ones just like the OE for a lot less than the ones in the Porsche box.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...504909HBT.htm?

Andy
Old 05-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Marvin,
Pelican Parts has some fluid-filled ones just like the OE for a lot less than the ones in the Porsche box.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...504909HBT.htm?

Andy
Good price but please do not use Hamburg Technic. It is one of those companies who sound German but source complete crap at lowest bid prices from elsewhere —- just like Uro, Meyle, Trucktec, etc.

https://www.500eboard.co/forums/thre...ity-list.1882/
Old 05-25-2023, 05:28 PM
Marvin the alien
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion. Those Hamburg Technic ones look awfully similar to the ones installed at the moment. As the picture shows they lack the rubber bushing and washer at the bottom that the Porsche stock items have and led me to wonder if they are actually "shorter" causing the engine to sit higher and the interference between the AC pipe and the engine cover. - could they actually be "turbo" mounts being sold as generally suitable for all 993s ?
Prekom have some RS style mounts as a kit in 65 shore hardness (10 less than RS @75) which may be worth a try as an option to OEM.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:49 PM
ruddster84
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the above mentioned Rennline "tuneable" mounts and they are great. Good quality and I can back it off later if I don't want them as stiff.