Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Asking audio guys about options..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 12:12 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Asking audio guys about options..

My wife loves music in her car and well….a couple of assumptions and communication omissions and I am where I am and would appreciate some advice. I wanted Bluetooth and streaming for her and replaced the Becker unit with a Blaupunkt 46 I got from Gert and very happy with it. It looks OEM and performs well. The fake cassette door which hides the audio ports is a wee fit flimsy so she’ll have to be careful. What I didn’t tell Gert when placing my order is the car has Option 491 (Hi Fi) so the Musway speakers I bought with the Blaupunkt don’t fit in the door enclosure…and so thought to put them in place of the small rear speakers but the seat belt mechanism is situated there and I don’t want to modify the openings on the rear speakers to accept these - which was tempting because the Musway seems really high quality. I also ordered a Mini ISO-RCA from Bergvill which I didn’t need because the system sounds great by simply plugging directly in two of the three connectors from the Becker into the Blaupunkt and not using (what I assume is) the feed to a small amp in what was the Nokia set up?

I have never done audio in an old 911 so my questions are;

Am I correct in that is that third connector goes to the amp which is ? Does anyone know how many watts it is?

When I took off the door handle to access the speaker, there was a mail multiport connector there with nothing attached to it. Was that a Nokia equalizer location that has since been removed?

Is anyone aware of speakers of better quality (particularly the rear set) that would fit in the existing openings with no mods?

What about the Musways added somewhere in the rear seat area appropriately concealed?

The head unit drives the system pretty well actually-would it have enough juice to drive all six speakers if I keep the small rear speakers in situ and add these two Musways?

Any other ideas to improve on what I have…which isn’t horrible. Again…it’s a 911 cab so my expectations are tempered but I only want to get the most out of what we’ve got.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or input.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:56 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Hi Overdraft,

My replies to your questions:

Am I correct in that is the third connector goes to the amp which is ? Does anyone know how many watts it is?

A: See the below document that discusses the connectors, not sure of the power of the amp but it, in practice, seems to be underpowered.
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html

When I took off the door handle to access the speaker, there was a mail multiport connector there with nothing attached to it. Was that a Nokia equalizer location that has since been removed?
A: That was an early DSP notion rarely installed

Is anyone aware of speakers of better quality (particularly the rear set) that would fit in the existing openings with no mods?
Lots of options here for the door speakers

A: This page discusses this:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...or-993-in.html

What about the Musways added somewhere in the rear seat area appropriately concealed?
A: I use a low-frequency harmonic recovery DSP in place of a subwoofer and it seems to work well in combination with an aftermarket power amp under the passenger front seat.

The head unit drives the system pretty well actually-would it have enough juice to drive all six speakers if I keep the small rear speakers in situ and add these two Musways?
A: Not sure which of their products you are speaking to.

Any other ideas to improve on what I have…which isn’t horrible. Again…it’s a 911 cab so my expectations are tempered but I only want to get the most out of what we’ve got.
A: The key issues for me are that a good-sized power amp will result in lower distortion at volumes that cover the engine sounds present in a 993 and using an aftermarket DSP to recover bass harmonics.

Andy
Old 02-11-2024, 07:18 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

hello! i suspect i'm one of only a few people on this forum with a stereo setup -- my build/intro thread might give you some ideas if you're looking for good sound in the car, at a relatively large expense
Old 02-12-2024, 11:49 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a cab with Hifi also. Reached out to Rod at CAI, cai-store.com, (no affiliation). He has a nice recommended set up specifically for our cars, Installed 2 JL Audio 8" subs with matching carpet that sit behind the front seats, Hertz 5 channel amp, Focal 165s components (removed the hifi box and speakers) for the front and focal 4" coaxs for the rear. Blaupunkt Skagen HU has BT and usb. Sounds really good.
The following 2 users liked this post by alsamrob4:
abiazis (02-12-2024), GJSPIN (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:17 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

This is great- thank you all for your advice. I am now armed with enough information to weigh options and develop a good plan for her car.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:00 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

