Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sun Visor with Light, what's the history?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:52 AM
bertsboat
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KM
Peter,

I have one just like it in my '96 tt, so I can say they were available in a coupe. It is only the passenger side visor. It is not specifically listed in the options codes for my car, but there are a couple codes I have been unable to identify. I think it should be identified as a map light since the switch is on the top of the visor when it is up (not used).

Frankly, I'd rather not have it as I don't use it and, over time, the switch has made an indentation in the headliner. It is also easy to mistakenly turn on by bumping the visor when in the up position (likely why I have the headliner indent).

Hope this helps.

Kevin
CAN YOU ADD A PICTURE OF SAID VISOR PLEASE?

Old 03-27-2024, 12:29 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

I made this thread in 2008 and was searching for one. The consensus was that they didn't work. Looks like pics are gone but I can dig some up on my pooter at home later.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ighlight=Visor
Old 03-29-2024, 11:36 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I think Porsche should have offered one on the driver's side of the car too so it takes three hands to use it while driving. An excellent way to test employ the SRS airbag system! Its placement on the passenger side only is all part of that no factory supplied cup holder thing because you shouldn't be doing other stuff while driving. Haven't fully wrapped my head around the need to make the headlight washers inactive when the headlights are turned off yet.
Andy

Also, it appears to be on the wrong side of the visor to allow it to be used in conjunction with the makeup mirror, like every other car in existence, for our lady friends, what gives with this?

Last edited by pp000830; 03-29-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:26 PM
baceto
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sun visor option

I found this on this publication. Apparently only for passenger side.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:30 AM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey bertsboat -
Saw that you were looking for photos from a 993. I no longer have mine but searched through my old photos and found these. Sorry the one is a little blurry but it's all I had. Mine was a little different than the brochure photo that baceto posted. Wish I had taken a picture of the headliner (when the visor was down) so you could also see the indentation made by the light switch on the top of the visor. The sun visor in my car were finished in leather (including the back side of the map light (seen next to the light switch in the photo).

The vanity mirror also had a light that turned on once the cover was slid open. I never did check to see how it was powered. Over the 15+ years I had the car, it always worked when needed (which wasn't very often). There were a few times where the light was left on for extended periods when my wife didn't fully slide the cover closed. Never enough to affect the battery (if the mirror light was in fact hard-wired) and I never had to change a battery (in either the vanity mirror or map light).

-Kevin

993TT Passenger visor map light

993TT passenger visor light switch + vanity mirror

Old 04-02-2024, 11:21 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by KM
Hey bertsboat -
Saw that you were looking for photos from a 993. I no longer have mine but searched through my old photos and found these. Sorry the one is a little blurry but it's all I had. Mine was a little different than the brochure photo that baceto posted. Wish I had taken a picture of the headliner (when the visor was down) so you could also see the indentation made by the light switch on the top of the visor. The sun visor in my car were finished in leather (including the back side of the map light (seen next to the light switch in the photo).

The vanity mirror also had a light that turned on once the cover was slid open. I never did check to see how it was powered. Over the 15+ years I had the car, it always worked when needed (which wasn't very often). There were a few times where the light was left on for extended periods when my wife didn't fully slide the cover closed. Never enough to affect the battery (if the mirror light was in fact hard-wired) and I never had to change a battery (in either the vanity mirror or map light).

-Kevin

993TT Passenger visor map light

993TT passenger visor light switch + vanity mirror
Damn that is so cool.I always wanted this option.

Quick Reply: Sun Visor with Light, what's the history?