Old 07-25-2023, 05:17 PM
Christian@PaEuros
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Pa Euros: 993 Headlight upgrade

Hello Rennlist!

Pa Euros is a small enthusiast based European specific sales and service center located in Exton, Pa. We focus on all Euro makes and models but we have a strong focus on late model Porsches (yes, the ones with water in them). Occasionally we get to see and service some 930, 964 and 993 911's.

Recently a customer of ours asked us if we could update the lights on his Speed Yellow 993 C4. His request was he wanted to keep the oem Porsche look and stay away from the real obvious retro kits on the market used by various other Porsche builders. We thought it turned out great and wanted to share. If anyone has any questions comments or feedback please comment below.

If any one is in or around the greater Philadelphia area and would like this done to their 993. Please PM me!

Enjoy!

Parts Used listed below

The Retrofit Source
H410
Splitter: H1M > H1F / 9006F
H20
HD Relay: H1/H3
MM.N.013
H1: XB 5000K HID Bulbs (Pair)
BL11
35w / AMP: Morimoto XB Ballast
RQ160
RQ Hardware: Porsche 993 (Mini H1 7.0)
PR011
Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 (LHD)
The following users liked this post:
rtl5009 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 06:15 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice mod. I pioneered this system about 10 years ago, way before TRS offered a kit.
I obviously installed early version Morimotos but the good thing is that they can handle 55w burners. Big and noticeable difference to 35w.
If I'd do it again today, I would use their led units, brights with GTR led.
I think your customer will be happy.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:20 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

It is for lower beams only or both? Most importantly how much the kit cost?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:09 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
It is for lower beams only or both? Most importantly how much the kit cost?

Thanks.
The replacement Morimoto projector is for 'lower' beam only, but there is a solenoid 'splitter' that is part of the kit - what this does, when the driver selects full beam, is raise up the piece of metal that creates the cut-off of the 'low' beam, and so the HID bulb has no restriction on flooding the projector.

I have these Morimotos, with Tore's HID bulb system, and you don't need the 'full beam' bulbs to do anything - seriously - the unrestricted HID single bulb light is that good.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:19 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...pgrades-3.html

see this thread - a photo of what the driver sees with dipped and full beam in the dark is in post #30 or #31
Old 07-25-2023, 08:12 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The Morimoto Projector is a "BiXenon" system with a high and low beam built into it using a solenoid operated shutter to open up the optics for high beam. To operate the projector's shutter a jumper connection to the stock high beam circuit is required to make the high beam function work.

The stock Projector for low beam does not have a movable shutter and is thus a low beam light only.

So, theoretically the original high beam of the 993 unit is redundant to a Morimoto Projector. .

I have the Morimoto projectors with Tore's HID kit as well as his LED high beam kit and have thought about wiring the system so the LED high beam is operated by a separate switch since it is so bright and using the Morimoto Projector's high beam for routine high beam use.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:49 PM
rdad993
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

This is great! One question, what is the effect on oncoming drivers? We don't need to blind the opposing traffic, just thinking out loud about some of the systems I have seen lately coming from the other direction.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:51 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by rdad993
This is great! One question, what is the effect on oncoming drivers? We don't need to blind the opposing traffic, just thinking out loud about some of the systems I have seen lately coming from the other direction.
The cutoff shutter is wired to the high beam light so it will only open the aperture when the high beams are on. While the shutter is closed, the the light functions like a normal low beam. No blinding.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:48 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The beautiful yellow car does not have a build sheet.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The Morimoto Projector is a "BiXenon" system with a high and low beam built into it using a solenoid operated shutter to open up the optics for high beam. To operate the projector's shutter a jumper connection to the stock high beam circuit is required to make the high beam function work.

The stock Projector for low beam does not have a movable shutter and is thus a low beam light only.

So, theoretically the original high beam of the 993 unit is redundant to a Morimoto Projector. .

I have the Morimoto projectors with Tore's HID kit as well as his LED high beam kit and have thought about wiring the system so the LED high beam is operated by a separate switch since it is so bright and using the Morimoto Projector's high beam for routine high beam use.

the Retrofit source used to market the 993 retrofit kit…new Morimoto bi-xenon’s, with specific hardware to bolt, and plug and play in our cars. Add in the high beam harness, with Tore B’s HIDs in the bi-xenon location, and an LED in the Oem location…that additional harness gives you essentially two high beams.

I did this mod a few years ago, combined with Tore’s full exterior LED kit with euro fog locations added to the brake lights. Stunning transformation.
OsbourneRuddock (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:17 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I did the Morimoto projectors a few years ago and was only able to set up the headlights so that either the low or high beams were aimed correctly, but not both. I posted a thread on it. There is no adjustability in the stock housing. This was back in late 2018 -- anyone know if there is an updated design? It was very frustrating. I am not a novice working on cars and there was absolutely no way to create a normal high and low beam situation with the Morimoto projectors. It was one or the other.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:00 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

I fitted the Morimoto projectors in March 2018, version 7.0 as above, so they must pre-date yours. I don't understand what your issue is? The projectors, with solenoid-operated cut-off, are angled correctly for low-beam. The high beam doesn't have an 'aim', it is simply the low-beam with the metal cut-off moved out of the way?
Old 07-26-2023, 07:59 AM
OsbourneRuddock
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
the Retrofit source used to market the 993 retrofit kit…new Morimoto bi-xenon’s, with specific hardware to bolt, and plug and play in our cars. Add in the high beam harness, with Tore B’s HIDs in the bi-xenon location, and an LED in the Oem location…that additional harness gives you essentially two high beams.

I did this mod a few years ago, combined with Tore’s full exterior LED kit with euro fog locations added to the brake lights. Stunning transformation.
did same, gained +993 scene points from this mod
Magdaddy (07-29-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 10:54 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Hi Christian,
Nice neat install much like how the factory did this.
If an HID Zenon kit used has compact ballasts the entire system including the ballast will fit inside the factory headlight pods.
Tore (Bergvill FX) makes a kit that also includes a nice mounting for the ballast and shorter high-voltage wires specifically tailored for an installation contained in the pods for the 993.
https://www.bergvillfx.com/categorie...kits-and-lamps
Have a great day,
Andy
Old 07-26-2023, 02:07 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
The beautiful yellow car does not have a build sheet.
The option sticker is inside the hood, the grey silver sticker on the side fender is the color #

Quick Reply: Pa Euros: 993 Headlight upgrade