Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.8L RS spec motor build (aka X51 retro-fit)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

How did you see that Porsche Germany has 7 in stock? The link you shared appears to be a Porsche site in France (looks like it represents a few dealerships). Are you saying that one of those dealers in France has stock?

I ask because, the Porsche dealers in the US said no stock is available in the US. Upon checking with Porsche Germany, that status is "No stock. None on order. No ETA." and they could not order from Germany.

When I checked with RosePassion (France) they informed me the checked all the euro suppliers and with Porsche in Germany and gave me the same status as above.

As for boring our the stock runners, that's an option but I'd just be concerned about making the walls thinner and whether they will hold up over time. The upper part of the varioram is not exactly light. I've previously refinished my varioram as well, except I decided to change the color.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 04-05-2024 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FLYT993 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:54 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Welp… RosePassion replied (and updated their website). Not available. No stock and none on order.
Bummer man... I've found them to be very reliable with availability being accurate on the order site
Old 04-05-2024, 06:30 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's a whole (used) VRam intake with runners if you decide to try boring one out and want one to play with, only $565 and in Pennsylvania (came across it while looking for some other bits)
https://store.weekendrides.com/produ...993-110-183-4r

Old 04-05-2024, 06:41 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

As for boring our the stock runners, that's an option but I'd just be concerned about making the walls thinner and whether they will hold up over time.
How much vacuum do you think a NA 993 engine makes that it would collapse the walls of the intake runners?!

I bored mine as part of my 3.8 build and there is plenty of plenty of meat to work with. 10 years later and somehow no problems.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:07 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Wasn't the vacuum I was concerned about. I never implied such a thing. It was the weight sitting on it and the fact that the walls would be bored out thinner. That's why I said "the upper part of the varioram is not exactly light" but you removed that line when you quoted me.

The wall thickness is probably 5-6mm to start. So removing 1.5mm from each side of the wall via porting is a pretty decent percentage. Also, there isn't a great way be 100% symmetrical all the way up the tube walls as there are some angles involved. My point there is, certain spots may end up pretty thin.

If this has been tried and tested and no concerns over time, great. I was just looking to take the easy route with factory parts and figured it's an easy sale to sell the stock ones which are NLA. I presume the OD of the RS version is larger, since there are also RS versions of the rubber coupler that mates them to the plastic manifold on the head. If the RS versions won't be available, I guess I have no choice then.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:11 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
Here's a whole (used) VRam intake with runners if you decide to try boring one out and want one to play with, only $565 and in Pennsylvania (came across it while looking for some other bits)
https://store.weekendrides.com/produ...993-110-183-4r

Thanks. If I can't find a set of the RS between now and whenever I need them, I'll just work with the ones I have already.

Main reason I was even trying to ****** up a set now is that I had seen the standard ones were NLA. Was trying to hoard a set of the RS before they fell to the same fate. Too late I guess.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Especially for street use I wouldn't be concerned w/ bigger runners at all, In fact the slightly smaller runners will have a higher intake flow velocity and provide a bit better throttle response
Old 04-05-2024, 10:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

How did you see that Porsche Germany has 7 in stock?
I just connect to the Porsche intranet with a code I have, and it says the number available in stock, and the specifics.
From which, I suggested boring the intakes because next to the number in stock, it says the RS ones are 1 kilo each, and the normal ones are 1.25 kilos each.
The link you shared appears to be a Porsche site in France (looks like it represents a few dealerships). Are you saying that one of those dealers in France has stock?
Since I have not been active for a while, I indeed posted the link thinking you needed the parts now. But I am a little bit lost in translation,
Do you need the parts ? or do you want me to answer ?

Every Porsche Dealership in France is owned by Porsche AG.
What is says on their site, is real
but I understand your doubts. Reality is less credible than fiction today

I ask because, the Porsche dealers in the US said no stock is available in the US. Upon checking with Porsche Germany, that status is "No stock. None on order. No ETA." and they could not order from Germany.
doesn't matter

When I checked with RosePassion (France) they informed me the checked all the euro suppliers and with Porsche in Germany and gave me the same status as above.
thursday rosepassion sold 4 units, I called before you called them. probably it happens that sometimes someone jumps on the bandwagon reading posts here. Lets go forward .

but I'd just be concerned about making the walls thinner and whether they will hold up over time.
I am in finance, but I understood when I was young that the thiner the intake walls are, the cooler the intake air is , the better the combustion oxygenation will be.

If need be, drop me a message please

Last edited by geolab; 04-05-2024 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foxman (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:22 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

All you really need to do re the Vram runners is take a flap wheel to the top of the runners where there's a casting bulge. Colin at 9M claimed a several HP difference on the dyno on a modified engine. I took my Vram manifold apart and there is definitely a bulge at the top.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:49 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

How did you see that Porsche Germany has 7 in stock? The link you shared appears to be a Porsche site in France (looks like it represents a few dealerships). Are you saying that one of those dealers in France has stock?

As for boring our the stock runners, that's an option but I'd just be concerned about making the walls thinner and whether they will hold up over time. The upper part of the varioram is not exactly light. I've previously refinished my varioram as well, except I decided to change the color.

that looks beautiful man!!

Quick Reply: 3.8L RS spec motor build (aka X51 retro-fit)