TRS Headlight upgrade kit and Tore

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 06:00 PM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TRS Headlight upgrade kit and Tore

Hi Folks!

Just bought a new (to me) 95 Cab and couldn’t be happier! But I drive up a mountain at night and the stock headlights are a bit of a safety concern with deer/moose/bears etc.

So I need to upgrade the system ASAP. Unfortunately Tore’s low-beam kit is out of stock, so in the mean time I’m going to go with TRS. I’m not sure of what options I need and what everything means.

I’m ordering: Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 8.0LHD
RQ Hardware: 993 Mini H1 7.0.

Do I need optional OEM HID Ballast Adapters, or optional HID Ballasts, or H1 HID Bulbs or HD Relay Harness, High Beam splitters or dielectric grease?

And I figure that once Tore comes in stock I’ll upgrade the bulbs to Tore? Does that make sense?
Old 10-07-2023, 07:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Hi Emmasdream,

In reply to your questions:
"Do I need an optional:"
"OEM HID Ballast Adapters", --not sure what these are, you will need the slim ballasts to fit them inside the headlight pods.
"H1 HID Bulbs." --Most of the low beam kits can be ordered with the H1 bulbs
"HD Relay Harness" --No need for any special relay or harness. The factory-supplied 12 volts to the original incandescent halogen bulbs are good-to-go
"High Beam splitters or dielectric grease?" --Not sure what a high beam splitter is or why dielectric grease is needed.

I believe the key advantage of Tore's low beam kit for the Carrera versus a generic universal kit is it includes a mounting for the ballast inside the headlight pod for those who choose to not fabricate their own. It also includes shortened high-voltage wires to the HID bulbs making for a neat installation.
Here is my page on the subject:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ing-zenon.html
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 10-09-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:58 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Just to be clear, the Bergvill and TRS kits are very different.

The low beam Bergvill kit (which I have in my car but is apparently currently on backorder) simply replaces the existing halogen bulbs in your oem low beam projectors with HID bulbs and the necessary ballasts to power them.

With the TRS kit you remove the oem low beam projectors from the headlight housings, and replace them with new projectors that provide both low beam and high beam functions. Yes, you’ll need ballasts. Probably would make sense to call TRS and have them talk you through the options. You could wire the system to also use your existing high beams, not sure if that would make much difference.

TRS link here. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...993?quantity=1

Last edited by centerpunch; 10-07-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:15 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 489 Posts

The new projectors from TRS are worth every penny. If you pair that with Tores kit, you'll have the best of both worlds. Wiring the bixenon shutters to the high beam trigger makes night time driving a pleasure. For these cars, these new headlight setups are game changers. I run both on my car.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:45 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been running Morimotos for over 10 years. They're absolutely amazing. I got 55w ballasts for even more lumen.
The new versions can only run 35w. Still much better than stock.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:50 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmasdream
Hi Folks!

Just bought a new (to me) 95 Cab and couldn’t be happier! But I drive up a mountain at night and the stock headlights are a bit of a safety concern with deer/moose/bears etc.

So I need to upgrade the system ASAP. Unfortunately Tore’s low-beam kit is out of stock, so in the mean time I’m going to go with TRS. I’m not sure of what options I need and what everything means.

I’m ordering: Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 8.0LHD
RQ Hardware: 993 Mini H1 7.0.

Do I need optional OEM HID Ballast Adapters, or optional HID Ballasts, or H1 HID Bulbs or HD Relay Harness, High Beam splitters or dielectric grease?

And I figure that once Tore comes in stock I’ll upgrade the bulbs to Tore? Does that make sense?
Hi and congrats on the purchase of your 993!

I sourced the Tore HID bulbs and ballast, and separately the Morimoto projectors - so I assume the kit from TRS includes their versions of both.

I doubt you'll need to get anything from Tore - I'd hope the 'set' of things from TRS includes everything you need.

BUT I strongly advise you to include the 'High Beam splitters', as what this does is connect a solenoid to your car's full-beam switch - there is a metal bar in the Morimoto projector which creates the low-beam cut-off - when activated, the solenoid lifts the metal bar out of the path of the light, and the HID bulb in the projector is unrestricted.

This makes the separate bulb redundant that provides the additional 'full-beam'. Really. You can leave any old bulb in there.

Unrestricted, and with an HID bulb, the Morimoto projector provides more than enough light in any situation, plus they don't ruin your night-vision, or dazzle oncoming drivers, as unfortunately the ridiculously overbright white lights do on modern cars.

It's a mod that will exceed your expectations, and everybody wins

Last edited by orangecurry; 10-08-2023 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:58 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

i want to echo what the above posters have mentioned -- previous owner put tore's setup in the stock projectors, and they were good. i upgraded the factory projector to the TRS/morimoto setup and things are incredible now -- in fact, the light output and crispness is better than what i had in a previous 2018 BMW M3. the joy of tore's setup is you don't have to figure anything out or mount any ballasts -- it's designed to mate up to factory hardware. i would wait for tore's setup to become available and pair them with the morimoto projectors, simply because i'm too lazy to figure out mounting points or wiring.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:47 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

The availability of Tore’s kit keeps getting pushed back. No fault of his own I’m sure but I’ve been waiting for months. I already did the Morimoto projector install with a generic HID kit and it’s a great transformation.

Quick Reply: TRS Headlight upgrade kit and Tore