Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT - Does your Spouse Approve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Does your Spouse Approve?

I am curious about the general "spousal appreciation" for our fascination with P-cars or other high performance cars. Also, my wonderful understanding wife always kids me about my inability to keep a car for more than one year - how frequently you buy/ replace vehicles?
Franck
Old 08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Mackenzie
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Just sold my 993 after only 9 months because of safety issues. No side bags or head curtains. So a friend sold me his M5 which i just picked up. Love the new car, but already looking at 2007/8 to pick up a used 997.

Before the 993 i was a new car every five+ years, now am i thinking used cars every 2-3 years.

so i can relate, but i think my wife was right regarding teh upgrade in safety is always worth it.

even the 997 added air bags to the 996 which added to 993. I like taking risks in certain parts of my life, but not with auto safety.

what are u looking at for your next car?
i am not only lookin at the 997 but also aston martin amv8 coming out next year.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:12 PM
lowblow
Racer

Funny thread.....

My wife and I decided we were going to purchase a "date car", (something for us to take out together. We have a 3 year old so don't get out too much alone anymore). Anyway, I looked at all kinds of stuff; old vettes, new vettes, old Z-28's (1968), etc. As soon as I started looking at the 993's I was done!.

My wife laughs everytime I refer to the 993 as "our car". Lately I spend alot of free time on Rennlist and doing all sorts of other "research" about 993's.

I too get the "I want to replace my toy" bug, but don't think so with the 993. It is truly a special car and one that I hope to keep for years to come, (we'll see, I've only had it for a month!!!)

Mike
Old 08-03-2004, 05:41 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Fortunatley for me, my wife grew up around cars. When we were dating (10+ years ago) I had a 911SC. She loved the car, and drove it regularly.

She encouraged me to buy the 993, and even the 944 "race car". She knows and appreciates my passion, and I try not to abuse the "privilage". The kids fit in the 993 and love it...

Before the kids, we used to go to alot of PCA events and she loved those as well. I am still saving for "her" favorite car though, although it may be a while before we purchase one...a 427 Shelby Cobra. Maybe she will let me drive "her car" some time when we make that dream purchase
Old 08-03-2004, 05:54 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Before I got married, I would go through a new car about once every 8 months. It helps to have been in the car business. Now, it's more like once every couple of years. Oddly enough, the 993 has stuck around all this time. And since I've recently discovered Rennlist, it's probably going to be around a bit longer.

She doesn't understand but she's learn to ignore it as well. A while ago, there was a "club" of sorts started in one of the major cities where you pay a yearly fee in order to timeshare a whole bunch of exotic cars.

I may have seriously looked into that if it were available here. Ownership is not that important to me, I just like driving them certain weekends.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Well, I am still single but have had girlfriends who either love the car or tolerate it. I don't mention I own a p-car until we've gone out on a few dates...there are some preconceptions about the p-cars and its owners. I usually drive my SUV most of the time and gradually introduce them to the 993. Most absolutely love the 993! The word frequently used to describe the my 993 is "sexy" and "wicked". For those who just tolerate it... I usually end up not tolerating them for long.

As for buying new cars, I've driven the Vette, Saleen Mustang, Acura NSX...But lately I was toying with the idea about selling mine and trying out a TT.. hmmm....
Old 08-03-2004, 06:09 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy
A while ago, there was a "club" of sorts started in one of the major cities where you pay a yearly fee in order to timeshare a whole bunch of exotic cars.

I may have seriously looked into that if it were available here. Ownership is not that important to me, I just like driving them certain weekends.
WOW!! I would love that!!! ..well, as long as I can use my SUV and not my 993 as the time-share.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:14 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

fortunately I've met my perfect match..

we both are car crazy.. have his and hers 993s... and our weekends in summer are spent at track, autocross OR doing some mod to the cars (he's installing the mods that is.. I just watch )

...and I think we both have the 'gotta get something new' car affliction... My record is 3 months to keep a car.. his is 2 months.. LOL...

BUT I usually try to keep a car 2 years before moving on to the next one...

EXCEPT for my 993.. which has been with me since new.. AND I have no intention of selliing it
Old 08-03-2004, 06:15 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My ex had zero appreciation for cars or, for that matter, just about anything that makes me happy. My current wife is supportive and understands my p-car fetish. Of course she likes nice cars too (for different reasons), so I have to make sure she is driving in style, but now I've got her in a p-car too.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife approves. It would be difficult otherwise. Bought a 964 cab 2.5 years ago, a 993 C4S 1.5 years ago, a 993 TT 7 months ago and a Mini S 6 months ago.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Mackenzie
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

ADSC4s wow. all those cars in 3 years.....all the state taxes. your really an addict
Old 08-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Am I reasonable - last wo years include:
Land Rover -Range Rover (gone - thank god)
Land Rover - Discovery
Jag XJR (gone and missed)
Ferrari 288/308 Norwood
BMW M Roadster
Porsche 993
Van Diemen F2000 (gone) looking for a vintage racer or SCCA spec Miata
Old 08-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Interestingly enough...it was my spouse's idea to get the 993 I have now. She knew that I had been looking at and researching them. Turns out, there was one for sale locally...she made the initial phone call....and the rest ended up being history. While she doesn't completely understand the car fetish thing in the way I probably don't understand shoes and handbags, she does continue to comment on the fact that in her opinion, it really is a beatiful car and for that she understands why I'm so enamoured of it. As far as mods go, she shakes her head but gives me the benefit of the doubt when it comes to knowing what I think will be 'overboard' (hehe). Not knowing the difference between a muffler and a tire, she recently called our own Viper Bob for small birthday gift suggestions....I thought that was pretty funny. She's a keeper!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does my signature answer your question?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:25 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife has always known of my car-nuttiness, and has been genially tolerant of it, even if she hasn't felt a need to share in it. Her appreciation for the automotive world has increased over time, though, and she enjoys going with me to the LA Auto Show every year. Of course, we have to go through the Porsche exhibit every time. She has probably known (or is it dreaded) better than I that a Porsche would be in her (our) future. Far in the future. That led to one of her best zingers. A few years ago, when we were both about 30, I stopped in the Porsche exhibit to admire a Boxster. To my surprise, my wife said she really liked it. She said she could envision us slipping away to Santa Barbara, the top down, the cool seaside air swirling around us. As my spirits started to rise, thinking I had finally broken through to her, she said she could clearly see me turning to her, gazing deep into her eyes, and saying, "You're so beautiful; I can't believe you're 50."

Well.

As it turns out, I didn't have to wait twenty years. She fully supported the notion that I should get the car I really wanted, which I did three months ago. She enjoys it, and confessed this weekend that she actually finds it more comfortable than our Passat.

Now that I've broken the ownership barrier, does anyone have any tips on how to explain the slippery slope to her?

Quick Reply: OT - Does your Spouse Approve?