Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motive power bleeder red vs. black?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 10:55 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Motive power bleeder red vs. black?

Is the upgrade to black worth the 50% premium.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:49 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Enh, depends on your usage. The red has the swivel top and the longer hose which is nice but entirely livable without if you are a diy’er. The aluminum cap is also overkill for home use. It sits in a box in the garage.

If I were bleeding brakes out on the track, I would absolutely get the red. The swivel top and long hose prevents the hose from kinking, and you’re likely being a lot more rough with it.

I personally would mod it with the pressure relief valve and hose disconnects. If you’ve never used the motive before, that first time you unscrew the cap and get a fine whiff of brake fluid in your face is a joy.

Get a longer hose if you are bleeding something other than your Porsche. I had to set the bleeder on a jack stand because the hose wouldn’t reach my X3.

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 03-03-2024 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Mixed up red and black
Old 03-03-2024, 09:25 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

Unless they have changed something- the red was historically the swivel top and metal, the black was plastic with no swivel.

The red is worth the upgrade in my opinion, and if you are planning on keeping a Pcar in the family it fits every model for the past 30+ years.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 03-03-2024, 11:09 AM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Just went out to the garage and holy cow I need to get my eyes checked. Yes black is the standard..red is the upgrade.

Originally Posted by RennPart
Unless they have changed something- the red was historically the swivel top and metal, the black was plastic with no swivel.

The red is worth the upgrade in my opinion, and if you are planning on keeping a Pcar in the family it fits every model for the past 30+ years.

--Aaron
Old 03-03-2024, 11:32 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 370 Posts

They must have changed this years ago. Black label is now the premium version. See link Here

I seem to recall the black label also including a pair of bleeder bottles. That is no longer the case, so the premium is harder to justify. But spending a few extra dollars to avoid spraying brake fluid seems like a no-brainer. If you don’t live in California, denatured alcohol will keep your bleeder clean and happy for many years. Simple green also works OK for the California folks.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:05 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Expect poor quality…

Originally Posted by crw
Is the upgrade to black worth the 50% premium.
I paid the ransom for the more expensive version thinking everything would seal better. I was wrong! What I received leaked at the red cap and also leaked at the pressure gage to tank interface. These weren’t small leaks either. The Motive Power system is cheap and missing some basics. I was able to fix the leak on the red cap side but was hesitant to mess with the leak at the tank given the thin plastic. I did ultimately take the pressure gage out of the tank and fixed the leak at least temporarily. I’ve ordered real bulkhead fittings for the red cap and the tank that should be what this tank comes with at its price point. This will fix all leaks. Both leak areas thread a ⅛” or ¼” NPT through thin sections and expect it to seal. It took me more time to fix the Motive Power Bleeder than do my fluid flush.

I recently bought this system below in order to change my transmission fluid and it worked great. 10X better than the Motive Power System. (Mine was WNZ brand but this looks exactly the same). It arrived leak free at all joints and has a lot more features and is a lot less $$$$. I plan to adapt the red cap to this system since it works better in all aspects. The ball valve will also work if you use the dry method to flush your brake fluid. I hope it helps.

Amazon Amazon

Prokomon 3L Transmission Fluid Pump Oil Filling Filler System Fluid Transfer Pump Tool with Adapters (PT1877-1)

Last edited by zoiks; 03-03-2024 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Link didn’t work

Quick Reply: Motive power bleeder red vs. black?