993 Forum 1995-1998

Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 10:23 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Once again the only actual fact based question in here is completely ignored by the same biased thread 'contributors' who continue to spout nothing but personal opinions on why the far east is the devil, and have now added why EV's are doomed to fail. What a joke.

Has anyone actually had any issues with the Chinese filters? Anyone?

It's not just the cars that are dinosaurs.
Quality contribution.... Pot, meet kettle.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Once again the only actual fact based question in here is completely ignored by the same biased thread 'contributors' who continue to spout nothing but personal opinions on why the far east is the devil, and have now added why EV's are doomed to fail. What a joke.

Has anyone actually had any issues with the Chinese filters? Anyone?

It's not just the cars that are dinosaurs.

I think you are misinformed here on the feedback and need to chill out. First, if it was MIC and same build quality as other filters/previous Mahle, I seriously doubt you'd see the issues. But, they have removed a component (the bypass), the stamping is off center and poorly made, the filter is substantially lighter, and visually is less quality than the serious Mahle filter.

If you've not held one in each hand and inspected them, including by porsche experts who know these components, you really have no right to have an opinion on this topic.

Point is: The Mahle filter is now a poorer quality model and I will not put on my cars.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:08 PM
Bobley
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I think you are misinformed here on the feedback and need to chill out. First, if it was MIC and same build quality as other filters/previous Mahle, I seriously doubt you'd see the issues. But, they have removed a component (the bypass), the stamping is off center and poorly made, the filter is substantially lighter, and visually is less quality than the serious Mahle filter.

If you've not held one in each hand and inspected them, including by porsche experts who know these components, you really have no right to have an opinion on this topic.

Point is: The Mahle filter is now a poorer quality model and I will not put on my cars.
The Porsche branded Mahle parts for 993 aren't changing. The tooling is moving to a new factory. If you're bothered about using inferior aftermarket grade parts then don't buy aftermarket parts, for any part of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 02:24 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobley
The Porsche branded Mahle parts for 993 aren't changing. The tooling is moving to a new factory. If you're bothered about using inferior aftermarket grade parts then don't buy aftermarket parts, for any part of the car.
Please could you help me out on something on this subject.

About five? years ago, Porsche branded oil filters for the 993 were nowhere near the quality of the Mahle Made in Austria 213 and 229. So was what you said above the case? I.E. were the Porsche branded filters then made by Mahle?

I'll dig out the thread.....

ETA damn it was 10 years ago - probably before your watch.

Also the photos, critical to the point of the OP, have gone.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ll-filter.html

ETA2 here is a photo of the Porsche Branded filter back then - it has 4 outer holes not 6 is the easy way to identify.

Last edited by orangecurry; 08-16-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Jlaa (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 02:43 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

This thread is full of innuendo and heresay about made in Austria made in China. As well, inexplicably, this thread also talks about OC54 filters which are not even used in 993s!

As far as I am concerned @Bobley ’s post is the one to go with. If you are at all concerned about aftermarket parts (like Mahle branded parts) then do not buy Mahle branded oil filters. Buy Porsche branded oil filters. Currently Porsche branded oil filters for 993s are made by Mahle for Porsche, but these are Porsche branded filters.

FWIW, I put a made in China Mahle branded big oil filter on my car for the last oil change. For my next oil change, I have a Porsche branded one (not Mahle aftermarket) ready to go.

Mahle aftermarket brand and Porsche brand are not necessarily the same thing.

Mahle aftermarket brand = OEM
Porsche brand = OE

Last edited by Jlaa; 08-16-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:05 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
If you order from an authorized Porsche dealer you will get an Austrian Mahle filter until stock last, it will be interesting when out of stock if Porsche will approve and sell Mahle filters MIC.
@C4Spolar I know what you mean. To be pendatic though, the written word above is not exactly true.

If you order from am authorized Porsche dealer, you will get a Porsche branded filter. A Porsche branded filter can be made for Porsche by anyone Porsche sees fit to make Porsche branded filters …. Mahle, Hengst, Mann, and Purolator are common OEMs for European car manufacturers. These may be made for Porsche in any country that Porsche may or may not deem suitable.

For the past couple of years, the Porsche branded big filter for 993s was made by Mahle for Porsche in Austria. I believe in years past, the Porsche branded big filter for 993s was made by Purolator for Porsche in the USA.

It may be in the future that Porsche switches suppliers for the Porsche branded big filter. As well, that Porsche branded big filter may be made in a country like China. Currently this is not the case, but it may happen in the future.