My advice is, don't bother. I bothered. Spent a lot of time and a decent chunk of change doing a very nice amp/speaker/head unit upgrade, and the end result is quite underwhelming. It's better than stock, but not by all that much. The 993 interior is a bad stereo platform -- small and noisy. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.
The following 2 users liked this post by Churchill:
abiazis (02-16-2024), Macs993 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:07 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
My advice is, don't bother. I bothered. Spent a lot of time and a decent chunk of change doing a very nice amp/speaker/head unit upgrade, and the end result is quite underwhelming. It's better than stock, but not by all that much. The 993 interior is a bad stereo platform -- small and noisy. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.
idk man, my car sounds pretty great, but i also am almost 5 figures in and still need about $5k to complete a sub setup haha
Old 02-17-2024, 01:24 AM
sbsurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
This is great- thank you all for your advice. I am now armed with enough information to weigh options and develop a good plan for her car.
A good friend of mine owns a local high end car audio shop. He's taking my 993 in next Tues for a speaker/amp upgrade. Pretty sure he's putting 6 1/2 in speakers in the doors and replacing the stock rear speaker and adding an aftermarket amp in under the pass seat. I have a new Classic Radio in the car so not touching that.

I'll report back at the end of next week with what he has done to the car and how much an improvement it is above stock.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:16 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbsurfer
A good friend of mine owns a local high end car audio shop. He's taking my 993 in next Tues for a speaker/amp upgrade. Pretty sure he's putting 6 1/2 in speakers in the doors and replacing the stock rear speaker and adding an aftermarket amp in under the pass seat. I have a new Classic Radio in the car so not touching that.

I'll report back at the end of next week with what he has done to the car and how much an improvement it is above stock.

Please do. I am resigned to the fact that the car just isn't that good a platform for audio and in the end, I am going to keep the Nokia components in the doors as I find the speaker enclosures are just too cool......and will add a small amp and sub under the passenger seat while upgrading the small speakers in the rear. The Blaupunkt is 50W per channel - its quite good actually. If anyone has a suggestion for the rear speakers that would be a direct fit - please pipe in.....and small sub / amplifier components too .
Old 02-17-2024, 10:23 AM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 286 Likes on 164 Posts

Please do. I am resigned to the fact that the car just isn't that good a platform for audio and in the end, I am going to keep the Nokia components in the doors as I find the speaker enclosures are just too cool......and will add a small amp and sub under the passenger seat while upgrading the small speakers in the rear. The Blaupunkt is 50W per channel - it’s quite good actually. If anyone has a suggestion for the rear speakers that would be a direct fit - please pipe in.....and small sub / amplifier components too .
You may want to put a small 2 channel amp under the drivers seat to run the front speakers, let the head unit power the rears and a powered sub under the passenger seat.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:00 PM
GJSPIN
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Just call Rod at CAI, cai-store.com and get his two cents. He has done me very well installing his 8" subs in my 1988 911 Coupe (8" Image Dynamics) and 993 C4S (8" JL's). I replaced the AMP in the 1988 with an ADS 4 Channel and Helix 4 Channel in the 993. The door speakers are Focal PolyKevlar Component in the both cars (factory grills utilized) and the back speakers are disconnected. The back speakers IMHO (self proclaimed audiophile here) do nothing but deteriorate the sound and imaging. Furthermore, you can get away with a 4 channel amp by eliminating them.

Last edited by GJSPIN; 02-19-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:01 PM
sbsurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Please do. I am resigned to the fact that the car just isn't that good a platform for audio and in the end, I am going to keep the Nokia components in the doors as I find the speaker enclosures are just too cool......and will add a small amp and sub under the passenger seat while upgrading the small speakers in the rear. The Blaupunkt is 50W per channel - its quite good actually. If anyone has a suggestion for the rear speakers that would be a direct fit - please pipe in.....and small sub / amplifier components too .
Im leaving the stock grills in the doors bc I like the look but behind that will be upgraded. Here’s what my buddy recently did to another 993 and I’m following in similar suit with my audio upgrade.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:59 PM
mfenster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, did the Focal 4" Coaxial speakers fit well in your Cab? The factory speakers are not good and I am looking to upgrade.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:22 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, the 4" Focal fit well. I added a 1/2" spacer ring to make sure that the speaker basket didn't come anywhere near the top arms.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 PM
mfenster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Asking audio guys about options..