Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Shot Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I have, oh lets see, say 20,000 miles and 4 years on my after-market Bilstein HDs are they also ready for the dumpster or a rebuild?

Where might one go to find a shock dyno or a Bilstein rebuilder in SOCAL?

I don't drive fast enough to heat up the oil in 'em, but word has it the P.O. was a little hard on the equipment.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Back to Shock Absorbers

Originally Posted by Sputnik
Hi all,

I've just curious what could be the symptoms of shot OEM shocks?
My car has 37.7K miles on odometer. Should I suspect my shocks are dead? May be it is time for for Mr. Bilstein?.... AJUSA has some special deal on them right at this moment. I just would like to make sure the shocks really need the replacement.
Thanks in advance!
Sputnik, If you search this 993 board "monroe" or "suspension" you will find a lot of info on your question. It has been almost a consensus here that the 993 OEM shocks, specially if they're Monroe are very short lived. Some members are reporting 10K miles and they are worn out (meaning not able to control/slow the speed of the compression and rebound damping). Here's one of the threads which talks about the poor longetivity of OEM shocks:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/137326-car-feels-bouncy-shocks-toasted.html
Old 01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I started to think the shocks are dead is because I now have an impression that while driving at speed 50-60 mph over some imperfection on a road the front wheels seems to shift left/right...just like they are not steady anymore. I could be wrong...but it seems I never noticed this kind of "wheels shifting" behavior before. By other words I tend to believe that this side-to-side movement of the wheels (if such does exist) is caused by not properly working shocks.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputnik
The reason I started to think the shocks are dead is because I now have an impression that while driving at speed 50-60 mph over some imperfection on a road the front wheels seems to shift left/right...just like they are not steady anymore. I could be wrong...but it seems I never noticed this kind of "wheels shifting" behavior before. By other words I tend to believe that this side-to-side movement of the wheels (if such does exist) is caused by not properly working shocks.
Aside from the fact that I think your shocks are worn, this may also be caused by some alignment issues. This kind of behavior is often caused by too much toe out and/or too much negative camber. By too much, I mean more than one might desire for normal road conditions. My GT3's front is set with 0 toe and -1.7° camber and it does behave in the manner you describe. But, those alignment settings do wonders for high speed handling and steering sharpness. Especially on the track.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by The Pope
05 Hummer H2 SUT
04 Challenge Stradale
My GOD! If the Pope drives a Stradale, that must mean God Himself drives an Enzo! And I always thought he was a Turbo kind of guy?!

And a Hummer? What Would Jesus Drive?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking thru some old threads. Found this one, and LMAO.....oh the good old days!!,,,,,,,when you could get good info!!!!!.......and the bad info....was, well........gotten rid of quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

Quick Reply: Shot Shocks