For what it is worth, China’s automobile industry and its ecosystem of on-shore component suppliers is enormous. The Chinese market for automobiles is larger than the US market.

For nostalgia reasons, I am not overly fond of these changes, but, I recognize that I am a dinosaur driving a dinosaur of a car. As well, many new Teslas are made in China. The world is changing and I am trying my best to adapt.

Last edited by Jlaa; 08-16-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,068 Posts

the Mahle part was the porsche part. I'm hearing for both 993 and 964 sizing that is changing. I've ordered a filter from local dealer to see for myself if they are the same.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:23 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I didn't see anyone say the far east is the devil, I heard people express concern that the quality and reliability of these oil filters may be reduced if they're made in China. This is a perfectly legitimate concern that is shared by basically everyone who's dealt with manufacturing in China. And no, EV's aren't doomed to fail, but the effort to ban ICE cars and force universal adoption of EV's is absolutely doomed to fail. If you're such an empiricist, you can read the article that was posted.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:30 PM
Bobley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by orangecurry
Please could you help me out on something on this subject.

About five? years ago, Porsche branded oil filters for the 993 were nowhere near the quality of the Mahle Made in Austria 213 and 229. So was what you said above the case? I.E. were the Porsche branded filters then made by Mahle?

I'll dig out the thread.....

ETA damn it was 10 years ago - probably before your watch.

Also the photos, critical to the point of the OP, have gone.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ll-filter.html

ETA2 here is a photo of the Porsche Branded filter back then - it has 4 outer holes not 6 is the easy way to identify.

You're clearly on the ball here. I'll be honest, I work in engine development not oil filter manufacturing so I haven't got all the info.

The scavenge filter you show is marked with an ###.02 part number, made in USA so this pre dates Mahle involvement. The 03 part is Mahle Austria and 04 will be the future part from Brazil.

On the small filter, our OC 229 is the Porsche ###.04/05 part and this will become an 06.

I had a chat with a proper Mahle old boy last year about this and he did say there was an issue somewhere along the line but it was fixed quickly. Whatever that fix was, it'll be carried through as all the kit goes to Brazil to make it. I only visited St Michael once and that was back in ~ 2006 ! Yes I am part of the furnitire here... just the (ex) Cosworth part - since 1999
orangecurry (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:20 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I didn't see anyone say the far east is the devil, I heard people express concern that the quality and reliability of these oil filters may be reduced if they're made in China. This is a perfectly legitimate concern that is shared by basically everyone who's dealt with manufacturing in China. And no, EV's aren't doomed to fail, but the effort to ban ICE cars and force universal adoption of EV's is absolutely doomed to fail. If you're such an empiricist, you can read the article that was posted.
Along those lines, the following is offered without comment:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r...zvV1zlxqpx.mp4
Churchill (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 09:49 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I posted pictures of MIC vs MIA in the earlier thread and both had the bypass valve. I don’t believe there have been any reported engine problems from using MIC filters
just fact checking this passionate thread and before I get flamed, I just bought 50000miles worth of Porsche branded MIA filters
the jury is still out on long term performance of this but facts only please.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:51 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by gonzilla:
Churchill (08-17-2023), nabfa1 (05-10-2024)
Old 08-17-2023, 07:57 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 264 Posts

If you're bothered about using inferior aftermarket grade parts then don't buy aftermarket parts, for any part of the car.
So that's probably true most of the time. However, at some point in the lifecycle of the car, your original manufacturer might swop to a inferior grade of part and put their stamp on it.

IMO both of the Porsche-supplied Made in America filters with an .02 part number were inferior in construction, interior content and design, and grade of metal compared to the Mahle non-Porsche stamped filters at the time.

So all I'm saying is 'it depends' and 'things can change over time'

(.... and nobody called anyone a racist when the quality of the 'Made in America' oil filters were called into question )
Old 08-17-2023, 10:19 AM
Bobley
Intermediate

I've got shelves full of knackered cr#ppy British and US 911 parts here if you want to see them , just in the interest of balance...
Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM
nabfa1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As noted before .... I think all these all these filters are amazing choice for these cars .... especially with improved oil & slightly " lower " interval mile changes ( as some are stored a greater deal vs driven - which is what it is and a shame under some circumstances ) . And it's just crazy to think that today a Mahle OC 54 ( @RA) is 4 $ and Mann 8$ - at these low prices / how can you even hire people ? I really would love to know how many OC 54s are really being purchased every year vs. common Subaru/Honda filters ..... With best wishes to all - have a beautiful safe drive when you get the chance

Quick Reply: Future 993 Oil Filter Supply - A statement