Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deltawedge
As far as shock construction is concerned, the important factors are the quality of materials used and the internal tolerances. Whether it is a short throw or a long throw shock is not directly related to shock life. In fact, the shorter the travel of the piston in the shock, the more force that needs to be generated per movement of the piston to provide a specified level of damping. As a result, the valves in the shock (assuming a fluid type shock) will undergo more stress & require tighter tolerances than a shock with a longer travel. As the parts wear, dimension changes will be more noticeable in a shock with a shorter travel compared to a longer travel.
Thank you very much. That is along the lines of what I was thinking, but couldn't express it as eloquently as you have.

After about 23k miles, the front shocks in my 95 993 are worn. It is noticeable as a pogo stick effect on the freeway at speeds around 60-70 mph when traveling over uneven road. No leaks and the push down on the fender trick is not useful as the fender does not move when pressed on (without denting the fender). They will eventually be replaced with HDs.
Now that the pogo-stick effect is so pronounced, do you think that it's possible that the shocks were the same, only to a slightly lesser degree at 22k miles? And to take this to its logical conclusion, couldn't we say the same for 21k, 20k, 19k, etc.? My point is that unless we have some basis on which to compare the system at hand to one that is "perfect", we're likely to miss the fact that the shocks are worn until they get really bad and start pogo-ing down the road.

The first sign of worn shocks is under-damped suspension movement (as compared to "properly damped" to the extent that the designers intended). This gradually progresses into a condition where the suspension movements are more and more severely under-damped, until, finally, we arrive at un-damped movement. This is what you're probably seeing with the pogo-effect. But at which point along the degradation slope do the shocks need to be replaced? In my opinion, it is when the under-damped movement has reached the level up with which the driver will not put. For me, in a car that was regularly driven to its limits, that was about 10k miles. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I dont know what you guys are talking about? When I had my 993 school bus, my shocks were still fine at 110k miles.

Fine for scraping the door handles in the esses at VIR that is.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:06 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Yes, I'm sure they were "just fine" for someone with your skill set.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
JustAnotherPorsche

DJ-----were you born an ******* or is that a trait you have developed overtime. If you want to express your opinion, do so, but allow others to do the same. Maybe you don't take as good of care of your car as other do and that why you have problems.
Chill!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPorsche
DJ-----were you born an ******* or is that a trait you have developed overtime. If you want to express your opinion, do so, but allow others to do the same. Maybe you don't take as good of care of your car as other do and that why you have problems.
Chill!

DJ + EJ combined posts 3,364

J.A.P. total posts 12

= maybe you missed the joke
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Chill!

Hey JustAn,

I think it was combination of both. How about you? I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss to see what it is that I wrote that has upset you so. Give me a hint. Was it what I wrote to EJ?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
JustAnotherPorsche

Wow! With that logic, I guess I should just post alot of garbage as many here have and then in your eyes I will become an expert. Read some of his posts and i think you'll see his knowlege is a little lacking. Ahhhh....so provacative, isn't it. He won't be able to keep from responding.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. No
DJ + EJ combined posts 3,364

J.A.P. total posts 12

= maybe you missed the joke
There seems to be alot of this going around lately. People need to realize that there is alot of pointed sarcasm on this board between folks who have known each other for a long time.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Wow! With that logic, I guess I should just post alot of garbage as many here have and then in your eyes I will become an expert. Read some of his posts and i think you'll see his knowlege is a little lacking. Ahhhh....so provacative, isn't it. He won't be able to keep from responding.

Hey, Guys, Agro's back!

Please go pee in someone else's soup.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Please don't feed the trolls.

Good point. My mistake.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ
Yes, I'm sure they were "just fine" for someone with your skill set.
This is how you're supposed to do it DJ, so no one inadvertently gets the wrong impression. Didn't your mother teach you anything about netiquette?

Yes, I'm sure they were "just fine" for someone with your skill set

Old 01-04-2005, 04:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Buckle Up Folks, and Keep your Hands and Feet Inside At All Times!!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

What kind of deals does AJUSA have right now... I could only find $2289 for PSS9s which is cheaper than Carnewal's exchange-adjusted price... anything else I'm missing? 'Cause I know I need some suspension help.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randall G.
This is how you're supposed to do it DJ, so no one inadvertently gets the wrong impression. Didn't your mother teach you anything about netiquette?

Yes, I'm sure they were "just fine" for someone with your skill set

whats with all the emocaons...or whatever the hell they are?

Quick Reply: Shot Shocks